QFG -Game Help.-

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

QFG -Game Help.-

#1 Post by Def Zeppelin » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:33 am

I just started playing GFQ, but I am confused about some things, and I need some suggestions that a newbie like me could use.

I want to know which class is the best to start off with and where should I be putting the stats?

Also, I need some help with this theif with the coin spell.  How do I get past him?

Thx ahead of time.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:34 pm

I want to know which class is the best to start off with and where should I be putting the stats?
Are you playing the original or the remake?

Any class is fine. I personally like to play with pure classes without added skills as this forces you to approach problems throught he mindset of the character you're actually playing.

Imagine a locked door being in your way.

Fighter: Straight-forward one. He'll bash down the door and if there's a guard in front of it, he'll kill him.

Wizard: Indirect problem-solver. He learns spells along the way and has to put them to creative use in order to solve situations. He'd open a door with his "open"-spell after using one of his spells to temporary disable a guard in front of it.

Thief: Works around problems and has a skills no other class has, like sneaking, picking locks and climbing walls. He'd solve said situation by sneaking up to the door while the guard's back was turned and silently picking the lock.
Also, I need some help with this theif with the coin spell.  How do I get past him?
Unless you're a thief, don't enter the alley at night. If you are, identify yourself as a thief and they won't rob you. (the first time)

What class to pick depends on your personal preference and whether you like the battle system. For a starter, the fighter is generally considered a good choice because you start the game very weak and the fighter takes the least amount of time to build up from weak to decently strong.

I suggest putting points in the following stats:

- Strength: Useful for everyone, but mostly for the fighter. More strength means you have more hit points, can carry more items and do more damage with weapon strikes or physical projectiles.

- Agility: Useful for everyone, but mostly for the thief. More agility means you have more stamina points and less chance to get hit in combat. (even if you aren't dodging at that time) It also slightly ups your accuracy in combat.

- Vitality: Useful for everyone, but mostly for the fighter. More vitality means getting a quite a lot more hit points and stamina points.

- Weapon use: Improves your strike accuracy in combat. Especially in the original, this is good to have a boost in early on because if you'll die if lots of your strikes miss the opponent.

- Lock picking: When this stat reaches 40, you can simply pick your nose to raise it very quickly. Before then, raising it involves risky illegal activities (there's one safe spot in the forest though), so an initial boost in these is never a bad idea.

- Magic: Vital for the magic user. You'll start out with very few magic points and casting only a few spells will already deplete your mana supply. Mana potions are expensive in this game, especially in the beginning. More magic skill means more magic points.

I suggest not putting points in the following stats:

- Intelligence: The magic stat has a more siginificant influence on your magic points and in combat, agility, strength and weapon use all play superior roles to this stat.

- Luck: It helps skill-based puzzles to be completed faster, but other than that it's not the most reliable stat in the game.

- Parry/Dodge: Provided you have a stamina potion and enough hit points to survive at least a few mild whacks, all you need to do in the game to get these high very quickly is seek out a goblin and keep dodging/parrying (without attacking) until your stamina runs low, then escape combat. No need to up them at the start.

- Stealth: There's little risk involved in raising this stat, so don't bother raising it at the start.

- Throwing/climbing: There's no risk involved in practicing these in the game and you may find yourself practicing these to kill time on occasion, so don't bother raising them at the start.

Some general guidelines:

- Map out the forest. It's easy to get lost if you don't know where you're going.

- Sleep 1 night at the inn if you want the points, then spend the rest of your time eating and sleeping at Erana's Peace. It's the best place for both activities by far.

- Goblins are good training for beginners. Avoid everything else and try to avoid walking in the forest at night until you're stronger.

- The healer who lives outside of town is a good source of money at the start. Provide her with the first 2 spell components she's buying (you'll find the second pair later on, or rather...they'll find you, along with their owner) and complete her ring quest. Also, work at the stable each day.

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Def Zeppelin » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:40 pm

Wow, that was pretty damn helpful, thank you.  

Btw, I chose to be a thief, because not many games integrate them well.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#4 Post by Vildern » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:55 pm

Great timing, guys. I was just about to play QFG3. It helped me refresh my QFG database :)

The Guy
Knight Status

Re: QFG -Game Help.-

#5 Post by The Guy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:47 pm

Yeah, in my opinion the thief is a good choice.  Always get this thrill from sneaking around into places and liberating people's possessions, hehe.  Also from what I remember reading/hearing the thief is also the more difficult of the choices for class selection.  I could be wrong on that since I never really had too difficult a time using the thief.  Damn Erpy, you seem to be the Quest For Glory guru around here.  That's quite a bit of useful writing there.

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Def Zeppelin » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:53 pm

I wanted to try something different, every other game has fighter and magic user, same ole' boring caca.

Btw, is it me or doesn't your character remind you of Samwise Gamgee.

The Guy
Knight Status

#7 Post by The Guy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:04 pm

lol  How so do you mean?  Samwise Gamgee is a hobbit of nothing but good intentions.  Do you mean the way the character himself looks in the Quest For Glory game(s)?  Also, if you like playing as a thief character, there is a game series called Thief.  It has 3 games in the series to it.  I haven't played any of them, but hope to at some point to see how they are.  Here is a direct link for the latest game Thief: Deadly Shadows if you want to read more about it.

http://www.eidosinteractive.com/games/i ... l?gmid=141

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:20 pm

The reason the thief is generally considered more difficult than the fighter/mage is because his lack of sword/shield and attacking spells, which make him less effective in combat. Daggers can be effective, but they only make a difference if you have high strength. (which isn't the thief's main focus) Of course, since the thief only needs to fight the ogre in the game (not even that if you're playing the remake and you run past him), you can beat the game with the thief without worrying about his less powerful combat abilities.

This is compromised, however, by the ability to get a large amount of money without lots of effort and buying plenty of potions and daggers. An annoying thing in QFG1EGA is the fact you need to turn your stealth mode on and off in order to practice it...rather than simply sneak around.

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Def Zeppelin » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:50 pm

I have heard of that game, it looks fun.

As for the character: You don't see it?  The character looks to be a pleasantly plump fellow, has short curly hair, and wears practically the same clothing.  Only major difference is the height.  Whenever I run in the game, I picture him saving Frodo's ass.

The Guy
Knight Status

#10 Post by The Guy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:19 am

Def Zeppelin wrote:You don't see it?  The character looks to be a pleasantly plump fellow, has short curly hair, and wears practically the same clothing.  Only major difference is the height.
lol Ok, maybe there is something of a resemblence there.  Aside from the height difference as you pointed out.
Erpy wrote:The reason the thief is generally considered more difficult than the fighter/mage is because his lack of sword/shield and attacking spells, which make him less effective in combat. Daggers can be effective, but they only make a difference if you have high strength. (which isn't the thief's main focus) Of course, since the thief only needs to fight the ogre in the game (not even that if you're playing the remake and you run past him), you can beat the game with the thief without worrying about his less powerful combat abilities.
I always like fighting as the thief.  It could be troublesome at times since he has such a short reach using only a dagger.  Unfortunately fighting the ogre was a big pain in the butt.  Alot of dying and having to reload.  Or sometimes I would run out of stamina and collapsed instead.  So it eventually got to me just running by the ogre as you mentioned above.
Erpy wrote:An annoying thing in QFG1EGA is the fact you need to turn your stealth mode on and off in order to practice it...rather than simply sneak around.
I never did play the EGA version of Quest For Glory.  I do have it on my Anthology cd, just never checked it out.  Is there anything really different in it aside from graphics?  Should I even bother to play it in EGA or just stick with playing it as the VGA version?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#11 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:38 am

Famous last words:
If you enjoyed playing the VGA remake, please play the original EGA version by Sierra Online
;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:43 pm

You can cheap out on the ogre by tossing stuff at him from a distance and running away when he gets too close. Although you'll lose your daggers if you leave the screen.

A few differences between EGA and VGA are:

- Parser in EGA, point & click in VGA. Duh...

- Troll cave screen was removed in the VGA version for unknown reasons.

- You can kill the kobold by tossing daggers at him in the EGA version.

- Battle system is different. I didn't care much for the EGA version's fighting system...I loved the VGA system's battles.

- You can only give 3 pairs of flowers to the healer in the EGA version vs. unlimited (I think) in the VGA.

- The weapon master isn't near to impossible to beat in the EGA version.

- A few easter eggs are different...such as a sub in the EGA instead of nessie/delphineus in the VGA version.

- VGA version used to have timer bugs...but Newrisingsun's patch cures them.

- VGA version has the odd color bug.

- The amount of money you get from stealing is different in both versions.

That's all I can think of for now.

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by Jenkins Loo » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:54 pm

Erpy wrote:You can only give 3 pairs of flowers to the healer in the EGA version vs. unlimited (I think) in the VGA.
In the VGA, the healer says she have enough but she still pays you for them.

Also, the thieves' guild license you bought in the first QFG was useless for QFG2 but if you paid for a chainmail armor, you still have it in the second episode.

I'm not sure if Ferrari and "Chief" were supposed to be related or if showing the license allows you special thing...

The Guy
Knight Status

#14 Post by The Guy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:17 pm

navynuke04 wrote:Famous last words:
If you enjoyed playing the VGA remake, please play the original EGA version by Sierra Online
;)
Famous last words huh?   Hmmmm ok then, I'll install the EGA version of it then.  It gives me an option to install it with either CGA or EGA graphics.  I take it the EGA is better then CGA just as VGA is better the EGA?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#15 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:26 pm

Yup Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA) is better than Color Graphics Adapter (CGA) and Video Graphics Array (VGA) is better than both of them.

Then you have SVGA etc etc...

The Guy
Knight Status

#16 Post by The Guy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:45 pm

lol ok, I get your point on that.  Unfortunately my Anthology cd is giving me problems now.  I open up Dosbox and do everything necessary for that, but when I go to use the INSTALL.EXE, it only allows me to do limited commands.  Such as, when it 1st loads up, it asks what language you want to install the game in.  E for English, F for French, G for German, and X to quit the install.  Well for some reason I can only press E.  I can't even use the X button to quit, I just don't get it.  And then after I do press E, it goes to the screen where you are supposed to be able to decide which game you want to install.  The selections are A-J for the first 4 games, just some options are for other language versions of QFG3 & QFG4.  To install the QFG1EGA version I'm supposed to press the A key.  Well that doesn't work and neither do any of the other  keys.  The only one that does work is the E key again, which is supposed to install the QFG3 French version of the game, instead it says it's going to install the QFG1EGA game and then just stops there.  Really, really, really, strange.  What to do, what to do?

The Guy
Knight Status

#17 Post by The Guy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:58 pm

I'm a dummy.  Nevermind that last post.  I figured a different way to do it.  I just made a new folder and copy and pasted the files from the Anthology cd into that folder and it seems to have worked.  Looks like I'm going to have to do this with QFG2 and QFG3 as well.  The only game I can actually install off of the cd is QFG4.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#18 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:23 pm

Yea for some reason when you run the install.exe or install.bat from the CD it thinks you want to install it there, which is a read only medium (the CD) so it doesnt give the option to install.