QFG-inspired

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

auxstd
Peasant Status

QFG-inspired

#1 Post by auxstd » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:05 am

Hey you rapscallions.

I used to be a part of Hero6 a long long time ago, but I quit. Since then I've been working on a project off-and-on for about 3 years now, with no help until recently. Now that the pace has picked up I thought I might share this with an audience that might be into it.

I've been working on this tile-scrolling RPG, but it's not like the usual ones you'd see on Super Nintendo or something. I've been working pretty hard on the graphics and animation to make it a lot more detailed and scaled. Also it has a real-time battle system that I've developed a lot of unique ideas for that I hope will turn out to be a fun play for people.

It's incredibly QFG inspired because that's easily been my favorite game of all time, but I may have gone a step further...

While most RPGs just have a single "interact" button, QFG had a handle, look, talk, walk, and other special actions, turning it into an adventure game. I decided that have those were all good, but I made a menu that you can bring up at the bottom of the screen that changes in what manner you "handle", "walk", and "analyze" objects in the game.

Specifically, there's 4 buttons. The first is Handle which is basically any physical action: "use", "take", "move", "climb", "attack", "throw". The second button is sensory. Like "look", "observe", "talk", "analyze", "listen". The third button is any kind of class-specific special action. The last button uses any item in your inventory.

(I took a lot of time to make particle effects like this)

Also I thought about character classes and it didn't seem like, at first, that any other character class really existed outside fighter, mage, thief, without just being a hybrid of the two or a variation on one. As far as solving problems goes anyways. Eventually I came up with two more classes that I think are unique and don't incorporate either of the first three.

The first is the Druid, which revolves mostly around nature: Plants and Animals. The Druid can feed, lure, tame and eventually talk to animals. This gives the player a variety of "pets" and other larger animals (like lions or something) that would just be awkward to carry around with you, build up a likeness to you and can be called upon when you're in the wild. The trick with the Druid is to get a mix of animals that are seen all across the game-world so you're never stuck in a place with no one to call for help. Also with plants, there's a variety of plants and ingredients you can find and mix into potions, bombs, and other crazy stuff. Kind of like Oblivion... although I did think of it long before that game came out. But whatever.

The other class is the Technologist, which centers around combining items and finding tools to make weird traps and inventions. Strength is still important, as you have to lug large crazy weapons around with you, but you need to keep a high intelligence in order to operate and maintain them in a good condition.

I've already developed enough with this game where I know these other classes will be fun to play, but even so, I've made it where you can acquire skills from all classes at all times, so you never have to stick with just one the whole game through... it just depends on the time you spend to improve.

I'd go into it more but I kinda already posted a lot and I don't want to piss anyone off so, let me know if this appeals to anybody and if anyone would want to play this when I come out with demos and what-not.

My buddy and I are coming out with a website for this and other projects we'll make soon. We bought the domain and server space, the guy is just too busy with school to work on posting anything yet. I'm gonna try to just put up some screen shots or something soon though. I'll post the URL later if you guys want.

haradan
Knight Status

#2 Post by haradan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:41 am

Looking good! Of course it sounds interesting and I'll follow your progress, even if RPGs were not my favorite kind of games. Still, it seems to me there will be a couple of adventure elements, right? Keep up the good work.

auxstd
Peasant Status

#3 Post by auxstd » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks haradan, yea its not really a full RPG, its half adventure game pretty much like QFG. I'll definitely come back with a URL once my friend and I post some more stuff.

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Alistair » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:23 am

This looks really promising.

Most fan-RPG's totally suck and aren't worth 10 minutes of your time, so I have a lot of time for a quasi-QFG project like this one.

- Alistair