Rant: Wages of War

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

NightSpawn
Peasant Status

You Know What I'd Like To See?

#26 Post by NightSpawn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:49 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like most of the amatuer remakes I've seen out there for games.  I would love to see the QFG series get completely remade by the Coles.  Not one or two games, not necessarily in EGA or VGA format.  I mean, technology has come so far, I would love to see these games remade with the stuff we've got today.  I think some of them would be phenomenal.  Since the world of Spielburg wasn't too big, I could see that being remade in a completely 3-D world.  Then again, I know nothing about programming and what now, so maybe I am not the best judge for this particular subject.

Has anyone out there play Legend of Zelda.  That's the kind of 3-D I'm talking.  Where the character is completely visible as you go about doing your thing.  I mean, I would love to be able to play QFG like that.  I don't suspect that you could do that for every scene, but damn, it would be awesome to see.  Ah well, it was a thought.

Neurotically Yours,
NightSpawn

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by Jontas » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:42 pm

You might want to check out Re-Quest for Glory, they're trying to remake the QFG world (Starting with Spielburg) using Morrowind's TES construction kit. The first drawback is that you would need to own Morrowind in order to play it, the second drawback is that they seem to be making no progress at all presently. At least you could exchange some ideas on ther forums or something.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Other choices

#28 Post by Brainiac » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:12 am

There's also QfG1 Redux for Neverwinter Nights here and a project Thepal was working on that was cancelled due to the action against The Silver Lining.  Maybe he'll pick it up again now...

jayjech
Peasant Status

#29 Post by jayjech » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:40 am

I'm not convinced that the reason we don't oppose QFG3's existence is because we're all hardcore QFG fans.

After QFG2, QFG3 is always a "pain in the butt" for me.  It's just long and tedious, and not much fun.  But it's also a QFG game, so it's "good" in that sense.  I can't hate it; I just don't think it fits as well, nor was it intended to be created - and I think that if we were less fanatical QFG addicts, more people would agree with phats and I.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:25 pm

Well, Leisure Suit Larry was intended to be a trilogy as well, but eventually more were created. QFG was "intended" to be created with different races as player characters. Didn't happen either. Just because the eventual execution differed from the initial draft doesn't mean every deviation wasn't meant to happen and thus, shouldn't be.
It's just long and tedious, and not much fun.
You are entitled to that opinion, but it's still an opinion and a very obvious opinion at that. It's not necessarily long, tedious and no fun, you just find it long, tedious and not fun. I don't have to be a QFG fanatic in order to disagree with you, the only requirement is that my opinion of QFG3 is more positive than yours and that I enjoyed the game more than you did.

So no, I don't agree with your claim more people would agree with you if their QFG-fanatism didn't compell them to defend the game. (contrary to what you claim are their deeper beliefs) It's difficult to imagine if you didn't like the game yourself, but there are people who enjoyed QFG3 because they found it fun, not because their QFG-fanatism compelled them to enjoy it.

haradan
Knight Status

#31 Post by haradan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:04 am

I think the problem with QFG3 is mainly the thief. I enjoy the game when I play with the paladin and with the wizard, but it IS tedious when I play the thief. And I never play with the Fighter, since there's no point, it's exactly the same as the Paladin.

Other than that, if you played the games in order, you had to love the VGA graphics and the african setting was perfect. The music was also lovely, IMHO, and the characters were very well developed, so I don't think it's fair to say that the game should be optional or that only QFG hardcore fans enjoy it, it's a good game on its own and its just a matter of taste, everyone has a favorite and a less favorite in the series (and pointing out the "best" is not easy as well).

As Corey and Lori said, I consider ALL the games to be really a single long game and I always play them in order with a character that starts in Spielburg and ends up in Silmaria. You can't really hate any part of an adventure that big!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Not exactly

#32 Post by Brainiac » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:18 am

haradan wrote:...And I never play with the Fighter, since there's no point, it's exactly the same as the Paladin.
That is a semi-valid point in QfG3, as due to the glitched point system in QfG3, you can get the same points for a Paladin that you can as a Fighter.  However, in QfG4 and QfG5, there are differences between the two classes; minor ones, but still differences.  In general, the games reward direct action on the part of the Fighter (entering the castle by the front gate or slaying the Pit Beast in QfG4, defeating Cerberus in QfG5) while it's better to be peaceful as a Paladin.  In addition, Fighters get points for killing the various monsters while Paladins do not (it's more in tune with their nature to leave them be).  In truth, their is very little the Paladin cannot do that the Fighter can; it's just a matter of not being dependent on Honor.  While Paladins typically have far more interesting sidequests (the Rusalka in QfG4, the Ring of Truth in QfG5), the Fighter still has his own place in the grand scheme of things.

Piotyr
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Piotyr » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:31 pm

The only things I disliked about qfg3 was A:Less humer and B: The combat system. Yeegads the combat system sucked! And after qfg2 which had such great combat! Blarg.

Also qfg5 was great but also lacked in the combat and interface department. Chock that up to the developers not being experienced in 3d.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#34 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:29 pm

5 was when 3d games were brand new things and the fighting in 3 is the same as in 1vga. I can't commment on II though because I haven't played it.

adeyke

#35 Post by adeyke » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:35 am

While the combat systems of QfG3 and QfG1VGA are superficially similar, they're really quite different.  QfG1 had very distinct monsters.  You can't just ignore the brigand's shield, the troll's hammer, or the mantray's dodge; you have to actually adjust your fighting style to the monster.  In QfG3, you could win every fight by just attacking repeatedly.  Graphically, there's also a huge difference.  QfG1 had actual backgrounds for the fights, while QfG3 had some black swirly stuff.  And many of the monsters in QfG3 look like they're made of several separate body parts instead of being just a whole monster.  And, of course, it has the annoying "feature" that when you attack while already in an attack animation, the first attack is canceled, so if you attack too quickly, you end up not doing any damage at all.  And because the life drains gradually, you have no way of knowing how much damage you're actually dealing, and even if you one-hit-kill a monster, it still takes a long time to actually die.  So no, QfG3's combat system isn't the same as that of QfG1VGA.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#36 Post by AGP » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:17 am

Phats, we know for a fact that the bugs you mentioned are scripting bugs because someone has already posted new scripts that fix them on the internet. Look it up.