Mythology and Quest for Glory

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#51 Post by Swift » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:50 am

Ooh, interesting read. Thanks for the info.

Jafar
Super Star

#52 Post by Jafar » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:19 am

Angels were made from Light actually. The rest is very accurate though.

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#53 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:15 pm

Wow, no kidding! Thanks for the info, brainiac!
Solomon was well-known for converting or containing many jinn; the typical method of containment was in bottles, sealed with his own seal ring, and cast into the ocean.
So that explains the whole "Genie in a bottle" thing, eh? Now I also see where the Solomon's Ring thing in FFVIII came from, too, although why it summons Doomtrain and not Ifrit I don't know. *shrugs*

Great stuff! Thanks again! :D

~Wolfgang

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#54 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:31 pm

Yeah, I've always found it strange how most other QFG games tend to avoid making any non-subtle links with religious elements. But QFG2 and the Iblis connection is one very distinct one.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#55 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:32 pm

I really *LOVED* the mythology links in QFG, but it's hard not to reference relgions in using them; most myths are born of them!

Bt

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#56 Post by Brainiac » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:04 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:I really *LOVED* the mythology links in QFG, but it's hard not to reference relgions in using them; most myths are born of them!

Bt
Exactly. The most fertile and oft-used mythologies in fantasy work (Greek and Norse) were the backbone of their faiths. Separating myth and religion is pretty much impossible; just look at Christianity and the Eden Creation myth.

Blummer102
Peasant Status

#57 Post by Blummer102 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:10 am

The mythological references in the QFG series were awesome. I was impressed when I opened a book of Russian folklore in the libary a couple months ago, only to discover that half of the characters and stories in the book had somehow been incorporated into QFG4, including the Rusulka, Baba Yaga, the Domovoi, etc.

Makes me wish the series hadn't ended, though. There are so many other unexplored mythologies that could've been great QFG games. Imagine a QFG game in an Asian setting with Chinese mythological references, and I never really felt that Norse mythology was used to its true potential, even in QFG1...

etherlad
Royal Servant Status

#58 Post by etherlad » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:48 pm

Blummer102 wrote:Makes me wish the series hadn't ended, though. There are so many other unexplored mythologies that could've been great QFG games. Imagine a QFG game in an Asian setting with Chinese mythological references, and I never really felt that Norse mythology was used to its true potential, even in QFG1...
An Asian setting was likely going to be the basis for Quest for Glory 6. Theoretically, after QfG5, the Coles wanted to create a second QfG series, perhaps portraying the son or daughter of the hero from the first series.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#59 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:28 am

Blummer102 wrote:The mythological references in the QFG series were awesome. I was impressed when I opened a book of Russian folklore in the libary a couple months ago, only to discover that half of the characters and stories in the book had somehow been incorporated into QFG4, including the Rusulka, Baba Yaga, the Domovoi, etc.

Makes me wish the series hadn't ended, though. There are so many other unexplored mythologies that could've been great QFG games. Imagine a QFG game in an Asian setting with Chinese mythological references, and I never really felt that Norse mythology was used to its true potential, even in QFG1...
Was the Rusalka naked like in QFG4?

Also, isn't Icebella from KQ5 also Russian?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#60 Post by Gronagor » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:20 am

Blummer102 wrote:I never really felt that Norse mythology was used to its true potential, even in QFG1...
Heh. Why are you guys still refering to QfG1 as Norse?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#61 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:03 pm

Gronagor wrote:
Blummer102 wrote:I never really felt that Norse mythology was used to its true potential, even in QFG1...
Heh. Why are you guys still refering to QfG1 as Norse?
Yeah, QFG1 wasn't Norse...... it had ONE Norse reference, and that was Brauggi

Bt

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#62 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:19 am

Yeah... and that was actually refering to another country to the north.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Myth

#63 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:04 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:Yeah, QFG1 wasn't Norse...... it had ONE Norse reference, and that was Brauggi
Yeah, Spielburg was, in general, Germanic more than anything else (the fairies/fae are pandemic to Europe). The only real exceptions were Hilde and Heinrich along with the Dryad (Gentaurs and dryads/nymphs are originally Greek) and Brauggi (a fusion of Baugi and Bragi from Norse myth).

Norse myth is in some ways even more rich than the Greco-Roman mythology. There are also a lot of similarities.

linaabi
Peasant Status

#64 Post by linaabi » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:22 pm

vampires originated with cain in the area that is now the middle east

etherlad
Royal Servant Status

#65 Post by etherlad » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:56 pm

linaabi wrote:vampires originated with cain in the area that is now the middle east
Um... no.

According to Vampire: The Masquerade, yes.

In the real world, almost every culture has some sort of vampire myth.

Velocity
Royal Servant Status

#66 Post by Velocity » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:51 pm

etherlad wrote:
linaabi wrote:vampires originated with cain in the area that is now the middle east
Um... no.

According to Vampire: The Masquerade, yes.

In the real world, almost every culture has some sort of vampire myth.
So I WAS right. I actually would like to know what the various kinds of 'vampires' there are in less european cultures.

etherlad
Royal Servant Status

#67 Post by etherlad » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:23 pm

Velocity wrote: So I WAS right. I actually would like to know what the various kinds of 'vampires' there are in less european cultures.
A trip to your local library will help you out there. :D

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Vampiric

#68 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:29 pm

Velocity wrote:I actually would like to know what the various kinds of 'vampires' there are in less european cultures.
Are you only thinking of specifically vampiric creatures (bloodsuckers) or perhaps also ones that are more spiritual drains than physical drains (like succubi/incubi)?

Velocity
Royal Servant Status

Re: Vampiric

#69 Post by Velocity » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:18 pm

Brainiac wrote:Are you only thinking of specifically vampiric creatures (bloodsuckers) or perhaps also ones that are more spiritual drains than physical drains (like succubi/incubi)?
Either one. They're both leeching off of human existance in a supernatural manner (blood empowers the bloodsucker to be able to do supernatural things), which is how I define Vampire.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#70 Post by Spikey » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:06 am

That sounds incorrect somehow. Succubi and Incubi are very different from vampires, the only thing they have in common is that drink human blood.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Difference

#71 Post by Brainiac » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:00 pm

Spikey wrote:That sounds incorrect somehow. Succubi and Incubi are very different from vampires, the only thing they have in common is that drink human blood.
You're right; they are different demons. Succubi/Incubi are more spiritual in form than Vampires and they typically drain the life from people through their dreams (typically sexual in nature). The blood-drinking element is actually a corruption, I believe, from the more commonly known Vampiric mythology.

Velocity, I'll look into this but condensing everything from Lilith to Incubi will take a long time; you might want to due as etherlad said and check out a library in the meantime.

Avishai
Peasant Status

Re: MYTH!

#72 Post by Avishai » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:57 pm

Brainiac wrote:
Wolfgang Abenteuer wrote:So, like, spill it already! Tell us about the Shaitan, Marid, Efreet, Djinn, etc. Anything interesting you can think of would be great. :)

~Wolfgang
They are often referred to in the Qur'an and while some are Muslim (converted by Solomon)
This angers me each and every time.
Why would Solomon, king of Israel, convert anyone to a religion that not only does he not belong to, but did not exist when he was alive?
Actually, Solomon wasn't even that religiously-oriented, anyway.
He was considered to be quite a sinner.

As to genies...
Well, I don't know how much D&D can be trusted as a source of information, but according to D&D, there are five forms of genies, which are all some sort of elemental spirits:
Djinn- air
Ifreet- fire
Dao- earth
Marid- water
And Jann- a combination of all the elements

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#73 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:14 pm

I know it's a fine line, but let's keep this thread about mythology and not religious conflicts, thanks.

Avishai
Peasant Status

#74 Post by Avishai » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:22 pm

Very well. Sorry.
(Grumble, they should have added an option to say "Shlomo" to the door in the Forbidden City)

Snarky
Royal Servant Status

#75 Post by Snarky » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:51 pm

The legend of Solomon imprisoning and converting demons is not restricted to Islam. For instance, it's found in the apocryphal Testament of Solomon.

As to what religion he converted them to, Islam sees all of the Jewish prophets, as well as Jesus, as messengers from God. So in that sense, they were all muslims, even if God hadn't provided the final revelation yet. This is similar to honoring say William Penn as a great American, even though he was born in England and the US didn't exist in his lifetime.

Jewish, Christian and Islamic mythology and apocrypha are all mixed together.