The Avatar's QFGII Mentionables

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

The Avatar
Knight Status

The Avatar's QFGII Mentionables

#1 Post by The Avatar » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:06 pm

First off, I haven't played QFGII in 10 years, so if I don't remember everything about it.. please pardon moi.

I remember being disappointed when transferring my character from one game to the next.. for a few reasons..

1.  Not all inventory items I took care to pick up in past games carried over with my character.  Where did all my potions go?  The money.. is fixed :(  it seems only my weapons were remembered?  Does this sound right?  It was so long ago...

2.  Going from 1 - 2. . I don't recall any bonus attribute points to add to my character after becoming hero of Spielburg.  Seems there should be some lasting benefit attribute wise...

3.  Finally, I'd really like to be able to decide my own destiny again.  If I bring in a fighter from QFG1, I'd like to change and become a mage or a thief here..  hey.. if I could make the choice in-game rather than pre-game, that would be really cool!

-Maybe that's impossible, i really can't remember the gameplay elements that would involve right now.  But, when I make my own game, the choice will be made in-game, based on my actions.  Just a recommendation for if you decide to take on an adventure/rpg yourselves in the future.

Now I open this topic for discussion.. thanks for allowing my input =)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Alias » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:48 pm

I also didnt like that much, I have a magic sword in QFG5 when I imported the character from QFG3 I didnt have a magic sword? I the sword though.  :lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:53 pm

1.  Not all inventory items I took care to pick up in past games carried over with my character.  Where did all my potions go?  The money.. is fixed   it seems only my weapons were remembered?  Does this sound right?  It was so long ago...
There's no healing/stamina/mana potions in QFG2, so transferring them over wouldn't make sense. In fact, since you can get lots of potions in QFG1 once you get strong enough, you'd seriously unbalance the game. Regarding money, only gold coins you collect in QFG1 are transferred over...not the silver coins. Since there's no renewable source of golds in QFG1 (unless you exploit a glitch in QFG1VGA), there's a limit of money you can transfer over. I personally think this is fair.
 2.  Going from 1 - 2. . I don't recall any bonus attribute points to add to my character after becoming hero of Spielburg.  Seems there should be some lasting benefit attribute wise...
It's again a compensation to avoid you starting with an overpowered character in QFG2. The average imported character is already a lot stronger than the average new character...adding 50 additional skill points would unbalance it even more. In QFG2VGA, you'll get 25 points to assign after importing...a middle road as it were.
 3.  Finally, I'd really like to be able to decide my own destiny again.  If I bring in a fighter from QFG1, I'd like to change and become a mage or a thief here..  hey.. if I could make the choice in-game rather than pre-game, that would be really cool!
Sorry, but that would bend the game's mechanics and would cause lots of weird effects, as lots of events are determined by your class. When importing a class, you'll have to stick with it, although you can try and go for paladinhood.

-Maybe that's impossible, i really can't remember the gameplay elements that would involve right now.  But, when I make my own game, the choice will be made in-game, based on my actions.  Just a recommendation for if you decide to take on an adventure/rpg yourselves in the future.
It's not a new idea, actually. I believe at least one announced QFG-project made a similar promise.

Thepal
Knight Status

#4 Post by Thepal » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:26 pm

Erpy wrote:Regarding money, only gold coins you collect in QFG1 are transferred over...not the silver coins. Since there's no renewable source of golds in QFG1 (unless you exploit a glitch in QFG1VGA), there's a limit of money you can transfer over. I personally think this is fair.
I'm fairly certain silver is converted to gold and transferred over...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Money

#5 Post by Brainiac » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:42 am

Actually, I think silver is converted to gold and then transferred only through imports from the original QFG1; I remember having serious issues with my money when I tried an import from QFG1VGA to QFG2...

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#6 Post by Uhanimar » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:11 am

Yes thats true. It's like: 10 silvers for a gold and you pay 2 golds instead of 20 silvers.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:45 am

did that post make sense to anyone?

Thepal
Knight Status

#8 Post by Thepal » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:12 am

It made sense, but it seemed to be saying the same thing twice.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Are you (ie, AGDI) going to make the exchange thing work in the same way? 'cause it is kinda annoying exchanging 30 coins at a time to get more Dinars (in qfg2, you get more that way than if you exchange them all at once).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:29 am

Well, if you're lazy, you can still exchange everything at once at the cost of a slightly higher fee. Or you can bite the clicking bullet and have a few extra dinars later. The only other alternative would be to have Dinarzad exchange coins free of charge, which isn't really consistent with her character. ;)

Yes, the exchange fee is there to stay. :)

Thepal
Knight Status

#10 Post by Thepal » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:31 am

But wouldn't the fee be a percentage? If so you should get the same no matter how much you exchange at a time.

And if not, usually you pay less when you do a larger transaction. So exchanging them all at once should make you get more dinars in return.

The Avatar
Knight Status

Answering my questions

#11 Post by The Avatar » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:05 pm

Thanks Erpy,

Sounds like AGDInteractive put quite a bit of thought into the little things that worried me.  I'm glad you kept close to the original.  Still, ample play-testing to ensure the minor gameplay changes work in all circumstances is a must!  Though from what I saw in KQ1VGA & KQ2VGA, you did a very good job with this aspect Erpy :)

But, I still feel a sense of loss from emersion in the story, when all my stuff disappears without a word.  :(

A simple textblock stating something like:  Shapierian guards at the gate confiscate your imported goods from Spielburg.  Certain, potions and odds and ends are illegal here.  Once the search is complete, they grant you access into their city..

What do you think?  unnecessary?  maybe..

adeyke

#12 Post by adeyke » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:21 pm

Well, for one thing, you don't enter the city through the gates.  It's also really illogical that things like rocks and empty flasks would be contraband in Shapeir.

This is just a case of gameplay vs. realism.  Players will understand that they can't keep all their inventory items.  It's like that with all adventure game sequels.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#13 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:52 pm

I'll field this one. The carpet ride from Speilburg was extremely turbulent and the Hero lost most of his items during the flight.  :D

Jafar
Super Star

#14 Post by Jafar » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:55 pm

Where did Abdullah learn to fly? :rollin

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#15 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:12 pm

He never did learn... that's the reason for the turbulence!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#16 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:29 pm

What if..... DUH..... most of your stuff is back in your costume that was "switched".  

Bt

The Avatar
Knight Status

losing items

#17 Post by The Avatar » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:35 pm

Hmm.. interesting.. how about this?

"In exchange for just a few insignificant items, Abdullah gives you this awesome new dessert costume so you can fit in with the locals.."

adeyke

#18 Post by adeyke » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:50 pm

Except that it's the katta magic that gives you your new outfit.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#19 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:52 pm

That doesn't happen. Shameen magically transforms the costume in the intro. Like adeyke said, this is a gameplay vs. realism issue. Since none of those casual items are exported to begin with, importing them wouldn't work. None of the QFG-games do a full inventory-transfer, which makes sense in my opinion. There's no need to cram all those inventory items into another game.

Jafar
Super Star

#20 Post by Jafar » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:53 pm

Just say goodbye and get some new items!  :p

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:26 pm

Sheema's inept.  All your items got magically whisked away with your clothes, minus the money in the wallet.  They give you new weapons.

TADA!

Bt

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#22 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:55 am

Sheema may be inept, but that doesn't change the fact that it was Shameen who transforms your clothes. :D

Turbulence, I tell you! When I was animating the hero's clothes-morphing animation, I took a peek inside his cape and pockets. All of his stuff was already missing. His weapon was sheathed and he keeps his money in the toe of his boot... that's why those things didn't get lost.

Seriously, the losing items between imports thing also bugged me quite a bit... it would probably be possible to implement carrying QFG1's items over to QFG2VGA... but as Erpy said, that would put imported heros at yet an even greater advantage and unbalance the gameplay. Plus, your inventory would be cluttered at the start of the game with useless junk. There's usually supposed to be an emphasis on the importance of the few items you start out with in QFG games.

We can also assume that the hero had to eat/share his rations during the carpet flight, and since Red Bull wasn't invented, he likely gave Abdulla his stamina potions to keep him awake at the wheel.

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#23 Post by Renodox » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:12 am

Ah yes, the "Where the heck is my stuff?" question.  The one that is even addressed in Qfg 4.  Personally, I doubt that the hero left RIGHT after he was ceremoniously called a hero.  So that being the case he may have left a lot of stuff behind just to lighten the load or get rid of unneeded items.

Oh, and The Avatar...
Dessert = A usually sweet course or dish, as of fruit, ice cream, or pastry, served at the end of a meal.

Desert = A barren or desolate area, especially:
A. A dry, often sandy region of little rainfall, extreme temperatures, and sparse vegetation.
B. A region of permanent cold that is largely or entirely devoid of life.
C. An apparently lifeless area of water.

The Avatar
Knight Status

missing items

#24 Post by The Avatar » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:30 pm

Hmm.. yes.. desert..  it's funny, when I typed it yesterday I had it right first and thought it looked wrong.  :)

Oh!  you could change the intro to show the Hero randomly dropping items and pouring out potions all over the land as they fly! haha.. making potion rainbows in their wake. .  that would explain it for sure!

I guess it doesn't help that I'm a natural packrat in real life..  But I really need to jump on my soap box for one minute...

If having the stuff and abilities you aquired in the first game puts you too far ahead in the second, then that's a problem with the design of the second game, no?  I mean, shouldn't it have been designed with the expectation that a more powerful character, one who already acquired 'herohood' from a past adventure is coming to the 'desert' ;)  I mean, if the stats needed to be raised for new characters to better match those of imported, and all quests and puzzles needed an increase in difficulty to supplement, that should have been found out in play testing and corrected.  right?
:(
I just think that taking an imported character that I worked hard to build up, and changing it to better suit the game before allowing me to play it, is the wrong way to 'balance' gameplay.. easier.. but wrong.

Of course, that's more a Sierra gripe than AGDI gripe, infact it makes me feel better that you were bugged with this, AGD2.. And I do agree with you and Erpy about this.. for THIS game..  thanks for the clarification.

Shade
Peasant Status

#25 Post by Shade » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:50 pm

I always thought that the Hero would leave allof the extraneous stuff back in Spielburg.  He's planning a vacation to shapeir why would he bring rocks and cheetaur claws?