Seraphim's Final Fantasy thread

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Updates

#26 Post by Brainiac » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:26 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:what about that FFIV remake for DS? Haven't heard about that in awhile
He just mentioned that, dude.  There's been nothing out of SE.
seraphimdreamer777 wrote:So if anyone has any news I don't thats Final Fantasy related post it here oh and if anyone finds out any U.S. release date info on Final Fantasy IV on DS before I do then let me know cause I don't know if I can stand the wait any longer and also if its O.K. I know its asking a lot but could I have a special status on this website like the AGDI Black Mage it would be so cool.
You're not likely to get a title Seraph.  Those go to long-term members with a large number of posts (1000 is the typical minimum).

As to FF news, the company is pretty focused on their multi-release titles right now (Fabula Nova Crystallis and the various Kingdom Hearts games).  THere are rumors flying that FF13 will finally have a playable demo at some point this year (apparently, Tetsuya Nomura said as much to the Japanese press).  Immediately upcoming releases include the FF7 prequel Crisis Core on PSP (3/25) and Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates for the DS (3/11).  As I said, FF4DS remains unannounced for outside Japan as far as I know.  There's also been nothing concrete about the FFCC title on the Wii on either side of the Pacific.
Last edited by Brainiac on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#27 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:20 am

Brainiac when you said she you wern't talkin about me were you cause I'm a man.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Whoops

#28 Post by Brainiac » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:41 pm

Sorry, got you confused with a friend I was IMing at the same time.  My bad - fixed.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#29 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:23 pm

Strait from AGD Interactive's Final Fantasy correspondent seraphimdreamer777. Final Fantasy IV DS has a release date.

I Repeat Final Fantasy IV DS has a release date.

It is 7/08 according to Nintendo Power magazine

Of course as with most remakes it comes with slight change of course fans of that spoony bard Edward will rejoice as he has been made in to a more useful character with the ability to use any recovery item on all characters Cecil has unfortunately lost his Dark Wave ability but now has Dark Knight skills from FF III Dark Knight class but on the plus side he has more white magic as a paladin.and Rosa's Pray ability works more often and a new summon/mini game has been added it can be used also in wireless Pokemon style battles and finally Porom will have a better cry ability that lowers monsters attack points. So i don't know about you guys but I'm definitely getting this game when it comes out.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#30 Post by greensenshi » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:02 pm

I assume that it's been done in the same style as FF3 for the DS?

As I played through it, I found I really did enjoy how they did FF3.  I suppose I will buy 4 DS, though it's not one of my favorites.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#31 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:11 pm

On the subject of FF, I'm totally loving Crisis Core at the moment, it has so much spirit from FF7 and the live action battle system similar to Kingdom Hearts is just wonderful and the battle reel makes even the most mundane grinding sessions fun as the fruit machine like reels give you random power up like No MP Cost and spits out Limit Breaks to use which are cool!

I've just realised aswell, its crazy how different the "Nintendo" style FFs are to the "Playstation" FFs but they're all both amazing and as good as each other lol!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#32 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:38 pm

The story in crisis core is lacking though, it was written pretty much to carry the title name. I admit it's fun to see Cloud when he's a wuss though.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Crisis

#33 Post by Brainiac » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:41 pm

In general, Crisis Core isn't about story as much as it is about character and the development of character that happens over time.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#34 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Yea I mean the story can't really overshadow what FF7 is about but provides amazing back story to the characters, locations and experiances in FF7.

Even though Zack is on the same side (SOLDIER) I still don't trust Sephiroth one bit when we're in the same room lol!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#35 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:52 pm

I just experienced a 2 minute loading time on my PSP. both the system and game are less than a week old. It wasn't even for a pre rendered cutscene it was just [spoiler]Going up an elavator to see Hollander.[/spoiler] Should I be worried?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#36 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 am

I'm not sure what the loading times in CC are supposed to be, I just ripped my UMD to the Memory Stick to avoid any load times so everything loads within 2 seconds or less for me.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#37 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:07 pm

the load times usually aren't very noticeably for me, I thought my system had crashed. Is it legal to put the game on your memory card though?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#38 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Your legally allowed to backup software you have purchased.

What does Square-Enix care if I burn it, rip to MS or smash it up. I paid for it lol!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#39 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:33 am

well I know if you buy a cd it's illegal to rip it and put it on your Ipod, something about format converting. Not that you'll ever be caught for it I was just wondering if it was ilegal. Copy right laws in Canada are whack right now. I'm thinking I can fit my only two games onto the memory stick but I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Do you need the older PSP? I know you've crakced yours and put things like ScummVM which I can't do with mine because the firmware is different.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Date

#40 Post by Brainiac » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:14 am

Further clarification on the FF4DS release - July 22nd, 2008.

All hail the return of Cecil...and pray Zeromus isn't made harder.  <shudder>

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#41 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:41 am

I know I haven't posted for a while about anything but I've been hearing a lot about Final Fantasy XIII might have the same style game play as Kingdom Hearts and Wii is going to have the next installment of Final Fantasy Fables also known as Chocobo's Dungeon.

By the way I was wondering about Final Fantasy V and VI should there be a 3d remake of these two games and what system should it be on

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Info updates

#42 Post by Brainiac » Sat May 31, 2008 12:15 am

seraphimdreamer777 wrote:I know I haven't posted for a while about anything but I've been hearing a lot about Final Fantasy XIII might have the same style game play as Kingdom Hearts and Wii is going to have the next installment of Final Fantasy Fables also known as Chocobo's Dungeon.

By the way I was wondering about Final Fantasy V and VI should there be a 3d remake of these two games and what system should it be on
FF Versus XIII is supposed to be close to KH since it's being developed by the same team; I don't think FF13 proper is supposed to be KH-esque.

I saw info on the upcoming Chocobo game in the latest EGM.  A Dark Knight chocobo just makes me laugh.

As far as 3D versions of FF5 and FF6, I don't know what the plans are in that regard.  At the moment, Square-Enix is dealing with the updated Zenithia Trilogy on the DS (that would be Dragon Quest IV - VI).

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#43 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:03 am

Well as I put in another thread I'm getting Dirge of Cerberus. So I thought it might be cool to talk about FF sequels so far what is everyones favorite FF sequel or prequel. Mine is the least known to most people and it is Final Fantasy V Legend of the Crystals it was an awesome anime also what if you could choose the next FF sequel or prequel what would it be based upon I'd say I'd like to see a prequel of FF VI about Shadow so let me know what Y'all think is your favorite Prequel or sequel and what game you would like to see a Prequel or Sequel of.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#44 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:51 pm

To Brainiac: I was under the impression that FFIV was being made on DS because the GBA port was dissapointing, personally I wouldn't buy FFVI for a 4th time even if it is my favorite in the series.

To Seraphim: I saw Dirge of Cerberus for 25 bucks today at EB so it's not as rare as I had thought. Atleast not yet. As far as the whole prequel/sequel/spinoff thing goes I would have to say I hated X-2, haven't played Dirge ofcerberus, thought the VII movie was kinda "meh" and was a bit dissapointed with Crisis Core at times. Actually now that I think about it IV VI and X are the only ones inteh series I genuinely like all the time. As soon as I refinish X though I'm going to get back into XII, that one had potential.

CrazyStalker
Peasant Status

#45 Post by CrazyStalker » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:53 am

I really hope they don't do a FFVI remake in this style. I can live on without FFIVDS but I know I'll absolutely have to buy FFVIDS.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#46 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:26 am

Well as far as IV goes I can't wait cause I thought I'd be disappointed with VI Advanced because of the rewrite but it was awesome.
Even though the music   in the final battle right before Kefka was changed where the music changed immediately instead of sounding like a mixed musical score if you know what I mean.
but being we already have a portable FF VI I say put the 3D remake on Wii using the graphics from the PS One FMV only for the whole game rather than just little movies and also in another forum I was talkin about Chrono Trigger. I say remake it with the original graphics on DS  but use the touch screen for Epoch time travel controls making it easier to travel though time when riding in the Epoch also in battle have the battle commands appear in the bottom screen while all the fighting appears in the top as well as the game text that way you don't have text windows covering all the scenery  also keep the anime cut scenes from PS One of which I liked but put an option to turn them off for those that didn't like them. Man I wish I worked for Square Enix I've got so many Ideas.
And as far as X-2 goes I thought the Idea was hot but they really messed up when they put where you could go anywhere in the game from the start instead of opening new areas as the game progressed my only problem was it was it was too confusing.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#47 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:44 pm

What was cool about the cutscenes from Chrono Trigger was that they were done by the character designer. Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball Fame. I thought itreally added authenticity to the projct. Final Fantasy VI though just simply doesn't need to be remade again. Maybe if they did a super bad ass one in the next generation of consoles or even now with say Top of the line 360 graphics but otherwise I see no point in redoing it.

X2 was simply stupid as hell. I don't understand how that one got off the ground when they were discussing it. IV DS would be amazing though. Story line wise Final Fantasy IV is the strongest in the series by far. Fans of VII were shocked due to the death of Aeris a quarter way in, some call it the most shocking thing Squaresoft has ever done but those are people that were attracted to the series through VII, in IV people died all the time and the characters were actually round.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#48 Post by Erpy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Fans of VII were shocked due to the death of Aeris a quarter way in, some call it the most shocking thing Squaresoft has ever done but those are people that were attracted to the series through VII, in IV people died all the time and the characters were actually round.
Yeah, but what made things in FFVII more dramatic than in FFIV was:

- It's true that in FFIV people "died" left and right, but only one player character really died and I think the "seemingly die but come back later"-stuff eventually got old in FFIV. It made the deaths lose meaning. The reason death is shocking is because it's permanent.

- In quite a few RPG's, player characters die by heroically sacrificing themselves...throwing themselves in front of a plot-death-dealing attack by the main bad guy to save the main good guy, picking a fight with the final boss before it's final-boss-beating-time or fighting-off-the-impossible-odds-while-main-party-escapes. There are slightly less player characters who are simply murdered in an unheroic fashion.

So I think FFVII handled death better than FFIV, although games like Phantasy Star II pulled these kinds of shockers way before FFVII came around.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Death in FF

#49 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:12 am

I agree with Erpy.  The only non-comic-book death in FF4 was Tellah.  Honestly, the best FF for "dying left and right" as far as player characters goes is probably the black sheep, FF2.  For pete's sake, the remake editions contained an epilogue dealing just with events in the afterlife for the dead characters!

As far as individual deaths posessing a high degree of resonance, I think Aerith's was probably the best of the bunch.  Tellah's impact was diluted by the comic-book-deaths in FF4.  Galuf from FF5, while moving, kinda lost impact when all of his jobs/abilities/levels transferred immediately to his granddaughter.  Shadow in FF6 is optional which diminishes impact right there.  FF2 is all about a war against opression and as such doesn't really have individual resonance for the deaths - it's about the losses as a whole.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#50 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:03 am

I thought the comic book deaths were actually quite cool. It was the first FF to have more playable characters than the maximum number of party members, the first one to actually have round character and really one of the only FFs until much later. I always found the rest of the characters in the FF universe to be quite flat compared to the ones in IV. I liked that they didn't have a party select screen in it as well it was strictly governed by the storyline and that's what made the "comic book deaths" neccesary. Also look at Goblez that was one bad ass villain Actually this has inspired me to make a poll, go check it out.[/code]