I need an honest answer about KQC please!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

I need an honest answer about KQC please!

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:36 am

Well I'm trying to convince my dad to buy KQComplitation and he's saying "NO"....................first of all UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And secondly he's says No becuase he thinks that it will destroy the computer. The games we had before were pretty old and a couple of computers we had died becuase of them. Well sort of becuase of them, I believe there were other problems as well. He's convinced these games are computer murderers. I don't want to spend the next couple years THINKING of KQ instead of Playing it! I never got to play kq5 and it looks really good. I miss waking up on Saturday morning and going straight to the computer and playing KQ6 or KQ7. I miss it so much. Why must I suffer? It's not fair really, so I need an honest answer from those who've played the new collection and I need to know, has anything happened to your computers since you installed them? Has it become slow(er)? Has it not been functioning properly? Please tell me! Thank you!  :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:39 am

mine actually died, no joke. however that was from other problems. I have 3 compilations on here right now and the old QFG Anthology and I've had nothing bad so far.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:43 am

They won't hurt the computer. Not to mention that this new compilation is Windows XP compatible so speed issues about the games being so old are not an issue anymore. I have the SQ comp and it ran just fine with no problems to the computer. Your dad knows nothing if he thinks games hurt computers. But I'm sure you're just exagerating.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by FatherGhostface » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:34 am

That's what I thought and I told him, maybe he's still in that phase where he doesn't like to buy things off line. SIGH! Thanks though!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:42 am

What? That's a phase? I thought that was the norm!?? I'd say that not wanting to buy things ONline would be a phase...weird guy, your dad is, to be sure.

Broomie
The Enigma

#6 Post by Broomie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:58 pm

The KQ Collections are not dangerous, and they won't affect your computer. If that were the case than all of the KQ games would be recalled (taken off shelves)

I say, if he doesn't buy it for you than just get the money yourself. If it's 20 dollars, try mowing a few lawns and asking for a dollar 18 times. ;) I'm hoping someone will get that film reference.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by FatherGhostface » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:12 pm

I have money and all, and I told my dad what you all said and he said he'd think about it. Thanks guys!  :D

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Compilations

#8 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:13 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:Not to mention that this new compilation is Windows XP compatible...
Better known as DOSbox. :p

Anyways, like everyone else said, the compilation is vetted for XP, so you shouldn't have any problems.  Of course, if you have old copies and DOSbox already, you may not want to bother buying them except to support the oldies but goodies.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#9 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:05 am

Those games killing a computer??? Wow. Who needs a virus! Too strange.  :p  Sorry, but it's impossible. Only thing that could have happened... no, it is impossible.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#10 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:08 am

If you miss the old days of gaming, be sure to buy a copy of Al Emmo!!

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#11 Post by FatherGhostface » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:00 pm

What's Al Emmo like? I keep hearing about it but never really felt like getting to know it.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#12 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:55 pm

Well check out http://alemmo.com for more info and check out the YouTube trailer HERE!!

It's a fantastic game!

Broomie
The Enigma

#13 Post by Broomie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:56 pm

It is a very good game, and I enjoyed playing it.

The best way of getting it now is probably via Telltale because it's cheaper and very good if you just want the game itself. The box has a few extras with it and the cover art is pretty sweet.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#14 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:17 am

If you want to add the game to you collection instead of just a download I would recommend the boxed copy as 100% of the money goes to the developers but it really depends on what you can afford right now.  :)

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#15 Post by FatherGhostface » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:56 pm

Oh I can aford it, and I practically was on the verge of buying anything on Amazon.com when I got KING'S QUEST COMPLITATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad gave in. But I decided not make it hard on him and let it just KQ that we buy instead of any other games.  :)

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#16 Post by FatherGhostface » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:43 pm

Another Question if you all do not mind....I ordered the 'King's Quest Complitation' last Thursday from Amazon.com, and the email said it would arrive between the 23rd to the 26th. So from your experiences (had you bought anything from Amazon in the past) would you say that Amazon is trust worthy? As in are they true to their word or will the package take longer than expected to arrive? And I do realize that depends on where their shipping it from. I don't know why I ask, maybe it's because I am so incredibly eager to play those games again. I miss waking up on Saturday morning to go on the computer and play KQ6 or some of the AGI/SCI games of KQ. I miss it, and I want it to happen ASAP! So hurry it up Amazon!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#17 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:28 pm

Well 26th is Friday so hopefully you can wake up on Saturday morning and play KQ!!

I'm waiting for the right time to play through all the KQs with Deb, which I can't wait for!!

She hasnt played KQ6 all the way through!

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#18 Post by FatherGhostface » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:25 pm

NEVERMIND! IT CAME! OMG, it's soooooooooooooooo beautiful! I'm going to smell it now................ 8o

Okay now I have another question....I'm playing KQ5 (YAY! Finally) and when I try to Save a game it says the directory can no longer save any games cause the directory is used up............but I never saved any games so how can that be? How come I can't save a game? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!  :)

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by Jontas » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:55 am

I changed the save directiory to something else, just the root I believe, but anyways that worked for me in regards to the same problem. Hope that helps.

- Jon

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#20 Post by FatherGhostface » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:27 pm

Any ideas as to what directory I could change to? Thanks!  :)

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by BrianR » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:17 pm

how much did it cost?

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by Jontas » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:25 pm

BrianR
Kings Quest on Amazon right now:
1. King's Quest Compilation (Windows XP)
Buy new: $18.99    Used & new from $15.99

Incedently they're selling MoE for $17.99 if anybody is interested.

FatherGhostface
Like I said, I saved my games in my root directory, which is just C:. I know that this is not the best place, but I was just lazy I guess. It would be better to create a directory (or subdirectory) called KQSG or something like that and just save your games in there.

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by BrianR » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:36 pm

I am tempted to buy it.  I played the remake of 1 and 2 but I like the quest for glory series MUCH more.  Maybe because of skills and fighting.  Not sure.  Do the games get better in the KQ series?

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#24 Post by Boogeyman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:50 am

Up until KQ7 perhaps. The graphics and music are MUCH better than KQ6, but the villianess isn't quite as good, and whether the overall interface is better is arguable.

KQ8:Mask of Eternity, on the other hand, is a total disgrace to the series.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#25 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:22 pm

BrianR wrote:I played the remake of 1 and 2 but I like the quest for glory series MUCH more.  Maybe because of skills and fighting.
If you like skills and fighting, you might enjoy King's Quest:MOE. It's more or less a first person slasher, where you go around Daventry and other lands killing mosters and collecting better weapons and armor. It defenately doesn't have the KQ feel to it, which is why most KQ people hate it. It's a good game in itself, just doesn't feel like a KQ game.