Hi guys

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Saallen1_1
Peasant Status

Hi guys

#1 Post by Saallen1_1 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:15 pm

Hi guys, I used to post at Saallen1 a few years back but the account is inactive now so I created this new one :-).

I just wanted to let u guys know that im loving the artwork for QFG2, everything looks so much better than it used to. I cant wait to see what special things you added. Especially since there was talk of giving the hero something to do in raseir and thats always nice.

I would like to point out a possible problem, even though its not something that I think AGDI will take care of, maybe another developer with expertice in this area might be interested. I like im sure most of you go through QFGathon moments where I rush through all 5 games making the UBERHERO. Well all is good until QFG5 wich apparently doesnt play nice with WinXP. So far I can only get the original version (no updates) of QFG5 to work in compatibility mode. If I update, I can get into the game but it crashes when I try to load/import/create a character. Now I tried the winxp fix thats floating around online and that doesnt work. I think it would be really good, if someone could get QFG5 v 1.2 working for WinXp. Or if everyone is busy, but someone knows why this happens/how to fix it, I could give it a shot.

Thanks again guys for all the work on QFG2

Oh and I thought of a kool Idea (again) for you guys since I know you are thinking maybe you will start making new games. Since there was a Kings Quest in space (Space Quest :-)). Maybe there should be a Quest For Glory in Space ;-) (lets see here....classes...Space Cowboy, Technowiz, L33t Hacker) :-) sounds kinda korny but thats a given in adventure games. Lemme know if you like this one better than my last one ;-).

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by GuJiaXian » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:28 pm

Odd. I install QFG5, install the 1.2 patch, and run. No problems. I'm even running XP SP2 (which usually further breaks things). I never had to use the "special" XP patch. Dunno what your problem is.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: Hi guys

#3 Post by Gronagor » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:04 am

Saallen1_1 wrote:Oh and I thought of a kool Idea (again) for you guys since I know you are thinking maybe you will start making new games. Since there was a Kings Quest in space (Space Quest :-)). Maybe there should be a Quest For Glory in Space ;-) (lets see here....classes...Space Cowboy, Technowiz, L33t Hacker) :-) sounds kinda korny but thats a given in adventure games. Lemme know if you like this one better than my last one ;-).
That IS a good idea! :D

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by dreammaster » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:03 am

When I read this, I immediately thought.. why not a Technomage class. Anyone else remember them from Babylon 5? I always thought the concept for them was awesome. :D

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#5 Post by Gronagor » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:33 am

Heh. Might work. :) Only problem is, they never explained how they do what they do. :) If I remember correctly, they are simply a super-technological-advanced race (previously from Earth).

Heck... then you can go with 'Soldier', 'Ranger', 'Techomage' and a 'Slightly-misunderstood-pick-pocket'

Paradox
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Paradox » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:27 pm

GuJiaXian wrote:Odd. I install QFG5, install the 1.2 patch, and run. No problems. I'm even running XP SP2 (which usually further breaks things). I never had to use the "special" XP patch. Dunno what your problem is.
Thats odd... I have the same problems as Saallen. Maybe it's SP2? However it does work when I apply the 1.2 patch and then the Win2K patch found here, as long as I don't use compatibility mode. It does minimize when I first hit a button it the main menu... but other then that it runs perfectly.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

TechnoMage

#7 Post by Brainiac » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:38 pm

In response to Gron's post, the Technomages of Babylon 5 are not a race but rather an organization; Technomages existed long before humans ventured into the galaxy. They achieve the apparent effects of magic via technology. The whole principle is based off of the classic idea of "Any technology indistinguishable from magic in insufficiently advanced."

In my opinion, the idea of a Technomage replacing a Wizard class is actually rather intriguing for a sci-fi style QFG.

Saallen1_1
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Saallen1_1 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:24 pm

Well I decided to try applying the patch again. After JUST installing the patch, the game would crash before it would finish loading. So I applied the win2k patch and now this lets me get into the main game screen and even allows me to restore games. The problem is that If I enter the character creation screen and click on ANY of the buttons the game exits. There has got to be at least 1 other person on this planet that sees this? Maybe this is a hardware issue? Im running an AMD Athlon 1.2 GHZ with Nvidia Geforce 4. I have WinXp SP2, and the latest DirectX and QuickTIme. Anyone else whos seen this behavior please let me know.

:-) Im glad you guys like QFG in space. I like the classes you listed Gronagor, they are better than the ones I listed. I pretty much went about it by saying "whos a good fighter-type....Cowboy Bebop or Hans Solo....Whos a Good Mage Type.....ummm TechnoWizzards, I know I heard of those somewhere.....Whose a good thief type....Harper From Andromeda. Your classes are much better than mine, ;-). The question now is what would be the overall "Theme"? QFG had an Element theme running in its series, should a space adventure-rpg have perhaps a Planetary theme? First Game Mars...second Game Venus etc. etc. Or maybe a Regional theme? First Game Alpha quadrant, Second theme Beta QUadrant etc etc?

Saallen1_1
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Saallen1_1 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:30 pm

See, the real issue with the whole not being able to play v1.2 or v1.1 of qfg5 is I cant Import QFG4 chars in the original version. IF I could I would just import all my guys, apply the patch and play. And I guess I could just take QFG3 chars in, but then Ive lost the whole "marathon" feel. Was there ever a QFG4 Char converter that made the .sav files readable with v1.0?

Paradox
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Paradox » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:38 am

Saallen1_1 wrote:The problem is that If I enter the character creation screen and click on ANY of the buttons the game exits.
Are you sure it is not just minimizing? That may sound like a stupid question but thats what it does for my when I first hit any button. At first I thought it was crashing but then I realised it was just minimzing. Perhaps it's that I'm not running SP2... Sorry for not beging able to be more helpful.

Jafar
Super Star

#11 Post by Jafar » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:40 am

There has got to be at least 1 other person on this planet that sees this?
That person would be me. I've tried everything to get it to work, and in the end... :(

Saallen1_1
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Saallen1_1 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:43 am

Yeah Im sure im not minimizing because I cant Alt-Tab back into the game :-(