Questions about Vivendi

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

joel_reed
Peasant Status

Questions about Vivendi

#1 Post by joel_reed » Mon May 15, 2006 6:28 am

Has anone heard of any recient developments with Vivendi's upcoming releases? (Compilations) The last thing I saw on amazon was that the release date was moved to December 2006, but it's still difficult to tell whether these will be VGA remakes or just re-releases of the old games. Sorry if this is turns out to be a double post ... but I figured it needed to be brought into the light again if anyone knows something from behind the scenes!

JMR

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Mon May 15, 2006 6:39 am

I would assume they are just re-releases.

I couldnt see Vivendi doing all that work to remake each game.

So its a fair bet they'll just be re-released and compatible with XP and most likely Vista.

joel_reed
Peasant Status

#3 Post by joel_reed » Mon May 15, 2006 7:33 am

As much as I don't want to admit it, your probably right!  :\

joel_reed
Peasant Status

#4 Post by joel_reed » Mon May 15, 2006 11:20 pm

I've just recieved bad news from Vivendi via email a few minutes ago. They told me that the release of the Sierra compilations has been officially called off. This still makes me wonder why it's listed on Amazon for December 31, 2006, but as far as they're concerned it's not going to happen. I guess that doesn't come as a complete surprise, but it's still a bit of a dissapointment.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#5 Post by Vroomfondel » Tue May 16, 2006 2:03 am

I'm not in the least surprised by this news. But you wouldn't happen to have a copy of the e-mail they sent? I'd like to see it.

joel_reed
Peasant Status

#6 Post by joel_reed » Tue May 16, 2006 3:51 am

Sure do ... here it is ...

Hello Joel,

Thank you for contacting Vivendi Universal Games Technical Support. My name is Tharun.

The product support lifecycle for the game that you are referring to has come to an end and is no longer supported by Vivendi. For a complete list of the actively supported games please visit the following website:

http://support2.vugames.com/vug/answer.aspx?ID=6467

For other Vivendi Universal Games products, you may access the technical support knowledge base at  http://support.vugames.com. You may also refer to the Vivendi Universal Games community forums at http://www.vugames.com/forum.do as an additional means of support.

Thank you for your understanding and continuing support.
Regards,

Tharun
Vivendi Universal Games Technical Support

Here's the Origional Message I sent:

I was wondering what was happening regarding your Kings Quest, Space Quest, and Police Quest Compilations in relation to release dates and product information. I noticed this offers release date was pushed back until late 2006 from August 2005, and was wondering what the reasons might be? Will these games be remade into enhanced VGA graphics, or are they simply Windows compatible versions of the old ones? I'm certain the gamers who are interested in these compilations would be extremely greatful to Vivendi for renewing our childhood memories in this way. If you could please share what information you have available regarding these games, it would be much appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Joel Michel Reed

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by Pidgeot » Tue May 16, 2006 5:59 am

Sounds to me like they're referring to the original releases of the games. If you sent it to Tech Support, as their response seems to indicate, it's only logical that this is what you'd get for a reply, as they're not meant to deal with games that aren't out yet (since there's not a whole lot of supporting that can be done).

joel_reed
Peasant Status

#8 Post by joel_reed » Tue May 16, 2006 9:06 am

This email was actually sent to the tech support/customer service section of the page, so I'm sure it went through the right channels for such a responce. They don't seem to make it clear that it's the old games they're talking about, but I made it quite clear in my statement that the new release was what I was refering too. (Which only leaves one reasonable conclusion to their responce)

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Pidgeot » Tue May 16, 2006 12:57 pm

Even so, they say they no longer support the products. That means they must have supported it at one time, but that's impossible, since they are yet to be released.

And FWIW, companies don't always pay that much attention to e-mails. I once contacted Nintnedo of America to hear about the American release date of NES, and all I got back was an e-mail stating they only provided support for US and Canada, and that I should ask my local distributor, Bergsala.

They *did* provide the information (and apologized) when I pointed out to them that Bergsala did not (and should not) know about the American release, and I re-iterated that I was asking directly for information on America - thus, their refusal to answer the question, implied that I would have to get an American person to ask.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#10 Post by Angelus3K » Wed May 17, 2006 6:33 am

Yea it sounds as though they have mistaken you for asking information about the original KQ which they no longer support.

joel_reed
Peasant Status

#11 Post by joel_reed » Fri May 19, 2006 2:35 am

I sent another email to Vivendi a few days ago with more specific questions regarding these games, and here's the reply I got;

Hello,

Thank you for writing back.

Regarding this issue, I would like to inform you that, the games that you are referring is no longer supported by Vivendi. The reason been it is a very old game. However, there are some retail shops, who still have the stocks and they sell it.

For more information on the latest game to be released, please visit the following web site http://vugames.com/coming_soon.do.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us. We will be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Tharun

-----Original Message-----
Date:   Wednesday, May 17, 2006  06:43 AM
To:   VUGames (csvu@vugames.com)
Subject:  RE: Questions Regarding Quest Compliations

I'm curious to know what was meant in your last email refering to the Sierra Compilations as no longer being supported by Vivendi, due to the fact that there appears to be items on www.amazon.com marked "Kings Quest Compilation", "Space Quest Compilation", "Police Quest Compilation", and "Leisure Suit Larry Compilation" due to be released on December 31, 2006. (Refer to link below)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=br_ ... .y=0&Go=Go

These items we're previously said to be released in late 2005 as well as March 2006, but the dates were eventually pushed back for whatever reason at the time. As a long time fan of these games I would be interested to know if Vivendi is still planning on re-releasing these games at the date listed in the link above. (Or are they no longer in 'Production')

I appreciate your time, and once again look forward to your responce!

Joel Michel Reed

VUGames <tsvu@vugames.com> wrote:

Hello Joel,

Thank you for contacting Vivendi Universal Games Technical Support. My name is Tharun.

The product support lifecycle for the game that you are referring to has come to an end and is no longer supported by Vivendi. For a complete list of the actively supported games please visit the following website:

http://support2.vugames.com/vug/answer.aspx?ID=6467

For other Vivendi Universal Games products, you may access the technical support knowledge base at  http://support.vugames.com. You may also refer to the Vivendi Universal Games community forums at http://www.vugames.com/forum.do as an additional means of support.

Thank you for your understanding and continuing support.
   Regards,

Tharun

-----Original Message-----
   Date:   Monday, May 15, 2006  03:04 AM
   To:   VU (csvu@vugames.com)
   Subject:  Questions Regarding Quest Compliations

I was wondering what was happening regarding your Kings Quest, Space Quest, and Police Quest Compilations in relation to release dates and product information. I noticed this offers release date was pushed back until late 2006 from August 2005, and was wondering what the reasons might be? Will these games be remade into enhanced VGA graphics, or are they simply Windows compatible versions of the old ones? I'm certain the gamers who are interested in these compilations would be extremely greatful to Vivendi for renewing our childhood memories in this way. If you could please share what information you have available regarding these games, it would be much appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Joel Michel Reed  

You might as well draw your own conclusion from that, but as far as I know it these games aren't going to happen ... but let's hope I'm wrong!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#12 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri May 19, 2006 5:18 am

The technical guys are giving you standard 'scripted' emails, most likely because they are not kept in the loop. As far as we've been able to determine, the collections are still scheduled for release.

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Fri May 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Yeah, nowhere in there does it say anything about the re-releases at all.

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Alistair » Sat May 20, 2006 1:57 pm

Yay, more non information regarding the Vivendi "rereleases".

- Alistair

seeker of rain
Peasant Status

#15 Post by seeker of rain » Sun May 21, 2006 10:54 pm

or Tharun is actually a not very *smart* bot  :lol

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#16 Post by navynuke04 » Tue May 23, 2006 11:25 pm

Our contacts within Vivendi have told us that the compilations are still on schedule to be released later this year.

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by moonlit » Wed May 24, 2006 8:35 pm