Games by Himalaya?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Paladinlover
Knight Status

Games by Himalaya?

#1 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:48 pm

It's a been a long time since I was really active on these forums, or on most sierra related forums for that matter. I think I might have missed out on some releases by Himalaya studio. So when I checked their website out, I found that they had new stuff posted up, by they said it was made by Wadjet eye games.

Since I made a promise a long time ago to support to the company in every way that I can, which naturally includes buying all the games they make (and I realize I'm long over due on that promise), I was just curious as to who those Wadjet eye games people are, and how they're affiliated with Himalaya? Can anyone clarify that for me, please.

Till next time stay cool 8))

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

Re: Games by Himalaya?

#2 Post by Klytos » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:02 pm

As far as I'm aware, those games are cross-promotions from Big Fish games, who released their HOG Al Emmo game a little while back. I don't believe they've got anything to do with Himalaya. I could be wrong of course...

As far as purchasing the Himalaya HOG game, it's not too bad (I'm a big fan of HOG's as a bit of a time waster) but it pales compared to the Big City Adventure series. But, it's quite good and not expensive so worth it if you like hidden object games. Be aware of purchasing games on Big Fish though, they fuck you over by signing you up to their monthly club which will auto-debit a few dollars every month in exchange for points in their shop. Which is okay except it's very vague that you've signed up for this until you check you bank statements. A money making plot of course, and they're fully aware of it's sneakiness in getting you signed up to it, in fact when you get onto their site to discontinue the monthly fee one of the options for quitting is "I wasn't aware this was an ongoing fee" or something similar.

Not trying to put you off, just be aware and cancel straight away if you don't want their thing.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#3 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:09 pm

I get your point. I think I might actually get those games anyways since at least I'd be supporting the adventure game genre and those who're making them. Priority, of course, would go to Himalaya games. :)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Don't expect any miracles from the Postcards from Anozira game if you're a seasoned adventure game fan. We made that game as an experiment on how such a game would perform financially - coming from a position of having no prior knowledge or experience in that genre. It re-uses a lot of the original Al Emmo game's backgrounds and revisits the same setting to maintain the theme of the previous game, but it's aimed at a completely different audience (the casual market). The game was made on a budget of $500 because it was only experimental and we didn't want to spend too much on something that may not even work. That said, it turned out to be quite profitable. But we have a more polished iHOG in the works at the moment, which will have an original story and original artwork (completely unrelated to Mage's Initiation).

Actually, I've been meaning to get a non-Big Fish Games version of Postcards from Anozira uploaded, but never found the time to get around to setting one up.

The other titles by Wadjet Eye Games are point & click adventures developed or published by indie developer Dave Gilbert. He also uses AGS to make his games. I'd definitely recommend getting Gemini Rue; it's got great atmosphere and received excellent reviews.

By the way, you can now also purchase the full soundtrack to Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine by Tom & Dianne Lewandowski, for $5 USD. This updated version contains 53 music tracks in total. The original 41 tracks that were on the Soundtrack CD and an additional 12 in-game music tracks that wouldn't fit on the CD. It's a digital download and the music is in Ogg Vorbis format. An MP3 version can be provided on request.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#5 Post by Paladinlover » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks. :) I should be scraping together enough money for these games in a week or so.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:15 am

I became a fan of Wadjet Eye games by seeing them on the Himalaya site and the Blackwell series is beyond excellent. Seriously, considering they were made as recently as they were they're on par with some of the best VGA adventure games.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#7 Post by Klytos » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:21 am

I didn't know about Wadjet games. Cool. Thanks for the tip!