Gabriel Knight and other ramblings...

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

sadisticpenguin
Peasant Status

Gabriel Knight and other ramblings...

#1 Post by sadisticpenguin » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:37 pm

New member here, so please, be kind :D

Love what you guys are doing...taking fantastic games and just making them...FANTASTIC-ER. I know you guys got your hands full with QFG2, so I'll try to make this quick.

A lot of speculation and suggestions have been made in regards to your next remake, and I just want to add one more option to the list:

Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned.

Now, I know what you're saying...hey, dummy, that game's fairly recent! State of the art, even!

Well, even though I'm a huge fan of Gabriel Knight, I could never get into it's final chapter...nor come close to finishing it. Simply because I thought the 3D graphis were boring and took out all of the atmosphere that the first two games had, and because frankly, the interface sucked.

So, I'm thinking...what if you guys remade it in the same vein as the first one? (Arguably the best, story, graphics and interface wise.)

Make it with painted backgrounds, and better character designs...you know, put some more of that creepy atmosphere in! And an easier interface. And though I'm aware of how difficult - and yes, maybe even stupid this sounds - it's just one guy's helpful suggestion. Make of it what you will.

Anyways, good luck on the eagerly anticipated QFG2, and all of your other future endeavours (whatever they may be.)

Also, one more quick question, for the game makers...I know that QFG2 will feature "headshots" of the characters for dialogue, right? Did you guys happen to model Ferrari and Ugarte after Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre? Please say yes! ;)

Anywho, thanks, and good luck!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#2 Post by Spikey » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:12 pm

It would take one hell of a job to do that, only to get a game that is not as good as the original, and BTW it's still reissued and sold so it would infringe copyright heavily.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#3 Post by Klytos » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:11 am

I think GK3 is quite good as it stands, much better than the second game. I would agree that the first game is the best (with the almost LucasArts interface...).
It would take one hell of a job to do that, only to get a game that is not as good as the original, and BTW it's still reissued and sold so it would infringe copyright heavily.
As apposed to remaking games which are not sold anymore? Is that less illegal?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:50 am

Nope. From a legal POV there is no difference. But how much damage the copyright holder has suffered from the infringement does tend to make a difference in practice.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by GuJiaXian » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:56 pm

Ah, but can we get an answer to sadisticpenguin's second question? Will pictures of Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre be used for Ferrari and Ugarte? I've long been a Peter Lorre fan, and that would be just the perfect touch for QFG2VGA.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:11 pm

Sorry. I can't answer that question yet.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by GuJiaXian » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:54 pm

Perhaps AGD1 or 2 will unexpectedly drop by...

*cough* hinthint *cough*

Thepal
Knight Status

#8 Post by Thepal » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:47 am

I figure the answer has to be yes. They are Ferrari and Ugarte. The whole point behind them is that they are from Casablanca. So changing them would make no sense.