Internet Distro Solutions

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Coreywhompus
Peasant Status

Internet Distro Solutions

#1 Post by Coreywhompus » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:23 pm

Hey, I've posted a couple times but not often, and I've been thinking about Distro Solutions, more for Himalaya and similar companies than AGDI, but himalaya doesn't have forums so I brought it here.

There seem to be distro services popping up these days, and I was wondering if these paths were being considered. For example, the Direct2Drive service by Game Spy could be a perfect independent game solution. I really don't know anything about the business, but I have basic knowledge of the state of storefront game shopping, and with PC games losing more and more space at game stores, I just can't see a successful campaign in that environment.

Here's an idea I've come up with, but have no way to implement or design. A distrobution collective in the adventure game community. The adventure game community just seems so tightly knit right now and rooted in the internet, that a collective of this sort could be the perfect way to pool distrobution resources.  It would bring together adventure game enthusiasts very quickly, and then could possibly have the resources available to spread the interest into a casual online game market.

This idea could be really stupid, but it's just one of the many things I think about to kill time.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#2 Post by Gronagor » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:56 pm

There has been quite a few talks about something like a 'Mother Company' only in the sense of collective and/or easier distribution, but... game developers are all a bit full of themselves.

It requires bonds of sorts, and it seems when they say they are independant they really mean to have no connections whatsoever.

Funny thing is... it would be the ideal answer for everyone, but...