Suggestion: QfG 5 DEmake.

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Andreas Wirsén
Peasant Status

Suggestion: QfG 5 DEmake.

#1 Post by Andreas Wirsén » Wed May 08, 2013 6:18 am

Dear AGDs (Well, not so anonymous anymore)!

I have enjoyed your fine work with the first two King's Quests, and with pleasure registered that you have taken upon yourselves the much needed work of a, finally, playable VGA version of QfG 2. The fact that I was born in 1983 perhaps explains the facts that I never was able to get anywhere in the older Sierra text games, though me and their VGAs got along slightly better. QfG 2 always was among the most well-scripted in a very well-scripted series, and this new user interface at last makes it accessible. Where were you in my teens? If I could teleport this remake back through time to my younger self, I'd do it, damn the consequences to the time-space continuum!
I remember reading in a interview that the Coles, Lori and Corey, regretted how QfG 2 seemed stranded in the past, and therefore sold less, as it was released along with VGA games with point-and-click interfaces. This, they said, influenced their decision not to make QfG 5 into an oldstyle VGA game, with, you might agree, disagreeable results - the graphics they chose for QfG 5 were so expensive as to prohibit much specialized animation, and made the fifth game, in my humble opinion, probably the weakest in the entire series (although my age when I played it probably influenced that impression).

So, how about not a remake but a DEmake of QfG 5, along with some fleshing out of the story and more scenes? The Coles are cool, and might perhaps even be approachable for any unused scripts for QfG 5 that they might have lying around, and that had to be cut out because of budget restraints during the making of the first game.

Just a suggestion! If you go with it, I promise you I'll donate such a huge sum of money it'll force me to live on noodles for a month, which, as I'm a welfare recipient living in Sweden isn't all that much, but more than you'll get from any well-fare recipient living in Zaire, or even the US of A, I am sure.

My respect to you and your work.

Andreas Wirsén

adeyke

Re: Suggestion: QfG 5 DEmake.

#2 Post by adeyke » Wed May 08, 2013 2:55 pm

That's not something AGDI will do. I also don't don't think it would actually be a good thing in general.

QfG5 wasn't really in a good place to start. The series had set up a lot of loose ends that need tying up, and there was a lot of power creep. That is, the hero already had already become so powerful, learned so much, and defeated such strong enemies that another game was going to become either a letdown or ridiculous. That means that, even if you started entirely from scratch and just wanted to make a fifth QfG game, you were already fighting an uphill battle.

There were parts of the game that actually worked quite well, and there were other parts that were disappointing. It would certainly be convenient if the latter of these could be directly correlated with the change in game engines, but that's not the case. A lot of the bad parts had nothing to do with the switch to 3D (and would thus still need to be solved somehow even after changing back to 2D), and a lot of the good parts were actually facilitated by that move (which means that those would be lost in the demake).

It would make more sense for them to make an entirely new game. So that's what they're doing.

MiklCraw4d
Peasant Status

Re: Suggestion: QfG 5 DEmake.

#3 Post by MiklCraw4d » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:20 am

I just wanted to chime in and say I would throw all the money at kickstarting a QFGV de-make. Especially if it added content to flesh out the experience and make it fit better with the previous games....