Dogs

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

oriel
Royal Servant Status

Dogs

#1 Post by oriel » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:05 am

Hi.

I'm not a dog owner and don't know too much about taking care of them.  What i do know, though, is that dogs in my neighborhood have created a nuisance that myself and other homeowners in my complex are beginning to dislike.  

1) Dogs bark incessently during the evening / night.  To be more specific, there is a rotation of about 5 to 6 dogs i can clearly make out barking by their pitch.

2) Dogs peeing / pooping on my front lawn.  I'd include a picture if I could, but the front lawn of my complex has been dessicated by the abuse of dog owners.

Maybe you're a dogowner who thinks it's their duty to shove your dogs shit in everyone's face; maybe you own a dog and are clueless that you have a pet at other's expense; maybe you own a dog and take responsible care of them.

Anyhow, tell me what you think.

Milan?  Let's hear it.  :)

Oriel

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:07 am

Sounds like you are trolling. If this turns into an argument, this thread is history.

El_Listo
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by El_Listo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:23 am

No need to use the big guns with this poor guy, I think he is just pissed off because of irresponsible dog owners, no trolling in my opinion.

So dudes, peace and love for all the people on earth.

P.S: And navy, to try and cool things up a bit, here is a picture dedicated to you, i saw it and you came to my mind, really.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:35 am

No need to use the big guns with this poor guy, I think he is just pissed off because of irresponsible dog owners, no trolling in my opinion.
I agree with Navy. Seems like a direct attempt to provoke a hostile reaction. It just seems too coincidental that this topic is created right after AGD1 makes a post about being a dog lover. I doubt AGD1 would feel adressed though, because:

- Hank (AGD1's Great Dane) is already considered noisy if he barks twice a day. He usually only opens his mouth to yawn, eat or chew on things.

- Hanks droppings are usually immediately collected in specially designed plastic bags for easy disposal in the waste containers.

That said, I guess irresponsible dog owners can be a nuisance, but there's also plenty of responsible ones around.

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by oriel » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:41 am

Ehh.  It's not to provoke anger, even though I have anger towards irresponsible dog owners.  This is really an issue out where I live.  I'm serious about my question, basically I want to know what dog owners think.

Thanks.

Oriel

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:14 am

Like you just said, it isnt the dogs causing the nuisance its the owners.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:14 pm

i gotta agree with you, dude, about the dog crap that people just leave on the grass.  Out here, it doesn't rain, so if a dog take a dump somewhere and the owner just leaves it, it stays there until it decomposes.  And it SMELLS something awful because of the unbelievable heat out here as well.  When I'm walking to classes, I have to watch my step on the sidewalk because people will let their dogs poop on the sidewalk, and not clean it up.  I shouldn't have to do that.  The lawns on the apartment complexes around here generally are solid masses of poo.  So, I definetly understand your frustration, but express it towards the owners - the dogs are just doing what they gotta do.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#8 Post by Fribbi » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:13 pm

Always when I visit this website I see always new and different threads. And now the latest thread in this computer games forums I found on this forums is a thread about dogs. :rollin

What will it be next? Maybe it will about recipes or something about cars  hahaha. :lol

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#9 Post by VampD3 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:00 am

I have a dog, Love her to bits.

She never barks, unless the postman comes to the door but thats only once a day. She's so quite around Katherine esp when she's sleeping and she's so gentle.

As for her mess, we always clean up after her.

Like Angelus said its the Dog owners not the dogs, the dogs just do what they can get away with  ;) Bit like children.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#10 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:13 pm

I remember when I was little and we had a dog it was so amazing...no wait that nhever happened my brother is terribly alergic to dog fur... although one day...!

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

#11 Post by Milan Easton » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:38 am

Hey Oriel,

Owning a dog is like owning a child.  Most children that cause problem behaviors are doing so because they haven't been properly reared by their parents.   Luckily, kids eventually grow up and become responsible for their own lives, and can take the blame for their actions--but dogs on the other hand will ALWAYS be the responsiblity of their owner.  There are many bad owners out there.

Don't get me wrong though. I do think some dogs are born with a bad tempermant.  For instance, I know of many dogs which were born fearfully aggressive--such animals may cause problems regardless of how well they are raised.  But, if an owner decides to purchase such an animal, I think it's his or her responsibility to keep it leashed, on a muzzle, try to socialized it as much as possible, train it as much as possible, and be very weary when bringing the dog around other people.

I know what a HUGE responsibility it is owning a dog, especially since I'm drawn to some of the larger and more aggressive breeds.  The Fila Brasileiro was banned in several countries due to potential aggression, and I chose a dog which was fearfully aggressive.  It was difficult taking care of such a potentially dangerous dog, but I made certain to walk him late at night when few people were around, made sure our fencing was secure, always kept him muzzled when outdoors, and worked on extensive training.

My dog now is a huge couch potato and much easier to care for in comparison.  He rarely barks, and I've created a little "park" on my patio to use as a restroom.  He's entirely an indoor dog, and everyone who sees him falls in love with him.  He thinks he's a lap dog, too, which is amusing!

We've potty trained him to go potty in the rocks outside, and we always clean it up promptly with little baggies.  We have enrolled him in obedience training so that he will behave and not cause probelms once he's 200lbs.

A lot of people asked me why I put him in training--which made me realize exactly why there are so many problem dogs out there.  Most people just don't realize that dogs need to be socialized, trained, and "humanized" if they are going to live peacably in a human world.

I actually wrote my 20 page research paper my senior year of high school on the topic of aggressive breeds of dogs and the problems the cause--owner's fault, or dog's fault?  Got an A+--and again, I did debate that a bad dog is the biproduct of a bad owner.  I'd say my stance on that is pretty much the same now as well.

I have to admit though, a barking dog does not personally bother me...nor does dog crap all about the place (as long as I don't step in it!).  But, I do understand how it would annoy other people...especially those who are not big dog lovers.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Plus

#12 Post by FatherGhostface » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:51 am

Plus, they are so cuddley you just want to hug them and never let go! HEHEHEHEHHEHEHE! Always let them know they are SOOOOOO cute! My dogs used to be miserable until I started petting them telling them how cute they are, now they are more playful! YAY DOGS!

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#13 Post by Peter Swinkels » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:01 pm

Owning a dog is like owning a child.
OWNING a child? Also, although there are similarities to children a dog is NOT a human being although some dog owners seem to forget that...

BTW: I always am telling our dog and cat how much I like them as well, they seem to enjoy that a lot, especially our cat.

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#14 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:06 pm

Milan Easton wrote:Owning a dog is like owning a child.  Most children that cause problem behaviors are doing so because they haven't been properly reared by their parents.   Luckily, kids eventually grow up and become responsible for their own lives, and can take the blame for their actions--but dogs on the other hand will ALWAYS be the responsiblity of their owner.  There are many bad owners out there.
Very well said.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Canine clone

#15 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:43 pm

Speaking of dogs...look at this.

This is considered the Holy Grail for commercial application of this particular controversial technology.  Anyone care to share their opinion?