Mythology and Quest for Glory

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#26 Post by Gronagor » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:09 pm

Yeah... it changes a lot over time. If I think how close Afrikaans was to Deutch 100 years ago. Now two people with these languages will have a tough time communicating.

OmerMor
Peasant Status

#27 Post by OmerMor » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:40 pm

The QfG series was supposed to be a 4-part series, with the following themes/cyles in it:
The Four Winds, The Elementals, Mythologies, and Seasons.

What the creators originaly had in mind was this:
QfG 1: So You Want to be a Hero - West - Earth - German - Spring
QfG2: Trial by Fire - South - Fire - Arabian - Summer
QfG3: Shadows of Darkness - East - Wind - Slavic - Fall
QfG4: Dragon Fire - North - Water - Greek - Winter

However, when they got to write "Shadows of Darkness" they thought it would be too difficult for the hero at that stage. So they decided to add another game, "Wages of War" which was not in their canon, and renumbered the series. You can find an evidence for this in the end of QfG 2 where it says the next game would be "Shadows of Darkness" and the moon has vampyric fangs to it - hinting at the next game's theme.

They talked about it in a Sierra magazine I once read, and also reffered to it in the following chat I found on the web:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ar ... neChat.htm

Blackwine: My question is about the world of Gloriana in general. I knew each game was suppose to correspond to a place on a compass (like North, South, East, West) and a season. For example, Spielburg was North, and the season was Spring. Shapier-South, Summer. Where was Tarna located? Mordavia was Fall, and Silmaria will be winter, but where are they located?
Lori C: Tarna broke the rules. It was in Fricana, which is Africa. We added Wages of War to the series because the game called for it. So we broke our own metaphor.
JayU: You make the rules,,,,,you can break the rules
BTW - there is another theme going on in the series - the 4 character types (Fighter, Wizard, Thief & Paladin) but I don't think each game is connected to a specific character. What do you think?

Omer Mor.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#28 Post by Spikey » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:52 pm

They don't talk about elemental themes in that chat.

OmerMor
Peasant Status

#29 Post by OmerMor » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:16 pm

No, but in the magazine interview they did.
You can see how spielburg is very "earthly", with all the spring & fruits,
Trial by Fire is obviously fire-oriented, with all that hot desert sun,
Shadows of Darkness has a very "windy" feel to it,
And Silmaria is surrounded by water.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#30 Post by Spikey » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:18 pm

Dude. I argued that Qfg1 was more Earth earlier in the thread, cause somebody said that it's element was air.

Radiant
Knight Status

#31 Post by Radiant » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:25 pm

"Hebban olla vogela nestas hagunnan hinase hic enda thu"

"Hebben alle vogels nesten begonnen behalve ik en u"

(have all birds nests begun except I and thee) <= rough translation here

Except for the word 'hinase' it's pretty similar actually. Oh, and the fact that 'to begin a nest' is no longer a common phrase in Dutch but it's still understandable. Imho of course.
Anyway this is the oldest Dutch phrase known to man, and if you go to a slightly more modern area and try to read 'Karel ende Elegast' or 'Elckerlijc' or 'Mariken van Nieumeghen' then it's very workable. Just like Shakespearean English, actually.

AndrewRocks
Peasant Status

Re: Mythology and Quest for Glory

#32 Post by AndrewRocks » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:34 am

Cumboy wrote:Quest for Glory IV = Slavic mythology. Not a 'horror' basing as many people believe. These concepts originate from the myths/legends within Eastern Europe.
Actually, Avoozl and his cult are pretty much one big tribute to early 1900s horror writer H.P. Lovecraft and his mythos, the most famous member being Cthulhu. As a side note, Lovecraft is one of my favourite authors.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#33 Post by Spikey » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:43 pm

I think the English spelling doesn't change as much as Dutch:

Shakespeare's Sonnet 116:
-----------
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no, it is an ever-fixèd mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come.
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out ev'n to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved
------------

The only thing that changed a lot is the sound, cause "loved" sounded like "proved" for example.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#34 Post by Vildern » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:26 pm

Naw, they're not rip-offs. QFG did a better job at truly integrating existent fictional characters into the game world than KQ did.
True, true :lol
But still I liked KQ better :p

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#35 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:25 am

Vildern wrote:
Naw, they're not rip-offs. QFG did a better job at truly integrating existent fictional characters into the game world than KQ did.
True, true :lol
But still I liked KQ better :p
If you want realism, then play Gabriel Knight or Police Quest. Wait, not even though are...

:p

Elijahu
Peasant Status

#36 Post by Elijahu » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:40 am

I am from Russia.

In Russian mythology and tales Baba Yaga HAS a chicken legged hut.

About vampires: there are vampires in Russian mythology. They are called "Upir" and "Vurdalak". But the word "Vurdalak" is more similliar to "Ghoul"

Velocity
Royal Servant Status

#37 Post by Velocity » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:29 am

I think that there is a night-stalking blood sucker in many cultures,

Hebrew/Christian - Lillith
Greek/Roman - Lamia
Slavic - Vampire
etc.

(I don't know many of them, but this is my personal opinion)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#38 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:38 am

Velocity wrote:I think that there is a night-stalking blood sucker in many cultures,

Hebrew/Christian - Lillith
Greek/Roman - Lamia
Slavic - Vampire
etc.
America - Woman :lol

[EDIT: Added the smiley, which I meant to have in from the start. Wolfgang, I was just being humourous.]
Last edited by Blackthorne519 on Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#39 Post by Swift » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:45 am

Har har har. |I

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#40 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:02 am

Yeah, um, Blackthorne? It's fine that you have this thing against women and all (well, it's your choice anyway), but try not to let it leak onto these forums. It's one thing to throw out an occasional joke, but let's not harp on the subject to the point that other people start getting offended.

~Wolfgang

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#41 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:24 am

Wolfgang Abenteuer wrote:Yeah, um, Blackthorne? It's fine that you have this thing against women and all (well, it's your choice anyway), but try not to let it leak onto these forums. It's one thing to throw out an occasional joke, but let's not harp on the subject to the point that other people start getting offended.

~Wolfgang
Wolfgang, I don't think you get it. He's doing this to make Swift hate him. He's hopeful that hate will turn to love as she tries to make him into a decent boyfriend. Doncha get it? :eek

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#42 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:29 am

Wolfgang, I don't think you get it. He's doing this to make Swift hate him. He's hopeful that hate will turn to love as she tries to make him into a decent boyfriend. Doncha get it?
Apparently not...

*Grabs the wheel and attempts to steer this topic back on track*

~Wolfgang

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#43 Post by Boogeyman » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:24 am

I just wanted to mention that there is a Baba Yaga card in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban!

Name: Babayaga
Description: "Medieval, dates unknown. Russian hag who dwelled in a hut
that stood on giant chicken legs. Ate children for
breakfast - and presumably for lunch and tea."

Jafar
Super Star

#44 Post by Jafar » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:27 am

I thought Baba Yaga came from Surria, a country on the continent: "Anagrama:. ;)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

MYTH!

#45 Post by Brainiac » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:08 am

Geez, why did you guys have to wait to start talking about this until I was away? :( Well, guess I'll just have to start getting into it now.

I noticed no one has made any real commentary on the myths behind Trial by Fire. I just came out of a Persian mythology class, so if you have any questions (like just what is a Shaitan), I can answer.

Wolfgang Abenteuer

Re: MYTH!

#46 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:28 am

Brainiac wrote:I noticed no one has made any real commentary on the myths behind Trial by Fire. I just came out of a Persian mythology class, so if you have any questions (like just what is a Shaitan), I can answer.
Awesome! I've always been interested in Persian myths, although I really don't know much about them.

So, like, spill it already! Tell us about the Shaitan, Marid, Efreet, Djinn, etc. Anything interesting you can think of would be great. :)

~Wolfgang

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#47 Post by Erpy » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:34 am

I do know that Suleiman is arabic for Solomon and that Iblis is sort of the equivalent for satan. Other than that, though...

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#48 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:28 am

You know, not like this is top-secret, but I haven't really talked about this in the public yet, but I am thinking of ideas for Quest For Infamy 2, and I have enlisted the help of one of our local mythology residents....(think Metriod) and for QFI2, we want to create a brand new land, with new characters, so I decided Norse mythlogy and a Nordic, Viking-style setting would be cool. There is a lot of great mythlogy we can weave, so I hope to pay homage to the QFG series by doing something BRAND new, inspired by it. But that's a LONG way off. I'm just planning now. But I'm excited, as I think the mythology will be fun to weave into a story.

Bt

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#49 Post by Spikey » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:31 am

Please include Lorelei. I like her.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: MYTH!

#50 Post by Brainiac » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:42 am

Wolfgang Abenteuer wrote:So, like, spill it already! Tell us about the Shaitan, Marid, Efreet, Djinn, etc. Anything interesting you can think of would be great. :)

~Wolfgang
Okay, here's a small taste:

Humans are formed of the earth and angels of the air. The Jinn, on the other hand, are formed of fire. They are often referred to in the Qur'an and while some are Muslim (converted by Solomon) and helpful, others refused the Islamic faith and prey on humans. All are poweful and all can be quite nasty when provoked. Whistling at night is said to attract them. Some myth says that there is a jinn who is hamzad; born together with each human, a sort of spiritual twin. Locations of particular vulnerability to jinn include rooms and times of momentous import (weddings/births), as well as ruins or cemetaries at night, wells, public baths at night, and under trees at night (guess Julanar's skareen shouldn't be that safe after all ;) ). Basically, night in general is dangerous.

Shaytan (Arabic term related to Semitic "Satan") are the demons of Islam, followers of Iblis (Islam's equivalent to Lucifer/Satan). Their powers include shape-shifitng and posession. They are repelled by the pure qualities of water.

Afrit are very large and nasty jinn, similar to the div of Zoroastrian mythology (the Persian faith prior to the Islamic Revolution). The Div were the followers of Ahriman/Angra Mainyu, the spiritual ancestor to Iblis. The turn up quite often in the Shanaheh (national epic of Iran) and other Persian epics and folktales.

Solomon was well-known for converting or containing many jinn; the typical method of containment was in bottles, sealed with his own seal ring, and cast into the ocean. Jinn can actually be controlled thorugh other means, such as iron charms, seals with one of the Names of God, rituals, summonings, exorcisms, and naturally anti-jinn days (like the fasting month of Ramazan).

One other interesting element of note, found under "Other Assorted Monsters":

Ghouls - live in the desert and prey on travelers or eat bones in abandoned cemetaries and ruins.

Sound familiar? Nothing about their claws being useful, though. :D