My love for QfG2

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

My love for QfG2

#1 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:58 pm

Mere words can't express how big this game was to my childhood.  Everything about it, about Shapier, its still so fantastic now that I'm playing the game again after days trying to figure out how to run it on my PC.

I was just wondering if there could be a QfG2 VGA expansion pack of sorts?  I mean, a few months took place between 2 and 3.  I'd love to explore Shapier some more, even walk around in the palace now that the Hero is a prince.  Maybe even use the magic carpet to go to Rasier and see how the reconstruction is going there :)

But really, those are just whimsical thoughts.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:03 pm

I think after QFG2 is done AGDI will focus there attempts on oringal games and maybe a remake or two but I cant see them adding anything like an original expansion to an existing remake though.

A good idea though  :)

Phoenix Software
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Phoenix Software » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:09 pm

Expansions? I like THAT idea.  ;)

Broomie
The Enigma

#4 Post by Broomie » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:43 pm

I read something about there supposedly being expansion packs for the original QFG2, yet it never made it or something or there wasn't enough room on the disk.

And I believe this was asked before, and if I recall correctly the answer was no. Good idea though.

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:44 pm

Well, an expansion WOULD require some new background art.   However, over 90% of the work would've been done

adeyke

#6 Post by adeyke » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:40 am

Well, an expansion WOULD require some new background art.   However, over 90% of the work would've been done
Er, no.  You completely underestimate the work required.

There won't be any sort of expansion.

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:43 am

adeyke wrote:
Er, no.  You completely underestimate the work required.

There won't be any sort of expansion.
apologies then.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:44 am

While most background art would indeed exist already, the scripting would have to start from square 0 on that one and would be a tremendous job.

adeyke

#9 Post by adeyke » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:25 am

And in order to be worth playing, it'd need some new plot, puzzles, NPCs, dialogue, etc.  So it'd be a whole lot of work to just design it, before the implementation can even start.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

work

#10 Post by johnb4467 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:26 am

Yeah it really is crazy how much work goes into something that 'seems' so simple.
I took a c++ class in undergrad and dang...that was rough stuff.
Even with AGS taking making things a bit more automated, I'm sure it's super-tedious putting in all the scripting time. Cool to know how to do, but not very fun to. ;)
Lol, and here I am now, working on a masters in visual effects, and once again the case is the same. You watch the 'making of' dvd's and they make it sound like it's a 'one click deal' doing a bluescreen extraction and stuff. Lol -- everything is complicated and multi-stepped!
But hey, that's what makes it worth doing. ;)

I must say you guys -- you are my absolute HEROES for bringing QGII to the VGA world! My fav game of all-time -- played through it at least 20 times over the years [even bought the mt-32 for it]. During my first time trying to get paladin, I must have played through the game I swear 8 times trying to get the dad-gum ending...still can't figure out what I was doing wrong...but I finally got it! Was about to turn of the computer, as I was raging mad at thinking I AGAIN hadn't earned the paladin status -- spouting 4 letter words and whatnot [would DEFINITELY not have gotten paladin status for that one!]...and then all of the sudden the text pops up: "Is there anyone else..." and then I started doing a girlie victory dance! Haha, ahhh the memories!
John

PS - I know this pry doesn't mean much...but over at Lori and Corey's site [transolar gaming], for a long while Lori was adding updates almost every day...now the updates are far-and-inbetween...I keep thinking [likely in vain] that they might be brewing up a new project! How cool it would be! It still ticks me off that Sierra [or whatever the company is NOW] won't sell them the rights, even when they inquired about such a deal.

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:21 pm

To me Quest for Glory was the first TRUE RPG.

What other game used a real-time fighting engine, progressive game days, realistic stat building, multiple puzzle solutions, and the need to feed and rest your hero in such an interactive environment?

I once let a friend try to play Quest for Glory 3.  This friend was used to console 'RPG's'(I can't see how they were considered RPG's).  20 minutes later he gave up and said it was 'too hard'.

Not knocking Final Fantasy, but... strip the fighting engine off FF and you have an adventure game.

Strip the fighting engine off QfG and you STILL have an RPG.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#12 Post by jpnuar1 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:18 pm

Indeed. I never could understand how the Zelda series and such could possibly be considered RPGs... Since there is little, if any, RPing included in them.
Just wondering, does anyone know how they managed to be inluded among (RP)Gs? If so, feel free to share the info... It'll give me something to occupy my attention until either QFG2VGA is released, or until plans of a sequel to Eternal Darkness are released. :D