KQ3 VGA ended

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#26 Post by Erpy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:31 pm

Erpy Just to double check if I would like to copy a file like you sad are there any files that need taking for general work like the paches file I found on my anthology CD. Cause as I understand you if I want the QFGIVGA I take the QFGI New file and copy that. But Since I have never done this I was not sure what file to take other than the obvious ones.
You take the QFG1NEW folder (not file, folder) and copy it. Simply select it, press ctrl-C, go to your hard drive and press ctrl-V. Like I said before, make sure to uncheck the read-only property of all files inside in order to avoid problems.
A related question now I see many QFGIII files each with a letter after them, I am I right in beleiving these as translations ie QFGIIIF=french translation and QFGIIIE=english translation. For the moment I am only interested in the english one. I belive I only take QFGIIIE for that one. Am I correct?
Yes, you are.
Last question there are two QFG4 files one for windows and the other is dos. For the full voice version do I use the windows only file or both? Thanks for your help and especialy patience.
You might want to make an exception for QFG4...use the install program (a bat-file) and install QFG4. (english and voice) You'll still need the CD then. Don't run the Windows version unless you can't run the DOS-version.

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by Draco62 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:36 am

[quote]Quote:
Erpy Just to double check if I would like to copy a file like you sad are there any files that need taking for general work like the paches file I found on my anthology CD. Cause as I understand you if I want the QFGIVGA I take the QFGI New file and copy that. But Since I have never done this I was not sure what file to take other than the obvious ones.

You take the QFG1NEW folder (not file, folder) and copy it. Simply select it, press ctrl-C, go to your hard drive and press ctrl-V. Like I said before, make sure to uncheck the read-only property of all files inside in order to avoid problems.

I took all the files in it is that what you mean by folder?
And this folder on Paches seems to be seperate from the each game folder is it important? And lastly how can I make icons for my desctop? Does that happen when I down load the Sript code patches? Thanks again for all the help and especialy your patiants.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#28 Post by Ghost_Rider » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:10 pm

Hello Draco,

Yep you got it, just click on the folders, and copy them to your hard drive.  I have found that it's best to create a folder on your hard drive called Sierra, right on your C drive - especially if you are going to install QFG4.  (Normally newer games go to your Program Files folder - but for the old sierra games, easier to put them into C:\Sierra -- instead of C:\Program Files\Sierra)

Ok, so once you have copied the folders of the games you want to play to your C: drive, you should be ready to go.  You said you wanted to make desktop shortcuts?  Ok, here is the easiest way, I will use QFG1NEW for the example:

1) Go to C:\Sierra\QFG1NEW folder

2) Look for file called QG1NEW.bat

3) Right-click on the file and select "Create Shortcut"

4) A shortcut will be created in this same folder - right click on the shortcut, and select "cut"

5) Right-click on your desktop and select "paste".  Now you have a shortcut to QFG1NEW (VGA)

Just repeat the process for any other Sierra games and you should be all set.

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by Draco62 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:24 pm

Thank you very much  :D. Do you do this after the patch download? I am having problems with that at the moment but when that is resolved I will try out and see if everything will work out. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#30 Post by anathoth8 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:48 pm

There's actually an even easier way to make a shortcut. I'll use the same example as Ghost_Rider.

1) Go to C:\Sierra\QFG1NEW folder.

2) Size the window so you can see the desktop behind it.

3) Look for the file called QG1NEW.bat

4) Using the right mouse button, click and drag the file to the desktop.

5) On the menu that opens, select "Create Shortcut(s) Here"

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#31 Post by Ghost_Rider » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:16 am

anathoth8, you're right, that is easier.  You learn something new every day   :)

Draco, when you say patches I am guessing you mean the timer fixes / bug fixes?  

I think the easiest way is open the "zip" file that the patches come in.  

If you use WinZip then highlight all of the files, and click on "Extract".  If you do not have WinZip, then select all of the files and do Ctrl + C (or right click and say "copy").

In WinZip you can set the directory to where the files will be extracted.  Make sure to put them into the directory of the game you are patching.  Or, just copy the files and paste them into that directory.  (You may also be able to drag and drop them into the directory.

It may ask if you wish to overwrite existing files, if it does, say "yes to all".

Note that if you have already started playing a game, you may have trouble with that saved character.  Better to start over once you have installed the patch.

Ok so in short, open the zip file, copy all files, and paste them into the game directory.  That should do it.

Hope this helps!

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#32 Post by Pidgeot » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:48 am

Actually, if you want it on the desktop, there's an even easier way:

1) Go to C:\Sierra\QFG1NEW folder.

2) Look for the file called QG1NEW.bat.

3) Right-click it and choose Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut)