Getting "waveOutUnprepareHeader1" in QFG4

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

jpnuar1
Knight Status

Getting "waveOutUnprepareHeader1" in QFG4

#1 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:32 am

Edit#3: Apparenly editing this in one forum now changes the thread in the other one as well, so here's my problem again. Sorry for all the trouble people...

I'm attempting again to play through Shadows of Darkness (Windows version from the Anthology CD, with voices turned off), and it's going well for the most part (with turbo running at 20, game in 256 colors and windows 95 compatibility, etc.), but at more or less random (to my eyes at least) stimuli, several windows bearing a header of waveOutUnprepareHeader1 pop up all with the same message: "An invalid parameter was passed to a system function.", after I click them all (er, hold enter, if that makes any difference), the background music stops playing, and several new error windows pop up, one at a time this time. They alternate between headers of "waveOutClose" and "waveOutUnprepareHeader2", with all the error messages saying "The specified device handle is invalid." after clicking through a few waves of that, the game proceeds normally (I think), except that the music no longer plays, forcing me to restart the whole application if I want to hear it.

Does anyone have any advice on what may be causing this, and/or how I can avoid getting this kind of bug in the future?

Edit #2 (since the first has somehow vanished): Wierd, when I first posted this, I thought it was my fault that it was in this forum instead of Technical & Bugs... So I edited this down to an apology/deletion request for the mispost, and reposted in the apropriate forum. Now when I checked back again, this post was back to its full original text, and my new one in the T&B forum had vanished, while a mod had either moved or forwarded this newly regenerated one to the appropriate forum...

Something funny is either going on with my computer or the forums...... Any reccomendations for a decent free virus scanner out there?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:25 am

Have you tried using VDMSound or DosBox?

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#3 Post by Boogeyman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:14 am

I have the Windows version running pretty well, something strange must be going on with jpnuar1's computer.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#4 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:53 am

Angelus3K wrote:Have you tried using VDMSound or DosBox?
Well, it's the windows version, so it won't run in Dos (or DosBox). A quick google of VDMSound appears to list it as sound support for dos games, but I'll try it anyway... Thanks for your help!
Edit: Well, I tried that, but when I tried to run it with VDMSound, I got a "Windows title not found" error...
Last edited by jpnuar1 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#5 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:09 am

The best solution although a little technical is what I do.

Use VMWare to emulate an x86 PC and then install either Windows 3.1 or Win95 on it then you can run QFG natively under that.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#6 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:17 am

Hmm, that could work... Thanks!

Are those versions of windows available for free though?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#7 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:46 am

I'm not sure. I still had my original 3.1 floppies lol

As Microsoft don't even support Win 3.1/95/98 anymore I'm not sure you'd even need a vaild license for it.