QFGIIVGA Comments/Suggestions

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ejx982
Peasant Status

QFGIIVGA Comments/Suggestions

#1 Post by ejx982 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:38 am

I've started to play through QFGI as I can't find my old characters to import to QFG2VGA.  As I max my stats (old habits die hard)  I had these comments/suggestions.

a) When you have 0 Stamina Points (SP), you *immediatly* die.  This is a bit annoying AND in most RPGs/Adventure games when you run out of a secondary stat such as SP, it'll begin to drain your Hit Points (HP) instead *THEN* you die.  Its a bit annoying ot have 80/98HP, but you have 0SP and you die.  I was just hopping the QFGIIVGA team can change it so it subtract from HP, when you are out of SP (before you reach 0SP, it subtracts from HP) AND when you get 'tired', it takes say 1.25x as much stamina to stay awake and when you get 'really' tired it'll take 1.5x as much stamina to stay awake.

b) As a thief, I enjoy throwing daggers at an enemy before we engage in combat. In QFGI, it's a pain to retrieve them.  I *think* in QFG2EGA, when you search the body it automatically retrieves all your daggers.  If not, it would be a nice 'tweak' for QFG2VGA.

c) I found another thread of individuals who are also boosting their stats and I think it would be a great idea to allow a double click to re-cast the last spell.  Saves time to maximize spells.

d) This will be a Win32 game right?  We won't need to use DOSBox to make it run?

e) I heard rumors of incorporating the "chest" from QFG3-5. Awesome idea if this is true.

So far the site looks great, can't wait until testing begins.

ejx982

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#2 Post by Gronagor » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:47 am

a) I agree

b) Should pick up the daggers automatically after combat.

d) No DosBox

e) Heard the same rumors... :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:01 am

a) When you have 0 Stamina Points (SP), you *immediatly* die.  This is a bit annoying AND in most RPGs/Adventure games when you run out of a secondary stat such as SP, it'll begin to drain your Hit Points (HP) instead *THEN* you die.  Its a bit annoying ot have 80/98HP, but you have 0SP and you die.  I was just hopping the QFGIIVGA team can change it so it subtract from HP, when you are out of SP (before you reach 0SP, it subtracts from HP) AND when you get 'tired', it takes say 1.25x as much stamina to stay awake and when you get 'really' tired it'll take 1.5x as much stamina to stay awake.
I believe stamina loss only killed you in actual combat in QFG1. In QFG2EGA, the only battle in which stamina loss killed you was the ghoul's battle. In QFG2VGA, you won't die if your SP drops to 0 in battle.
c) I found another thread of individuals who are also boosting their stats and I think it would be a great idea to allow a double click to re-cast the last spell.  Saves time to maximize spells.
I don't believe AGS' gui's support double-clicking, but at least the crosshair won't disappear after using one targetted spell.
d) This will be a Win32 game right?  We won't need to use DOSBox to make it run?
Don't worry, it's a Windows program.

Radiant
Knight Status

#4 Post by Radiant » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:58 pm

Yes, combat stamina loss kills you, but doesn't Antwerp stamina loss do the same?

Jafar
Super Star

#5 Post by Jafar » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:05 pm

I thought the Antwerp made you lose Health.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#6 Post by Ghost_Rider » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:22 am

Jafar wrote:I thought the Antwerp made you lose Health.
Yep, and you lose ALL of your health if you attack it.  Hero pancake!

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#7 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:13 am

Yep, and you lose ALL of your health if you attack it.  Hero pancake!
No tif you held your sword or dagger above your head and poked the little clown! :D
As a thief, I enjoy throwing daggers at an enemy before we engage in combat. In QFGI, it's a pain to retrieve them.  I *think* in QFG2EGA, when you search the body it automatically retrieves all your daggers.  If not, it would be a nice 'tweak' for QFG2VGA.
It's true. If the dagger HIT your opponent then searching him will get them back, and for the daggers that missed, typing in 'get daggers' will get those. Of course, typing in 'get daggers' will get ALL your daggers back as well, both the ones that hit, and those that didn't.

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Alias » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:57 am

So IS there going to be a chest? QFG1 really doesnt need one because you dont pick up much. And will you have the same inventory items when you import your character?

I heard ''rumors'' maybe you  can confirm this?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:38 am

Things that transfer over from game to game are things like weapons and gold coins. Things like potions, undead unguent, mandrake root, tons of throwing rocks and magic mirrors will remain in Spielburg.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Alias » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:45 pm

Erpy wrote:Things that transfer over from game to game are things like weapons and gold coins. Things like potions, undead unguent, mandrake root, tons of throwing rocks and magic mirrors will remain in Spielburg.

And the chest?

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#11 Post by jpnuar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:56 pm

Reptile wrote:And the chest?
If my psychic powers serve me correctly, I predict that your torso will remain in Speilburg, and that our beloved hero will die of suffocation mere moments into the game.  It is still a mystery to me how he even managed to survive all the way through the intro...

:rollin

Gav
Knight Status

#12 Post by Gav » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:03 am

Something that I think would be a really cool addition to the game would be a completed/not completed tasks list at the end of the game like you get in QFG5.  I would never have replayed QFG5 except that I was astonished to see how many things I had missed out on doing.  Unlike QFG5, however, it would probably be best to specify which of the missed tasks were specific to any hero classes.

Probably too late for an addition like this, but I just felt like adding my 2 cents.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Alias » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:10 am

Indeed that is a good idea, but then it would spoil it in some sort of way. The idea is that you must try and find out about and complete those quests. ;)

ejx982
Peasant Status

Quest Log

#14 Post by ejx982 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:17 pm

I think a list of missed points/quests would be great... but I coudl live without it.  I can't wait util the beta testing begins.

I got an itch to play the series all through again, My Wizard Class is already to be exported to QFG2VGA, then I gotta go through my Figther.

Even if I don't mak the testing team, I'll be sure to play through the eras looking for problems.  I hope to reburn my QFG Anthonlogy CD with QFG2 VGA on it :)

ejx982

techie775
Knight Status

#15 Post by techie775 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:01 am

The one thing that bothers me if you transfer your character from qfg1 and you still have a bunch of healing, vigor or mana potions you lose them. You don't get any credit for them or anything. Like in the begining of qfg2 shema could tell you that she switched your potions for pills or something. You can't even keep them  and once you run out that's the end of it and you start buying the pills. Just seems like a raw deal because potions aren't free and if you've been stockpiling them in qfg1 you have to start over. I think in qfg3 they give you some pills if you import.  It might not be worth the trouble but I'm just giving an idea. (But then again you could do like qfg4 and lose everything but your armor)

ejx982
Peasant Status

Potions Gone...

#16 Post by ejx982 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:01 am

I was about to ask that question a few days ago, but if I can remember correctly the Magic Carpet ride was "A bit bumpy" and a few items were lost.

aka "All your Potions".  It *IS* a waste, as I usually have a bit more money than normal, but I don't get all of it when I import.  The Exported file may only contain player stats & not wealth or potion contents.  If so, there would be no way to import them.

Oh well.  My Wizard full 100 Stats/Spells is done :)  Time to work on the Fighter Class.

ejx982

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#17 Post by Ghost_Rider » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:01 am

Also, in QFG2 they switched to pills.  No healing potions, instead it's healing pills, etc.  Another reason why water is important.  

QFG3 was pills as well, then QFG4 was back to potions... and QFG5 has both.  They must have gotten all the leftovers from the first 4 games.   :)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Alias » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:37 pm

So Erpy, will there be a chest or not?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#19 Post by Erpy » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:02 pm

It's one of those optional things we may or may not end up implementing. (depending on how much time we have to focus on the non-essential things in the game) You'll find out when you get to play the game, I guess.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Alias » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:59 pm

I doubt it would be take a extra month just to add a few animations and code.  :p

It will have to be one of those surprises.  :)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#21 Post by Gronagor » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:35 pm

Well... it would require an extra room with Wasc/Mask etc.

But Erpy's right. It wouldn't really determine the quality of the game. If it is there... nice. If not... it doesn't matter: The hero has deep pockets.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#22 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:46 am

A chest in QFG 2 would be nice, but I'm not sure if its totally necessary.

For one thing, the only problem I had with weight is not from all the items, but rather from all the cash I was carrying with me. I only searched the brigands and jackalmen only at the very beginning when I really needed cash, beyond the point it wasn't necessary since I got all the money I needed from the money exchange AND all of the scorpion tails and ghouls claws I sold to Harik, and also there was the rewards I got for stopping the elementals.

Of course, during my days as a pure fair player, I did need a lot of cash for all the pills, but after I was maxed out, there was just no need to keep on casting spells all time, and my combat skills were all maxed out and I just didn't need to dodge or parry (although I maxed those out, too) but simply striking my enemies until they died.

That was my only weight problem. I did occasionally buy pots from the Katta merchant, but I only did it because it would support his business (yes, I actually care for the life of a pixellated character!), but I normally dropped it afterwards.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, if you people feel a need for a chest, then by all means, go ahead and do it! :)

Till next time stay cool :smokin

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#23 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:51 am

Oh well.  My Wizard full 100 Stats/Spells is done   Time to work on the Fighter Class
HA! I have ALL the maxed out characters on my PC for YEARS! :P

All you guys have to work and work and work while I can just be incredibly lazy in this regard! :rollin

Till next time stay cool :smokin

Radiant
Knight Status

#24 Post by Radiant » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:08 pm

Paladinlover wrote:I did occasionally buy pots from the Katta merchant, but I only did it because it would support his business (yes, I actually care for the life of a pixellated character!), but I normally dropped it afterwards.
<grin> that's really encouraging. You buy a pot, then throw it to the ground in pieces. Then buy another, then break it again. All right in front of the saleskatta :)

Anyway the true challenge to QfG is not maxing your character, but winning with the lowest possible stats :)

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#25 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:42 pm

<grin> that's really encouraging. You buy a pot, then throw it to the ground in pieces. Then buy another, then break it again. All right in front of the saleskatta  
No, I'm actually quite considerate! I buy the pots, then I got out into the desert and drop them there... same applies to any unneeded ghoul's claws and scorpion's tails... just in case someone passes by and ends up hurting himself because of it.

And while it is more challenging to finish the game without having maxed out stats, wouldn't it be better if you had a kick ass hero who would defeat all his enemies without breaking a sweat?

Till next time stay cool :cool: