Remaking other VGA games?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

theMaxxx
Peasant Status

Remaking other VGA games?

#1 Post by theMaxxx » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:38 pm

I absolutely adored AGDI (though I much prefer Tierra) remakes of KQ1 and KQ2. I cant wait to play through Shapeir and Raseir with my favorite thief...
I adored the little tweaks that you made for the games that weren't possible in KQ5 and KQ6
-The ability to play with both text and speech at the same time.
-Beautiful digital music (much better than the crappy sound I get when I attempt to play KQ5)
-Scrolling through the cursors with the mouse wheel
-Hot spots on each of the cursors
-Points always on screen
-No bugs

How great would it be if someone remade KQ5, KQ6 (and all other Sierra Games while we're at it) that would have these options. And while we're on the subject of KQ5, KQ6, why not have an auto-map of the desert, labyrinth and catacombs?

We'd have the whole VGA KQ serie with an unified look and feel.

Anyway, I dream... but think how awesome it would be...
The backgrounds images, sprites, text, speech, music (Tom) are already made, after all...

Anyway,

Peace out.

Be happy

Maxxx

adeyke

#2 Post by adeyke » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:53 pm

Uh, no.

While the art for such a remake is already drawn, and the lines are already written, that won't significantly speed up the process. The time-consuming part is adding everything to the game, scripting it, testing it, fixing the bugs, etc. That could still take many months to complete.

And there'd be very little incentive to work on such a remake. Would you spend months of your life working on a game that'll be exactly the same as an existing one, except that it has hotspots on the cursors? As a fan, would you wait for months to download a game, and then get nothing new out of it, except some hotspots on the cursors?

So, really, it'd be a waste of time and effort.

EvilMulder
Peasant Status

#3 Post by EvilMulder » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:10 pm

Not really. With each new OS it gets harder and harder to run those old classics. (now already, I can't run KQ5 without having COD's every two minutes) So bringing it in line with modern technology would be great for the fans who can play those games again. I can see how it wouldn't be very interesting from the developer's point of view though.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Alias » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:13 pm

not another thread on remaking KQ5 and 6. :rolleyes

Why would someone re-create the same game and only modify some things? Pointless I tell you.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:18 pm

There are plenty of other ways to run those old programs without having them remade. See DOSBox and VDMSound.

Radiant
Knight Status

#6 Post by Radiant » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:47 pm

What you're thinking of has actually happened for LucasArts games, with the advent of ScummVM. Since all Lucas games basically run within the same interpreter (called SCUMM), this interpreter can be emulated.
Also, of course, all AGI Sierra games can be played using WinAGI.
It would of course be possible to create a ScivVM which then could play all VGA Sierra games from KQ5 to (let's see, what was the last SCIV game? Maybe GK2?). However, what may be a problem is that there seems to be much larger differences between different games. There is no uniform way in SCUMM games to display, say, portraits - it almost seems as if every game does it differently.
Anyway if someone would write ScivVM it would then be easy to add all sorts of tweaks like windowed mode and mousewheel support. You might try asking around at the SCI studio forums.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by Pidgeot » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:52 am

They are. It's called FreeSCI.