Slowing Down Return to Zork

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

El Llano
Peasant Status

Slowing Down Return to Zork

#1 Post by El Llano » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:51 am

I recently found my old Return to Zork cd, but when I tried to play it, my new computer ran way to fast and all the movies flew by.  None of the dialogue could be heard and the game is impossible to play.  Does anyone know how to slow the game down so it is actually playable?

Lambonius
Knight Status

#2 Post by Lambonius » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:28 am

there are two methods that might work for you.  the first one to try would probably be running the game in dosbox (a program which emulates a dos environment and allows old dos-based games to run on newer systems), if indeed you have the dos version of the game (I'm not sure if there was a windows version, come to think of it.)  You can definitely google dosbox to find the link to download it.  There are also a number of slowdown programs available which can manipulate your cpu's clock speed, thus rendering previously unplayable games playable.  I don't know any specific names, but again, a google search for cpu slowdown programs would probably help.  I'm also pretty sure there are others here who can suggest some to you.  Good luck!

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by maestro » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:29 pm

Try Mo'Slo.