Leisure Suit Larry 2

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

NeoDraven
Peasant Status

Leisure Suit Larry 2

#1 Post by NeoDraven » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:20 am

This should be the next game project. Comments?

The Talking Skull
Peasant Status

#2 Post by The Talking Skull » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:10 am

There already a LSL2 point & Click remake. :)

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by arganite » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:07 am

Quest for Glory 2 is the last remake to be done... to our knowledge.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#4 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:21 pm

Quest for Glory 2 is the last remake to be done... to our knowledge.
So, will AGDI no longer manufacture games or what?  :|

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#5 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:55 pm

arganite is not a spokesperson for AGDI. We have not ruled anything out.

Broomie
The Enigma

#6 Post by Broomie » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:41 am

Absolutely true, Navynuke (my main man) knows the score with AGDI and they haven't given up yet. Sure they're our competition but I respect them with my deepest heart and they'll continue with the adventure genre as will us.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:06 am

Broomie wrote:as will us.
As will we Broomie friendly correction

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#8 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:53 am

Broomie wrote:Sure they're our competition...
Competition is really only something you see when money is involved. Seeing as we are a fan group who makes no profit, we really don't have any competition. All fan groups are on the same team in that they are attempting to bring back the adventure genre.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#9 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:00 am

That really depends on the motives of the individuals involved. Sierra and Lucasarts, despite being commercial companies, still had a (perceived) friendly rivalry in the 90's which they demonstrated by including Monkey Island references in QFG1VGA and vice versa. The employees of both companies played each other's games and enjoyed them. On the other hand, amateur competitive sports can still be fierce despite the fact that the primary motive is loyalty/teamwork and not usually money.

All teams have one primary motive at heart and I believe this is always evident. Competition, by definition, implies winning or stealing a title from the other candidates; but there's not much benefit to this sort of approach in the fan game community. Underhanded tactics shouldn't come into play. That would be like the equivalent to taking drugs to aid your performance in winning an Olympic sprinting event. Sure, you might gain an easy Gold medal, but the ends don't justify the means and you haven't really 'won' anything at all. It's merely a cop out.  

Navynuke's right about the gist though; there's nothing at stake in the fan community that would warrant such savage rivalry unless you consider prestige and hierarchy to be your trophies. Personally, I think the gross misconception that there's a "superior group" whom earn the most respect for being the top link in the chain, only exists in the minds of certain people in development circles who would, surprise surprise, consider themselves rivals. This is pretty obvious because these thought patterns are never presented by fans themselves -- only by other developers. Such people reason that if they can justify their competition as being narcissistic then it seems all the more justifiable to knock them from their perch.  

But this has the following side effects: A) The risk of it being outright false B) Snowballing to ridiculous proportions where said person begins believing their own generated hype, making both developers and fans lose sight of the bigger picture and the ultimate purpose here, which is supposed to be about bringing attention to adventure games. What any of this has to do with point and click adventure games is a complete mystery to me. We like adventure games, so we remake them for others to play. What more is there to it than that?

ANY team could share (i.e. not steal) the same privileges and community respect if they're willing to work hard for something. It's about being proud of the cause you're supporting; not trying to usurp others who are supporting the same cause alongside you.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:47 am

Well said. I agree completely.

Broomie
The Enigma

#11 Post by Broomie » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:25 pm

Good words, AGD2.
AsianMusicGuy wrote:
Broomie wrote:as will us.
As will we Broomie friendly correction
Don't correct drunk posts. It's the only time you can get away with having bad spelling and grammar, you should know that. ;)

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#12 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:20 am

Dude am never drunk.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#13 Post by Music Head » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:50 am

AsianMusicGuy wrote:Dude am never drunk.
Dude I am never drunk, friendly correction  ;)

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Jenkins Loo » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:12 pm

Perhaps interesting thoughts of AGDI could be used for a story of another remake/fangame :hat

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:41 am

Believing your own hype is an easy street to go down - anyway which you you go, you don't often know you are on it.

People can expound their theories on their intentions and dissertate about competiton but in the end silly words exchanged do not matter.  Only the games produced.  

Humans are a competitive species by nature; any attempt to dissuade people of this is in direct opposition to natural discourse.  We often use flattering language to describe ourselves and our actions.  There's a whole career in that; it's called PR or public relations.  It's hype - hype can breed either one of two reactions, admiration or contempt.  It's amazing, however, how thin the line is between two such actions.  

That said, sometimes silly words are fun to type.  However, in the future when people have moved on from better things, they remember the games.  Do we really remember the exact bad things Ken Williams said about Lucasfilm Games back in the day?  No.  We remember King's Quest and Monkey Island.  So, to that end, the games are a legacy.

Happy New Year everyone!

Bt

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#16 Post by Spikey » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:31 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote: Humans are a competitive species by nature; any attempt to dissuade people of this is in direct opposition to natural discourse.  We often use flattering language to describe ourselves and our actions.  There's a whole career in that; it's called PR or public relations.  It's hype - hype can breed either one of two reactions, admiration or contempt.  It's amazing, however, how thin the line is between two such actions.  
Humans are not competitive species by nature, it's something that's institutionalised by emphasis on indviduality in most western cultures.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:25 pm

Spikey wrote: Humans are not competitive species by nature, it's something that's institutionalised by emphasis on indviduality in most western cultures.
You can not tell me that early man was not competitive with each other, especially when it came to food and "mates".  It's not just society that creates such an attitude.

Bt

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#18 Post by Spikey » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:10 pm

No, scarcity of goods did, probably. Still an environmental element, not human nature. Probably it's a combination of society, environment & personality I guess, but I wouldn't call that combination human nature.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#19 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:40 am

Spikey wrote:No, scarcity of goods did, probably. Still an environmental element, not human nature. Probably it's a combination of society, environment & personality I guess, but I wouldn't call that combination human nature.
I would say human nature is defined by it's environment; namely Earth!

Bt

Betelgeuse
Peasant Status

#20 Post by Betelgeuse » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:19 pm

The Talking Skull wrote:There already a LSL2 point & Click remake. :)
there is? where?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:36 am

Betelgeuse wrote:
The Talking Skull wrote:There already a LSL2 point & Click remake. :)
there is? where?
Take a look under the games section at www.bigbluecup.com

Bt