QFG 4 / Return of Error 47

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

QFG 4 / Return of Error 47

#1 Post by ulmont » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:35 pm

I have the anthology collection (QFG4 CD English version and German DOS version).  I got the timing fixes, which are referenced in the patch section of the resource.cfg, so I believe are being used (also, I don't seem to have lightning fast combat-stamina growth or wraiths killing me instantly).

However, I am getting an Error 47 when getting the plant from the goo.

It seems like there are a few possible options:

1. Is there any legitimate way to get the English DOS version of QFG4, so that I can use DOSBox?
2. Is there any way to hack my German version into an English version?
3. Is there a save game editor I could use to get me past the plant bit?
4. Any newer (turbo?) fixes for Error 47?
5. Any other ideas?

-Richard Campbell.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:02 pm

However, I am getting an Error 47 when getting the plant from the goo.

It seems like there are a few possible options:

1. Is there any legitimate way to get the English DOS version of QFG4, so that I can use DOSBox?
The only way to get a legitimate copy is to buy one on eBay, I'm afraid. And there's not much guarantee that it's not going to crash there either.
2. Is there any way to hack my German version into an English version?
No. The german version's game file simply contains german text instead of english.
3. Is there a save game editor I could use to get me past the plant bit?
Well, you could give yourself the bush. But the bonzai bush quest is optional to begin with.
4. Any newer (turbo?) fixes for Error 47?
The one you should have is found here.
5. Any other ideas?
If you have the right skills, try using alternative ways to get it. If you have magic, use forcebolt and fetch. You can also try to use your grappling hook from above. Set the speed all the way up. That sort of experimentation was used before the unoffical patches were released.

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by ulmont » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:19 pm

Erpy wrote:The only way to get a legitimate copy is to buy one on eBay, I'm afraid. And there's not much guarantee that it's not going to crash there either.
Ok.  EBay watch begun.  I think with DOSBox I can slow it down to work.
Well, you could give yourself the bush. But the bonzai bush quest is optional to begin with.
Is there a hex editing guide or an editor?  And I thought the bush was mandatory for the Leshy, which was mandatory for something else?
The one you should have is found here.
That's the one I have.
If you have the right skills, try using alternative ways to get it. If you have magic, use forcebolt and fetch.
I should have magic, but the import has messed it up.  I have Open, with a skill of 23802, but only a few other spells (flame dart, dazzle, trigger, detect magic, calm...but not forcebolt or fetch).  I may reimport as a wizard.
You can also try to use your grappling hook from above.
I'll give that a shot.
Set the speed all the way up.
Tried that (and turned detail all the way down.

-Richard Campbell.

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by ulmont » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:48 pm

Rope and Grapnel worked - thanks!

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by ulmont » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:52 pm

Reimporting as a wizard *mostly* fixes my spells, but leaves the open skill at 23902 and leaves me the paladin ability to heal.

I think QFG4 needs a remake just to fix the bugs.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:10 pm

I don't think anybody will waste a year or two on remaking a game that's already VGA.

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by ulmont » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:23 pm

Erpy wrote:I don't think anybody will waste a year or two on remaking a game that's already VGA.
Please don't kill my dreams.  :)

It seems like there should be a way to extract the data and then use it in a more modern interpreter, though.

-Richard Campbell.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Perhaps, but the errors you're running into aren't interpretor errors, they're script errors and will pop up in any interpretor.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#9 Post by Kloreep » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:09 pm

BTW, if your QFG4CD is like mine it does have the English DOS version on it, you just can't install it from the windows installer. (Which doesn't work anymore for me on my newest comp anyway...)

I believe there is a DOS install prog for it on the root directory of the anthology CD. I can't remember the name, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. :) And if you're using DOSBOX to play it, I highly recommend copying QFG4's half-gig audio file to your hard drive and mounting its directory as your CD drive in DOSBox; no more waiting for the audio as the CD stops and starts. :)[/code]