Time-based storlyine in QfG II

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Khalon
Peasant Status

Time-based storlyine in QfG II

#1 Post by Khalon » Tue May 11, 2004 8:20 am

I'm just wondering whether you are keeping the time-based system of managing the events in QfG II VGA...
One thing that detracted a little from QfG II in my eyes was the time-critical storyline (fire elemental on day 4, earth on day 8, air on day 12, or whatever it is... sorry, I used to know the whole script of QfG off by heart, but none of them will run on my new computer, so I haven't played any in 3 years... it's torture...). I was always quite a skill-enhancement oriented player, so I liked to have time to beef up my stats before entering the storyline... QfG II would often just become something to get through to get onto QfG III on my all night Questathons simply because I didn't feel I had time to get to know the game (or to work out). Problem is, I'm not sure how you could change this and keep the same urgency of the storyline, unless maybe it was set up in such a way that a certain action by the hero would initiate the chain of events.
But then, maybe it's just me, since there are hundreds of QfG fans here, and noone else is complaining...

Sorry, this has turned into a massive ramble.
I'll summarise:
-The time-based storyline in QfG II always cramped my style.
-Does anyone else feel the same, or am I just wierd?
-If there is any wish to change it, what else could be done?

Sorry to ramblain on my first post here, but anyway...

Morilibus
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Morilibus » Tue May 11, 2004 11:12 am

I remember having enough time to beef up my character regardless of the time-based storyline... Although, I've always gone into qfg2 by importing from qfg1, and always giving my character enough money by the end of qfg1 so that I need not worry about money in qfg2, so I could just buy as much pills as need without worrying about how to obtain the money to pay for them, I arrived in shapier RICH!

Of course it meant spending hours playing that knife game in the thieves guild, or fighting monsters... or later on when I learned of the mushroom cheat, that soon became the way to make my characters rich.

Anyway, more about the post; I'm game either way, doing something to trigger the story line might be a good idea, not sure what it could be, a conversation or something, or as an alternative maybe just giving the hero more time. if it is for example like you said (fire elemental on day 4, earth on day 8, air on day 12) just extend it by a few days between each or something to that extent:(fire elemental on day 6, earth on day 12, air on day 18 ect) or just delay the first strike:(fire elemental on day 10, earth on day 14, air on day 18)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Tue May 11, 2004 11:18 am

Sorry, this has turned into a massive ramble.
I'll summarise:
-The time-based storyline in QfG II always cramped my style.
-Does anyone else feel the same, or am I just wierd?
No, you're not the first one to complain about it. But there's a very sharp contrast between the people who agree with you and the ones who disagree. We've had remarks before about how QFG2's 16-day limit in Shapeir won't allow them to get all their skills all the way up to 200. On the other hand, many others insisted that they got their skills up without much trouble and that they even ended up sleeping the days away at the end. I'm one of the latter cases.
-If there is any wish to change it, what else could be done?
I don't think changing this aspect of the game will be something many people agree with, since time IS important in the game. And there's also this matter of us having to do a significant bit of rescripting in order to change things; effort which would be better off focused on other things.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#4 Post by Spikey » Tue May 11, 2004 12:34 pm

BTW, can you skip time in Raseir by resting? I remember walking around eternity till nightfall or something (too long ago).

Don't know if it has been asked before.

Spikes

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Tue May 11, 2004 1:05 pm

Yes, yes, yes, we'll get the most requested improvement over the original in there, don't you worry. :)

Khalon
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Khalon » Wed May 19, 2004 3:57 am

cool, cool...
if it's contraversial it's always best to stick with the original, I guess.
Ah well...
Yeah, morlibus, I did the same =P
I just found it a drag not importing a 200-in-everything millionaire character into QfG III... QfG II was the only one I couldn't perfect in that respect. But then, I'll admit after a while I did start treating it as just something to get through, so I only woke up for the important days... mebbe it is possible.
Sorry, I ramble. It's in my nature.

Gav
Knight Status

#7 Post by Gav » Thu May 20, 2004 1:11 am

I'm one of those who had to sleep for large portions of the game in order to move things along. But then I probably did import an uberhero. So... yep, things are good as they are, since I'll start QFG2VGA with a new hero.

techie775
Knight Status

resting in the fabulous rasier!

#8 Post by techie775 » Thu May 20, 2004 1:39 am

I just want to say that's awesome that you can rest in rasier. In the EGA you to make sure you bought enough vigor pills and you knew your way around the city so you wouldn't get stuck in the maze to kill time,(it was confusing even if you took the orginal map and turned it upside down). Also if you ran out of vigor pills and you need to do events in rasier you were lucky to get it all done (like stealing the black bird). Are you going to have it where you can rest anywhere in rasier, be able to rest in the inn or something else? If it's top secret, just say.

zigi
Peasant Status

#9 Post by zigi » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:13 pm

the reason i never played quest for glory 2 is: 1) when it was created i was probably 3... 2)i hate games that i need to type things to do, i dont know every word in english and its annoying, also the walking the EGA version is annoying, if i click somewhere it will go strait line to that place until he dies or stop if hit wall...

anyway, i played QFG 2 before but not much but i still dont want new areas, times or any other changes; all i want is new graphic and not to type anything... (if ill need to type i prefer not to play at all)

did you know that if you type (talk to dude) it will work, i dont know if everywhere but it works. :smokin

Adventure one
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Adventure one » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:44 pm

zigi wrote:the reason i never played quest for glory 2 is: 1) when it was created i was probably 3... 2)i hate games that i need to type things to do, i dont know every word in english and its annoying, also the walking the EGA version is annoying, if i click somewhere it will go strait line to that place until he dies or stop if hit wall...
Hello, I don´t understand your problem with the old type-in-games. In the old games you can train your charakter x times faster than in probably in the remake or in Qfg3 and Qfg4. Train a charakter in these both games is like burning in hell, he he.

Jafar
Super Star

#11 Post by Jafar » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:43 am

{PICK UP ROCKS}
{PICK UP ROCKS}
{PICK UP ROCKS}
{THROW ROCKS}
[Spacebar]
[Enter]
[Spacebar]
[Enter]
[Spacebar]
[Enter]
[Spacebar]
[Enter]
[Spacebar]
[Enter]

*Click*
*Click*
*Click*

*CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK*
*CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK*

Point and Click or Type interface, raising skills doesn't seem any different to me.

adeyke

#12 Post by adeyke » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:45 am

With the rock throwing example, the three VGA games are very different, though.

In QfG1VGA, there's a very slow animation when you pick up rocks. This makes it very tedious to get a lot of rocks and can slow the training down a lot.

In QfG4, picking up an object will make it the new active cursor. This also makes picking up rocks very tedious.

So training in QfG3 feels much quicker than in the other two.

Jafar
Super Star

#13 Post by Jafar » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:52 am

Ok, maybe QG4 was harder. But throwing rocks isn't the only way to max out throwing.