When will QFG II Trial by Fire VGA + final be done?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#101 Post by BrianR » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:02 pm

I need to be the 100th post! So I just wanna say keep up the good work!  Any more developments?  Any weird bugs?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#102 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:21 am

BrianR wrote:Any weird bugs?
Well, I was talking to my super-secret-inside source who says that they've had a problem with the levitation spell.  Whenever they cast it, instead of floating, the hero grows large breasts.

Bt

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#103 Post by Music Head » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:14 am

:lol , lol. Here's to hoping they keep that one in  :p .

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#104 Post by BrianR » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:40 pm

That's pretty cool.  Did they fix it?  I have little experience, but that doesn't sound that hard to fix.  Or is it?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#105 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:36 pm

He was kidding...

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#106 Post by BrianR » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:13 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:He was kidding...
I'm retarded.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#107 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:39 pm

BrianR wrote:
I'm retarded.
It's okay.  I'm sure it's just lack of air from holding your breath in waiting for QFG2.

Bt

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#108 Post by BrianR » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:20 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:
BrianR wrote:
I'm retarded.
It's okay.  I'm sure it's just lack of air from holding your breath in waiting for QFG2.

Bt
Yes....

I wish I did not discover this site telling me about the remake until it was already done.....Don't know the pleasure...don't know the pain.

I just played through kq1 and 2.  I like qfg soooo much more.  I am starting to think if I offer a little cash maybe I could get a copy before the official release lol!  $10....eh sounds good eh?

XenoPhsycoMan
Peasant Status

I know i know

#109 Post by XenoPhsycoMan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:27 pm

ok ok i know i know that people want this game out right now and im not gonna be the one to complain why it isnt here yet but im just wonderin where are you guys at? i heard some beta testing was goin on but otherwise people are kinda beatin around the bush with questions about the release. It says in the journals its slated for dec 2006 and its that time now, i mean its early dec but maybe there should be another update since its been so long! but again im not being impatient i just am anxious and i want to know! I wrote a lot!

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#110 Post by Jontas » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:16 pm

I'll respond to this as a fellow fan (who is not a programmer or involve in the team in any way), I've been around long enough to understand a little about the nature of these things. First off, nobody is beating around the bush, when these guys say that it will be done when it gets done, it is because the is a genuine amount of uncertainty when it gets to the testing stage of the game, or any stage of the development process for that matter.

Dec 6 is an estimation and it really doen't mean anything more then that, demanding an update doesn't wake anybody up from hibernation or anything else. If anything, time taken to give use an update is time taken away from comleting the project. Had you read at least some of the stickies or recent posts, you would have found the answer to some of your concerns already.

Having said that, they'll probably be done sooner than we think, just be patient. If you knew how many times these guys have had to have this discussion already, you'd be amazed.

XenoPhsycoMan
Peasant Status

#111 Post by XenoPhsycoMan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:13 am

i am being patient i was just wonderin if things were on schedule b/c the journals havent been updated thats all, since its free im happy whenever its comin out :] i didnt mean to come off sounding impatient or whiny i just want to be informed. The December 6th part i didnt know was a date of any importance but i know with games, dates can be pushed. Sorry!

Betelgeuse
Peasant Status

#112 Post by Betelgeuse » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:03 pm

it'll be out when its done. we don't want another qfg4..

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#113 Post by MacGyver » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:42 am

It was rumored to be out by Christmas 2005, but I guess it's far from that. Now that we're at the alpha testing stage in Sept 2006, let's hope it'll be out by Christmas 2006  :D

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#114 Post by BrianR » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:37 pm

I remember hearing a member say they will annouce the closed beta testing.   I have only heard of the alpha.  So I doubt we will see a final release before Christmas.  Unless Beta testing is really going on?

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#115 Post by arganite » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:45 pm

Ahh yes. The first post said that it was angled at a 2004 christmas release :lol:. How time flies.

faustmonkey
Peasant Status

#116 Post by faustmonkey » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:14 pm

I haven't played the QFG series in ages, so it was a ton of fun for me to get back into the series (I got the four-games-in-one package). I just finished playing QFG1 all the way through for the first time in... man, at least a decade. It was the point-and-click VGA remake, too, so it was nice to go through it without having to type my way through every puzzle. (Ugh.)

Anyway, I just loaded up QFG2 and imported my character in, and... oh no! It's all text entry! I forgot how spoiled I've gotten with the newer adventure games -- there was a time I'd spend hours upon hours typing crap into the game trying to solve a puzzle. Now, having played the later-era Sierra games and all the great LucasArts adventure games with the SCUMM engine, I couldn't imagine having to slog through that text interface again.

I just now typed in "quest for glory 2 VGA" into google, hoping some industrious programmers had remade the game, and it directed me here. So cool that someone's doing it! I can't wait to import my character into the VGA version -- I couldn't imagine having to wade through the original, but I want to play part 3 with my character!

Is there a newsletter or anything I can sign up to so I'll now when it's downloadable? I've been reading through the thread and reading all the "It's done when it's done" replies, so I won't pressure the makers for a date or anything. I'll be happy to play it whenever it's ready. Still, it'd be nice to get a heads-up...

haradan
Knight Status

#117 Post by haradan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:16 am

Welcome to the forums faustmonkey. Although I understand your initial fear of going back to typing interface, QFG2 parser is quite complex and I never found a problem or puzzle in which the parser was the reason to get stuck, not like other previous Sierra games (Larry 2 anyone?). Furthermore, some very funny jokes are possible thanks to the game understanding a lot of input, jokes that will probably be lost in the point and click interface (they can not really put ALL the options in their new conversation menus) so I would encourage you to give it a try anyway.

Of course I'm also waiting anxiously for the VGA release, but I think you'll still have plenty of time to play the EGA version before the remake comes out. (Well, I hope it's not really PLENTY, but just ENOUGH  :lol )

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#118 Post by BrianR » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:12 pm

I find the typing not very fun.  I have played 1-4 and loved them.  But I never beat #2.  I was 13 and did not have the patients or wit to solve all the puzzles so I skiped to 3.  I am 23 now and I started to play it and it wasn't very fun, especially following a guide.  I got 50 points or so and stoped.   So after finding this website I have postponed reliving my childhood gaming experience until vga comes out.  Then I will continue on to #3 and 4....and maybe 5 if I can find it cheap.  I do not know the whole story since I never played #2 all the way through.  I cann't wait.

rich_eter
Peasant Status

#119 Post by rich_eter » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:58 pm

That's funny. I loved the typing. I'm a big fan of the text parser. I was very disappointed when Sierra made the switch to point and click. In fact, I'm disappointed that AGDI hasn't had a text parser in their remakes... but they do such a good job, I enjoy the games anyway.

haradan
Knight Status

#120 Post by haradan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:12 pm

I think one of the reasons Sierra changed their interface was that they were growing quite fast and were shipping a lot of games to different language speaking countries. If you don't speak english so well, its much easier to use a point and click system.

Me, I remember I used to play with the english-spanish dictionary next to me when I was a kid. I really improved my english in those days, its easier to learn words that you need rather than words you are just taught.

Of course the other reason was supposedly to avoid player's frustration of having to find the exact words but, as I said, I find the later typing games (like QFG2, Colonel's Bequest, Larry 3, etc.) to have very comprehensive parsers, so finding exact phrasing wasn't an issue, unlike a lot of AGI games and some SCIs.

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#121 Post by Thyme in Lost » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:57 pm

I learned how to type using Quest for Glory I and Quest for Glory II.

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#122 Post by BrianR » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:46 am

Rich I fail to see how typing was more fun.  Did it feel like you solved the password or something?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#123 Post by Gronagor » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:37 am

BrianR, you're too young.  Most people born before the 1980 (and who had experience with computers early on) will prefer typing.

Quite a few new games are moving back to having both the text parser and the mouse.

*sigh* How I miss DOS. Those days the computer did what you wanted it do... now Windows make YOU do what IT wants.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

dos rocks

#124 Post by Jontas » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:18 am

Amen brother!

I remember the first time my dad installed win95 on our old computer, I felt so constricted untill I found DOS Mode, and even then I was like "what a crappy version of DOS."
I remember learning ASCII and feeling like a god, then Windows came along and it was like 'Right click, properties.' For those of you who don't know what I'm ranting about it's the DOS command that alowed you to (among other things) hide files and folders on your computer.

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#125 Post by BrianR » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:23 pm

Really I am not to young.  I used DOS and word processor and I played a few games like qfg2.  LoL I remember playing the first version of the "Oregon Trail"  It was on cassette tape hooked to a Cammador 64.  So do not think I am just some young punk that believes its all about graphics.

But still nobody has explained why typing is or was better. Other than feeling restricted, is there any other reason why typing was better than clicking?

Is it possible some of you prefere typing soley because that was the way you fell in love with these games the first time?  Kinda like first time brand loyalty?  Like prefering a manual transmission car over and automatic because your first car was was a manual.  Or do you actually like the manual transmission?  Why?  was it better preformance?  I am looking for the why.
Thanks