Finally

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

arganite
Royal Servant Status

Finally

#1 Post by arganite » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:28 am

After much effort, I finally managed to defeat all the Quest for Glory games :)

Quest for Glory 5 was the most challenging, the actual game play wasn't that great and the Dragon of Doom was too difficult :( (Mostly because I had to switch compatibility modes, because running under XP it crashed when the dragon breathed fire, and running under compatibility for 95 it crashed for the cut scene of the dragon flying back in defeat). Sadly I couldn't keep Gort and Toro alive. Gort really touched me, he just wanted to be a hero :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:41 pm

grats buddy, I'm still working on it but waiting for II and a new copy of 5 before I can. Toro's loss didn't touch you? he's been around since you conquer the brigands in QFG1.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#3 Post by Vroomfondel » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:26 pm

I hated Torro in 5. He wasn't stupid in 1.

-Vroom

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by arganite » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:29 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:grats buddy, I'm still working on it but waiting for II and a new copy of 5 before I can. Toro's loss didn't touch you? he's been around since you conquer the brigands in QFG1.
Isn't he the one you wipe the floor with outside the Brigand's fortress :lol:

I didn't really care about him because of his annoying dialogue. Gort just tried so hard :)

I also advise patching each game before play. Definitely patch each game before play. Also, if you are having problems getting QFG5 to run, right click and set it to run in compatibility mode for win95.

And for all the games before that, right click the exe file and click run with VDMS. That allows you to have sound through the speakers.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#5 Post by Kurdt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:48 am

VDMS lags on voices way too much. DOSBox all the way.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:36 am

VDMS also slows down MIDI playback. Not a good point in my book. DOSBox all the way vote seconded.

Also, does nobody know of the WinXP patches for QFG5? I had no problems with the game with them. Of course I never played through it either.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:04 am

most errors occur in the Dragon of Doom fight. I never knew about the midi thing, with Dosbox though I have problem with voices in QFGIV as it is I can either play the game with stuttering or with no voice at all.

MusicallyInspired

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:43 am

I got it working fine. Did you up and/or down the cpu cycles?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:50 am

haven't tried just yet but I think upping it to 6K should do the trick More on that later.

MusicallyInspired

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:54 am

I usually run SCI32 games like QFG4 at 16k or around there. They run much better. SCI1.1 games and under I run at 3k absolutely fine.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#11 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:58 am

just tried at 8K and it's still skipping everything that should be spoken

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#12 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:00 am

tried at 12 with nothing then went higher with no response and got to the point where the music is choppy and still nothing, I also got so low that the game crashes with no voicing either. And yes I do have voices turned on and am clicking spots that do get responses.

MusicallyInspired

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:32 am

Don't know what to tell you then.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#14 Post by Kurdt » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:11 am

You need to mount C:\ as a whole for the path to be correct. I know, DOSBox tells you not to mount C as a whole, but this is one of the times where you must ignore the posted warning and just do it. In your Resource.CFG file, it has a path for where you're supposed to go with the voice file, and if you only mount your QFG4 folder as C:\ then it's going to be all screwed up.

Do this: Copy your Resource.AUD file from your CD (or wherever it is) into your QFG4 folder. Then, open up Resource.CFG in Notepad and change the path for voices to your QFG4 folder. Then, load up DOSBox and mount your entire C drive. Change the directory to QFG4 and voila! You have voices. As for the stuttering problem, I usually have my CPU cycles on 17500 and Frameskip on 0. If your Frameskip is on anything higher than 0 that's probably what's causing the stutter (at least in my experience it is). Good luck!

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by antonyo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:26 am

As for the stuttering problem, I usually have my CPU cycles on 17500 and Frameskip on 0. If your Frameskip is on anything higher than 0 that's probably what's causing the stutter (at least in my experience it is).
In my experience, the ideal CPU cycles vary from one computer to another. It depend of your OS, CPU speed, RAM possibly, if you're in Fullscreen mode or not, and which version of DosBox you're using. Anytime I changed one of those, my ideal CPU cycle changed. I suggest to simply launch a game, go in fullscreen mode (or windowed if you plan to play it in windowed mode), and increase the CPU cycles in increment, until you find your own ideal CPU cycles where the game run smoothly and fast and where the music doesn't get choppy. Just watch out while you do so because the CPU cycle increase by increment of 500 at a time but decrease by increment of several thousands and some dust at a time. Frameskip should be at 0.

As for the speech and speech bubbles problems, either you do as Kurdt said, or if you can't or don't want to go all the troubles, you can always desactivate the speech/sound effects in the installation menu. You won't get speech but at least the speech bubbles will be readable when you look, interract or talk with someone, rather than appear and disappear in a blink when the game cannot find the Ressource.AUD file.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#16 Post by Kurdt » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:14 am

Of course every computer is different, but by giving him the level I keep mine at he'll have a ballpark figure as to where his cycle count is at.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#17 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:28 am

mounted my drive after getting the resources right but I haven't used Dos since I was 4 years old so I'm trying to remember how to get it to run the game, I usually just Copy and paste SIERRA.EXE on Dosbox to run them.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#18 Post by Kurdt » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:47 pm

do exactly this:

Z:\>mount c c:\

Z:\>c:

C:\>cd\sierra\qganth\qg4cd             (Or whatever your directory is for QFG4)

C:\SIERRA\QGANTH\QG4CD>sierra.exe

And then the game will run. Good luck!

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#19 Post by jpnuar1 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:51 pm

Well, that file path definately wouldn't work. The QFG anthology cd has the windows version of QFG4. It wouldn't run in DOS.

MusicallyInspired

#20 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:27 pm

That's not true. I have the QFG Anthology and it has the DOS version as well as the Windows version.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#21 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:37 pm

oh ok, I had no idea to use > but I think I'll get it now. (starting to feel extremely retarded.)

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by arganite » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:31 pm

Just dont use dosbox and use VDMS sound? Heh.

It worked fine on my pc, music went well (Maybe because of the 1.7gig ram - maybe)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#23 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:54 pm

followed you Kurdt, no go. I'm starting to think it's something I did when I copy and pasted into my harddrive. Doesn't matter though, the game is still perfectly playable without voices. As found of them as I am they don't break the game.

MusicallyInspired

#24 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:19 am

What I had to do with SCI32 games like QFG4 was install them first and then copy all the speech and audio files that the game needs into the game folder and rename all the folders in the config file so the game knows where to find them. But I HAD to use the DOS install program first. You can't just copy and paste the game files because it misses things to add in the resource.cfg file that you can't get any other way. Try that and then run in DOSBox.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#25 Post by jpnuar1 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:22 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:That's not true. I have the QFG Anthology and it has the DOS version as well as the Windows version.
Lucky you. My anthology disc only has the German version in DOS...