Mythology and Quest for Glory

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#101 Post by Gronagor » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:21 pm

Heh. Or South African Vampires. :p

I guess you need a few more Netherlands visitors Erpy. :)

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#102 Post by Jontas » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:15 am

Gronagor wrote:Heh. Or South African Vampires. :p

I guess you need a few more Netherlands visitors Erpy. :)
This is even funnier at 1:30 in the morning, yeah I'm an insomniac.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#103 Post by Spikey » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:27 am

We could start a Dutch AGDI forum. :eek And not understand each other, of course.

Radiant
Knight Status

Goed idee

#104 Post by Radiant » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:26 am

Ik ben voor!

;)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: African Mythology

#105 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:09 pm

To get back on topic...
Jontas wrote:Wages Of War had little Egyptian or African mythology, sure they had the scenery, but the characters were very generic. Had they tapped into African mythology and introduced creatures and characters from Native African lore, we would have had a much more intriguing game.
...that's not entirely accurate. The religion of Tarna (the worship of Sekhmet) was taken directly from Egyptian mythology. Granted, there was little in the way of interactive mythological creatures, but the cultural aspect somewhat offset that lapse.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#106 Post by Gronagor » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:55 am

Yeah... but I think he meant the rest of the game. The Coles themselves admitted Jamaican culture was used instead of African.

And the Simbani-village is based on a more 'southern' culture. The Coles made that village from a photo they got somewhere. :)

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#107 Post by Jontas » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:24 am

Gronagor wrote:Yeah... but I think he meant the rest of the game.
Exactly, it was lacking as far as diversity goes, besides that already mentioned, there isn't much else.

For example, take the Tokoloshe:
http://www.vanhunks.com/tokoloshe1.html

Now this little guy should have been included in the game, the story would have been darker, but interesting. This is just one example of Africa's wealth of folklore and diversity of culture.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#108 Post by Gronagor » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:49 am

Hehe. Yeah... I've had some nice times scaring the people with the Tokoloshe. :lol

Shade
Peasant Status

#109 Post by Shade » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:09 am

That would be quite a hefty undertaking as African Mythology is very diverse.. maybe Anansi the storyteling spider is a prominent enough figure.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#110 Post by Boogeyman » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:22 pm

Isn't Ugarte from Casablanca?

Speaking of QFG2, I just got a strange message: It said that Devon had encountered what he thought was a deadly Fragmentation Bug, but it was infact the harmless Southern variety. He squished it under his foot.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#111 Post by Erpy » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:40 pm

Yes, Ferrari, Ugarte and the Blue Parrot inn are from Casablanca. That message you get when you first enter there is a famous quote from the movie. ("Of all the gin joints, she had to walk into mine.")

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#112 Post by Boogeyman » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:03 pm

Thanks! Any thoughts on that strange message I got? I wonder if this Fragmentation Bug could be related to the File Corruption Bug of Speilburg. I saw the message when I pressed Enter during the Intro. I had never seen it before and have not been to recreate it. The system I am using to play QFG2 is DOSbox.

Jafar
Super Star

#113 Post by Jafar » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:06 am

I'm not sure what triggers that message. It seems to happen when you leave the magic shop. I think the bug from QG1 killed you when you tried to leave Yoricks maze the same way you came in.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#114 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:30 am

No, it killed you when you left the thief guild in QFG1 sometimes.

I'm not certain what caused the southern fragmentation bug. I thought it was in the forbidden city somewhere.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#115 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:30 pm

Yet I encountered it in the Intro and have not seen it again.

BTW, is it possible to encounter the File Corruption Bug in QFG1 Remake?

Jafar
Super Star

#116 Post by Jafar » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:24 am

As far as I know, its not possible.

Keenermart
Royal Servant Status

#117 Post by Keenermart » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:12 am

I think that Southern Fragmentation bug was just a little easter egg.. Could be totally wrong here, but I've played QFG2 through more times than any of the others, and I've encountered it multiple times, and always in a different location and at different points in the game... I don't know a thing about programming, and therefore I don't know if it's possible to make something happen in a game in a purely random fashion. However, nothing bad ever happened when that message popped up, it just went away when I hit 'Enter.' I would have thought Erpy would know a little something about it... but again, I know nothing about all that programming stuff...

Bonehead
Peasant Status

#118 Post by Bonehead » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:17 pm

Alright people check out this shizzagee...

In QG1, Brauggi is a play on Bragi, on of the Gods in the Aesir, the pantheon of Gods in Norse Myths, who guarded Bifrost, the rainbow bridge into Asgard, the home of the Aesir. And earlier, someone said something about the World Tree being the center of the world in Norse mythology. Actually the world was created from the body of the giant Ymir after he was killed (forget by who)

About vampires, they didn't "orginate" anywhere (least I dont think they did). They have been around in just about every culture. The Upir, Russian vampire, differed greatly from the Chiang-Sih, the Chinese vampire, or the Asema, or South American vamp (well at least in some part of South America).

All vampires are different in each religion, and each area, they are spoken of. The Asema of South America was an old man or woman who changed at night. Their skin peeled off and they turned into a ball of incandescant light that sucked victem's blood. The Strigoi, the Roman vampire, im not too sure about...but I know that they were called Strigoi :D . Kali was a God in India who was, guess what, a vampire.

There were also many different ways to kill or stop a vampire. Obviously the stakeof oak, garlic, fire, sunlight, holy water, and decapitation are well remembered. Different countries have different ways of stopping vampires. Some places have priests give the last rites and such at burial, so that the soul is taken away from the body. Another is to fire a bullet into the coffin of the dead person. more of the less known is using the same type of thorn that made up Jesus's thorn crown thing when he was crucified, and using it as a shield against the vampire. another was to scatter seeds over the grave of the vampire, so it had to count them very slowly. Another is the Crucifix and the wafer, which kept the vampire at bay (so did different symbols in other countries, but thats not important).

as you guys might have guessed...i love vampires...and Norse mythology too.

EDIT- it was Heimdall that guarded Bifrost, not Bragi