A few (stupid??) questions ;-)

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

catwoman55
Peasant Status

A few (stupid??) questions ;-)

#1 Post by catwoman55 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:04 am

I have a few questions about the game itself and the making of KQ2VGA, all mixed up, so I am placing them here. Sorry if they are silly or have already been answered elsewhere.

1. What is the sense of all those KQ2VGA.001, .002 etc. files building up in the directory (there are as many as 23 in mine!!) ? I assume it is something like the RESOURCE.WIN backup files or such in the Sierra games, but there is no .WIN file in the KQ2VGA directory.

2. What does RTS mean? I saw it on the Queststudio page and also in the walkthrough, sections character list and objects, where it says: Original version: no; RTS: yes.

3. Why did you develop the games as anonymous game developers? Maybe you are not searching for fame, or what else could be the reason?

Thanks in advance for replying,

Cat
:smokin

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:45 am

I have a few questions about the game itself and the making of KQ2VGA, all mixed up, so I am placing them here. Sorry if they are silly or have already been answered elsewhere.

1. What is the sense of all those KQ2VGA.001, .002 etc. files building up in the directory (there are as many as 23 in mine!!) ? I assume it is something like the RESOURCE.WIN backup files or such in the Sierra games, but there is no .WIN file in the KQ2VGA directory.
Those files contain the room data of the game. AGS can be set to split room data into separate files each x MB. Since all sprites are stored in the main exe-file, it's big enough already. There's no reason for the user to worry about these.
2. What does RTS mean? I saw it on the Queststudio page and also in the walkthrough, sections character list and objects, where it says: Original version: no; RTS: yes.
RTS means "Romancing the Stones". It's KQ2VGA's slightly altered subtitle.
3. Why did you develop the games as anonymous game developers? Maybe you are not searching for fame, or what else could be the reason?
A couple of reasons. First of all, mystery appeals to people. Second of all, it was a safety net of some sort at first, keeping possible legal problems in mind. While we have no reason to believe VU will slap us with a lawsuit, the AGD-names kinda stuck. In fact, since the team's name is now named after the founders and owners, it only makes sense to keep them around.

catwoman55
Peasant Status

#3 Post by catwoman55 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:21 am

Those files contain the room data of the game. AGS can be set to split room data into separate files each x MB. Since all sprites are stored in the main exe-file, it's big enough already. There's no reason for the user to worry about these.
Thanks!

RTS means "Romancing the Stones". It's KQ2VGA's slightly altered subtitle.
Duh! Of course. I should have known!! :\

A couple of reasons. First of all, mystery appeals to people. Second of all, it was a safety net of some sort at first, keeping possible legal problems in mind. While we have no reason to believe VU will slap us with a lawsuit, the AGD-names kinda stuck. In fact, since the team's name is now named after the founders and owners, it only makes sense to keep them around.

Good reasons!

Thanks. Now I can sleep tight again!

:)
Cat