Quest For Glory 2 Remake -= Combat =-

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#26 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:50 pm

No, it's not going to be a literal QFG1VGA or QFG2-clone. The thing is that I don't think it would be viable to create an autopilot that would cover every possible approach the player would have in mind. (including "stat-upping")

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#27 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:16 pm

SPEAKING of combat systems um did u guys add any new spells for use in combat? :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#28 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:18 pm

No. There's very little point in adding extra spells to the game if they're not going to be transferable to QFG3.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#29 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:30 pm

yeah your right dumb question sorry :eek

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#30 Post by Peter Swinkels » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:47 pm

I liked the whole Street Fighter-esque combat of QFG4. Had the best graphics, offered the best action and the best damn music in any of the series' battle systems. Also, the thief could perform acrobatics during combat. That was just cool.
I agree, the graphics and music were probably the best of the series.

As Swift mentioned it is also nice that you could let the computer do the fighting for you. I never really bothered to figure out any of the combat systems (I just made the hero character strong enough and I could just bumble my way through combat :lol ) . The combat systems never seemed to respond all that well to my input. In Hero Quest I (original) the character was always slow to respond to key strokes. It was also hard to tell which key did what...

The interesting thing is that I am pretty good with the combat systems in Prince of Persia 1 and 2 (or at least I like to think I am good :) ) Perhaps Quest for Glory 2 VGA should have the option to select a Prince of Persia style combat system???

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#31 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:11 pm

An auto-defend may be an option if we decide battle is still too tough on easy.

PoP-like combat (side-view) isn't going to be implemented though, that's for certain.

El Ravager
Knight Status

#32 Post by El Ravager » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:08 pm

It sounds like a brilliant combat system to me. Can't wait for its release... ;) :)

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#33 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:28 pm

How much longer

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#34 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:45 am

Well, it'll be out when it's out, Hero. Don't you know that by now?

Geez.

:lol

Bt

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#35 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:38 pm

well quest for glory 2 is where i shine i become a prience so i need to know when i get my crown :lol :rollin

Shade
Peasant Status

#36 Post by Shade » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:38 pm

I always felt like QFG2 had the best combat system because:
A) It seemed like the player had the most control
B) I noticed the hero's proficiency increase throughout the gae more than any of the others
C) I felt like the enemies were more challenging or at least had more strategy in this game. Not that they didn't telegraph everything of course.

But maybe I just felt that way because QFG2 was the game that I did the most training in. The QFG3 system felt a little claustrophobic to me, and while I loved the street fighter style of QFG4 I tended to just hold the button down on the lightning ball key to send giant orbs across the screen. I also thought some enemies like the Chernovy should have been a bit harder.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#37 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:15 pm

I always felt like QFG2 had the best combat system because:
A) It seemed like the player had the most control
B) I noticed the hero's proficiency increase throughout the gae more than any of the others
C) I felt like the enemies were more challenging or at least had more strategy in this game. Not that they didn't telegraph everything of course.
The player certainly had lots of options. I just tended to wonder if 50% of them weren't unnecessary. I never really noticed the advantages of one dodge/parry/attack over the others that well. I personally thought the enemies in QFG1 were more challenging. I disagree on the strategy-comment...jamming the attack buttons was way too effective.
But maybe I just felt that way because QFG2 was the game that I did the most training in. The QFG3 system felt a little claustrophobic to me, and while I loved the street fighter style of QFG4 I tended to just hold the button down on the lightning ball key to send giant orbs across the screen. I also thought some enemies like the Chernovy should have been a bit harder.
I personally thought the Chernovy were among the hardest enemies to beat. (I played a lot on a computer where the projectiles zoomed across the screen) When wraiths fired, you could tell by their casting motions whether their spells would hit high or low. Chernovy, on the other hand, fired instant bolts and in addition they could move and slap you from up close.

What I personally loved about the QFG4 system was the immense variety. Each monster had its own more or less unique fighting style and required a slightly different approach. I liked that. In QFG2 and QFG3, I had the idea I wouldn't notice too much of a difference if the sprites of different enemies were swapped. They basically all had the same behavior.

Gav
Knight Status

#38 Post by Gav » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:34 pm

I was thinking lately that the best game to base a qfg combat system on would be the old NES game Punchout (or the SNES Super Punchout). It's a really fun boxing game with a fighting style that would transfer really well to a qfg style game.

Unlike other boxing games, it's completely arcade and you basically stand on the one spot to fight, and if you dodge to the side you bounce back. You could also block hits (but you had to dodge super hits). The safest way to play was to dodge opponent hits (which were telegraphed to a certain degree depending on the opponent), and then to counter attack. But when you got to know the opponents, you could time your attacks more aggressively.

I really think that this combat system, mimicked and slightly altered, would be perfect for a qfg type game combat system. I wonder if anyone agrees.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#39 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:54 am

Gav wrote:I was thinking lately that the best game to base a qfg combat system on would be the old NES game Punchout (or the SNES Super Punchout).
Hah! I remember that game. I've seen versions named "Mike Tyson's Punchout" where Mike was the last boxer you had to fight, as well as regular "Punchout", where there was a different final boxer. I always assumed the latter was a rerelease after Mike Tyson got into trouble.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#40 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:47 am

I'd like to see battles closeup like in QFG1 remake.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#41 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:45 am

Sorry, as for the closeup combat scenes, as you've seen in the screenshots, that's not going to happen. We decided to go for animation quantity instead of animation size. I personally think the decision was a wise one in retro-spect.

Gav, interesting thoughts, but all battles are basically completed. (with the exception of a few features here and there)