Would it be okay if i do this?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#26 Post by Erpy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:11 am

Put it this way, Rog...does one have to be a non-smoker in order to tell people it's better not to start. Especially if there's a safer alternative. :)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#27 Post by Alias » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:14 pm

So we should not start projects because its against the law? You really need a better example. :p

Radiant
Knight Status

#28 Post by Radiant » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:33 pm

Rog, anyone can start whatever project they want, I mean it's not like we can stop you doing, say, an enhanced version of Larry 4 on your computer. However, the question was, would it be "okay" to do so.

The answer from a legal point of view, is a definite and resonating NO, since doing so would be copyright infringement.
The answer from a practical point of view, is a cautious NO, since it is possible that your project will be shut down by a Cease and Desist order, which means you may be doing all your work for naught.
The answer from an ethical point of view, is once more a cautious NO, since you are using characters and situations created by someone else, and that person (or his fans) may not appreciate that, unless you are (1) doing a very strict remake, or (2) really really good.
The answer from a design point of view, finally, is another cautious NO, as these games tend to be a LOT more work than your average adventure game, and unless you're a pro you'd be better off starting something less ambitious.

So, can you do it? Sure. SHOULD you do it? Probably not. Would it be "OK"? Definitely not.
And if you decide to do it anyway, do not deceive yourself into thinking that you cannot be C&D'ed. Because you can, at any time. Do not jump to conclusions. Study copyright law if you don't believe me.

Bear in mind that groups like AGDI and IA are the exception rather than the rule. By far the most fan-created adventure games have nothing at all to do with existing Sierra (or Lucas) games, other than being in the same genre. For instance, check the site for Hero/6 - it is inspired by QfG, but it has its own plot, its own characters and its own setting. This is, well, safer for the devteam.

Also bear in mind that, while it does sound cool to add something to an already succesful series, it doesn't actually make your game succesful by default. If you create a good game that has nothing to do with an existing series, people will play it and love it (e.g. Pleugburgh, Larry Vales, 5DaS). If you create a bad game that is part of an existing series, people will reject it and dislike it (e.g. QfG4.5) because they expect something more.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#29 Post by Uhanimar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:23 pm

This is now an irrelevent conversation because i don't want to go through any trouble. So even though i still want to do it in kolyma, i guess if i can't do it in kolyma i will make me own world.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#30 Post by Alias » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:45 pm

But you would still be using the KQ world.

I think this conversation is pointless. Even though its against the law, that wont stop anyone. Once Vu knocks on my door and removes my harddrive then I wont. :lol

Radiant
Knight Status

#31 Post by Radiant » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:05 pm

Good luck on the world design, it is always fun to write a new world. I hope you get it done.
You can still do a castle inhabited by vampires, of course. That's generic enough. Plus castles are fun!

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#32 Post by Klytos » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:45 am

I find it scary that I am actually argueing the same point as other people here. Weird. :lol

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#33 Post by Uhanimar » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:29 am

Yeah i am going to do a castel with vamps....i HAVE to have vamps in me game man! :D :D :D :D

Radiant
Knight Status

#34 Post by Radiant » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:29 am

Behold the l33t power of Erpy, Klitos and Radiant! :)

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#35 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:15 am

it wont have the kings qust name just some elements of agdi's remake and we are makeing it in 3d so basically we are not doing anything wrong. unless Agdi does not want us useing t

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#36 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:23 am

The Hero wrote:it wont have the kings qust name just some elements of agdi's remake and we are makeing it in 3d so basically we are not doing anything wrong. unless Agdi does not want us useing t
Uh, yeah. Don't use their stuff. Just make up your own. If you can't, I will here.

Your lands name is Lograwania. It is ruled by Duke Grigori Kaspilich. It has a river, a gorge, a small town and an abandonded castle.

There.

Woot.

Bt

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#37 Post by Uhanimar » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:06 am

I"m not going to use a thing from kings quest so don't worry....

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#38 Post by Gronagor » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:51 am

I don't know, Rog. It almost feel like you're trying to start trouble. Perhaps you're trying to get banned (which won't happen because of post like these... post like these are simply irritations), in an attempt to impress the guys at IA??

The logic you're displaying here is that of a 7 year old. I'm not trying to insult you, but you're obviously not even reading the posts above...

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#39 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:02 am

Gronagor wrote:I don't know, Rog. It almost feel like you're trying to start trouble. Perhaps you're trying to get banned (which won't happen because of post like these... post like these are simply irritations), in an attempt to impress the guys at IA??
Well, I hope not, because I'm the one to impress at IA, and well - I'm not impressed by smart-assery or ignorance. Nor banning, really. Hell, if you want to impress IA, send me a well written email why you want to impress IA. If it's good, I'll declare you legally impressive.

Bt

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#40 Post by Gronagor » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:23 am

I'll mail one myself. ;)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#41 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:18 pm

If you want to impress IA, send me a well written email why you want to impress IA. If it's good, I'll declare you legally impressive.
Ooooo, can all of us do that? :D

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#42 Post by Uhanimar » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:12 pm

The Hero wrote:it wont have the kings qust name just some elements of agdi's remake and we are makeing it in 3d so basically we are not doing anything wrong. unless Agdi does not want us useing t

NONONONONONO

I'm not going to use a thing from KQ2VGA exept for maybe a easter egg that is just a refrence to the game. And also it IS going to be full 3D so i have no clue what your talking about dude....

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#43 Post by Alias » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:33 pm

This is a sensitive matter. Legal stuff, there is a straight answer but I doubt, SQ7, KQ9, Hero6, KQ2.5, and all the others will just stop because of that. Just dont be a loud mouth and post about it in oficial forums and e-mail Vu and stuff.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#44 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:10 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:
If you want to impress IA, send me a well written email why you want to impress IA. If it's good, I'll declare you legally impressive.
Ooooo, can all of us do that? :D
Sure, but based soley on Gronagor's art and your(Musically Speaking) music, I could declare you both legally impressive already. :D

Bt

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#45 Post by Klytos » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:03 am

What about me?