ScummVM AGI Sound Support Improved

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

ScummVM AGI Sound Support Improved

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:46 pm

So months and months ago I submitted a bug report about ScummVM's horrid sound emulation and today I finally hear something of it. Here's the whole email:
Category: Audio
Group: None
>Status: Closed
>Resolution: Fixed
Priority: 5
Private: No
Submitted By: Brandon Blume (musiclyinspired)
>Assigned to: Eugene Sandulenko (sev)
Summary: AGI: Proper Tandy 3-Voice/IBM PCjr Sound Support

Initial Comment:
Currently, the sound support in AGI plays back the 3-channel sound resources plus the white noise but it sounds awful (perhaps because the Sarien interpreter was originally meant to imitate the Amiga?). The voices sound very Amiga-like (sort of like a bad electric piano Casio keyboard sound) and the white noise is just a bland hiss without pitch-shifting capabilities. Since ScummVM currently has the ability to produce proper IBM PCjr sound for SCUMM games would it be difficult to move the same capabilities over to the AGI engine as well? NAGI (another AGI interpreter) and DOSBox (when machine type is set to "tandy") both produce the proper sound if reference is needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

>Comment By: Eugene Sandulenko (sev)
Date: 2010-06-15 19:23

Implemented in SVN. Now it is default mode for DOS games. Old emulator is
left for Amiga and Atari.
Rejoice! AGI emulation in ScummVM is now practically perfect! I've tried it and it works perfectly. I will now probably use ScummVM exclusively for all my AGI games :).

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: ScummVM AGI Sound Support Improved

#2 Post by DrJones » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Gamers rejoice!

Now, if only I had time to play games. :cry

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by pbpb33 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:45 am

Does this mean we don't have to use DOSBox anymore to play games? Will ScummVM play games with the MT-32 the same as DOSBox?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:10 pm

I said AGI sound support. AGI games (KQ1, KQ2, KQ3, SQ1, SQ2, PQ1, LSL1, Gold Rush, Black Cauldron, etc) were way before the MT-32 games. Way before sound cards, actually. ScummVM does have SCI support now, but it's still a work in progress and not near finished yet.

But yes, ScummVM does work with the MT-32 just as well as DOSBox does.