A Harry Potter Thread

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

A Harry Potter Thread

#1 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:21 am

Anyone own Harry Potter 6 yet? I got it today even after telling my mother not to get it so now I guess I have to read it. Bt told me who dies and I just want to see if he was right. Anyone else reading?

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#2 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:34 am

i bought it and read it all on saturday.  it's amazing.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Pidgeot » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:37 am

Me and two friends went to London for the midnight release party by Waterstone's in Oxford Street, great fun - stood in the queue for six hours. We were numbers 445-447 to arrive, and at least 500 more arrived during the evening. It was an amazing experience.

Took me about 10 hours of actual reading time to get through it (mostly AFTER I'd gotten some sleep), and I enjoyed every minute of it. Well, except for when that person died, of course. But I'm sure you'll understand once you learn who it was.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#4 Post by Swift » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:55 am

I'm going out to buy it now.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:09 pm

well I'm kinda dissapointed at chapters 1 and 2 although 3 picks up and 4 looks promising. I wasn't even really planning on reading it but it's looking good.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#6 Post by Swift » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:37 am

I did the unthinkable... Spent the whole night reading through the book, and sleeping in the morning after finishing the book. Just woke up.

Managed to figure out who dies again.

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#7 Post by VampD3 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:07 am

Ive got the other books but not this one yet so I'll have to go and buy it soon. Hope its as good, don't mention who dies though!!   :)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#8 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:29 am

Lol, we just went to Starbucks which is inside a book shop and Deb read the back of the Harry Potter book and found out who dies!!!

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#9 Post by VampD3 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 am

I don't believe it!!! I just read a little bit of it and it was right there!! Trust me, I'll know not to do that again.

Alliance
Knight Status

#10 Post by Alliance » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:11 pm

Yeah, I got mine yesterday and read it all day. It was amazing. Harry really grows up in this one, folks.  ;)
But I was really sad at who dies, that was a shocker. Never thought it would happen that way either.

Parhelion
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Parhelion » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:39 pm

I've haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, but after reading all the drama in this thread I just have to know:  Who dies, dammit!?!?!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#12 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:58 pm

I'm only on chapter 5 but according to a leaked scource I hear many months ago it is

[spoiler]Albus Dumbledore[/spoiler]

although I'm not confirming this and I'm asking no one does without tags.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#13 Post by Kloreep » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:36 pm

Swift wrote:I did the unthinkable... Spent the whole night reading through the book, and sleeping in the morning after finishing the book. Just woke up.
I did the same thing last weekend. :)

And if all of you watching really want to know, the death was actually:

[spoiler]Albus Dumbledore.

Didn't find his death surprising, though his killer... that was a shock. Though I perhaps should have seen it coming from the beginning in retrospect.

To people who have read the book: What do you think of Snape? Still working for the good guys or is he Voldy's?[/spoiler]

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#14 Post by Swift » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:45 am

[spoiler]I think from his recent actions thta he's on Voldy's side.[/spoiler]

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:47 am

ohh I want to highlight the spoilers so bad! I'm going to go read up some more so I can.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#16 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:53 am

[spoiler]i'm wondering if it was planned - that Dumbledore and Snape had planned for Snape to kill him, so Malfoy would not have to do it.  I was really impressed with the depth of the development of Draco in this book.[/spoiler]

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#17 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:38 am

[spoiler]JKR gave an interview to The Leaky Cauldron and MuggleNet. In that interview, she hints that Dumbledore may have voluntarily chosen to die. She's a bit unclear on it, though, but from what I've been told, she's never lied about these things.

She also reveals who R.A.B. really is, look at the next spoiler block for that.[/spoiler][spoiler]Regulus Black.[/spoiler]

Kloreep
Knight Status

#18 Post by Kloreep » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:07 pm

[spoiler]Yeah, I figured that was RAB. Who else has those initials?

BTW, has RAB been mentioned in any previous books? I don't recall it, but it's been a while since I read any of the others.

And yeah, what I was getting at with that question was whether Snape killing Dumbledore was planned. Or perhaps not planned, but agreed on as Snape's course of action if things went wrong like they did.[/spoiler]

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#19 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:21 pm

[spoiler]Like I said, JKR was a bit unclear in regards to Dumbledore's death, so she didn't rule out the possibility that it was planned a long time ago - possible through an Unbreakable Vow.
The initials R.A.B. have not been mentioned before now. It's been theorized that the A stands for Alphard, the name of Sirius' uncle.
Some have also theorized that R.A.B. is Amelia Bones - she'd then have to either have a title starting with R, or an additional first name.
It's also been theorized that R.A.B. is just a nickname. The only thing that's known for certain is that it's an already known character - JKR has stated in an interview that there will be no new major characters in Book 7.
All of the R.A.B. speculation is detailed in the Wikipedia article on him/her - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ R.A.B. (remove the space)[/spoiler]

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#20 Post by Boogeyman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:10 am

Swift wrote:[spoiler]I think from his recent actions that he's on Voldy's side.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]But isn't Snape on the Dark Lord's death list? I'm pretty sure this was mentioned near the end of "Goblet of Fire"[/spoiler]

Kloreep
Knight Status

#21 Post by Kloreep » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:17 am

[spoiler]I'd imagine pretty much anybody who didn't either get themselves locked in Azkaban for standing by their dead Dark Lord, or didn't come to his ressurection when he made the dark marks do their stuff, was on some sort of Voldy bleep list. However, Snape re-upped with Voldy soon after his Resurrection - supposedly as a double agent so far as Dumbledore and the Order was concerned. I can't recall whether the timing was stated in Order of the Phoenix, but it was definitely stated in Half-Blood Prince that he rejoined the Death Eaters pretty soon after Voldy's return, a matter of a day or two IIRC.

So, while it's impossible to say just where he stood with Voldy at the time, or what his intentions were in rejoining, he certainly was allowed back in. And killing Dumbledore is bound to make him trustworthy in the Death Eaters' eyes; question is, to what extent, and what will he do with his position?[/spoiler]

Da_elf
Knight Status

#22 Post by Da_elf » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:23 pm

AAAARRRGGGG!!! stop with the spoilers!!!!! your tempting me beyond belief and i dont have a copy yet.

to side track this train (hogwarts express to be exact)hehe, have you guys seen the trailer for the next film? it looks really good however i know book 4 had alot in it tats probably going to be cut out if its going to be an aceptable time length. shame. but harry potter and also the lion, the witch and the wardrobe are two movies for this year im looking forward to and both are from great books

Kloreep
Knight Status

#23 Post by Kloreep » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:12 pm

Nope, haven't seen the trailer.

I've seen the previous three on video. While I watched those all the way through, I have a feeling I might turn off movie #4 in disgust of how cut up it is. The previous movies already chopped off more than I liked.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#24 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:32 pm

Years ago I heard book 4 was going to be a 2 movie part but is that idea completly gone?