General Quest for Glory discussions

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: General Quest for Glory discussions

#51 Post by Erpy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:05 pm

If you click the hand icon on Ad Avis when meeting him in the forest, you'll approach him and he'll look into your eyes, causing you to pass out and be taken to the dungeon.

ArneSaknoosen
Peasant Status

#52 Post by ArneSaknoosen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:10 am

Hey, I've got a QG3 problem. My friend, who is playing through for the first time, seems to have misplaced her Fine Spear. I assume she must have bought it and dropped it, because the weapon seller is no longer selling spears. Does anyone know how to edit QG3 save files? I tried to just use a hex editor and compare two saves with and without the spear, and tried other tricks just to find the inventory, but it seems QG3, unlike most of the series, has some security in its save files.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#53 Post by Spikey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:22 pm

Okay, about the Qfg3 point thing, at least the missing Wizard / Thief points are crystal clear. But the whole Fighter / Paladin / Fighter-turning-Paladin thing confuses me enormously. Just to get this straight, the imported Paladin in Qfg3 gets points for killing monsters? But doesn't need to kill monsters in order to trigger Johari to be captured? Or wasn't that what triggers her capture for the fighter anyways? * confused *

ArneSaknoosen
Peasant Status

#54 Post by ArneSaknoosen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:36 pm

I don't know about the points, but I'm quite certain that the trigger for Johari being captured for both fighters and paladins is practicing spear throwing with Uhura (that is, having a practice contest with her; to get her to show up, you have to hit the center of the target while practicing by yourself).

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#55 Post by Spikey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:25 pm

I see. I never even noticed that while playing as a Paladin.

Kaleban
Peasant Status

#56 Post by Kaleban » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:50 pm

Gotta say that the VGA remake was superb. Downloading and playing it got me to re-install the whole series and play through again.

However, I have a small issue, which I'm sure there is a simple solution for but I can't seem to find it.

Re-cast. That nice F6 command in the AGD remake that allows magic-users to re-cast the last non-targetted spell. Wasn't such a problem in QFG1 because not so many spells and they maxed out fairly quickly, and the EGA version of QFG2 simply allowed you to hold down enter.

I'm finding it difficult in QFG3 to play now because of AGD's superior interface (like not canceling discussion after every topic, but instead keeping the topic menu open, as well as the spell re-cast feature) has spoiled me! Are there any patches or fixes for this available out there, or some sort of mod that will alter this small aspect of the GUI?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#57 Post by Erpy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:27 pm

No, QFG3 is simply a pain in that regard. There's no way to quickly recast spells OR keep the topic tree on the screen. You'll just have to grin and bear it, knowing that in QFG4, targetted spells can be cast repeatedly and double-clicking the magic icon allows you to recast other spells. In QFG5 there are simply button hotkeys. What you COULD try in QFG3 is limit yourself to casting magic in combat, where you can use shortcut keys to access the battle-related spells.

Kaleban
Peasant Status

#58 Post by Kaleban » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:49 pm

What if, using Blue Frog mode I set all my spell skills at the end of QFG2 to 500, do you think they will carry over or be reset by QFG3? That way, at least those spells I won't ever have to worry about.[edit] Never mind, tried it, warped to the end, imported to III and it set all skills to 200. Looks like its battle magic only...

I love the series, but the amount of repetitive "practice" required to master spells is sometimes a bit rediculous, especially in QFG2 with the day timer.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#59 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:31 am

Actually, it's QFG2VGA who resets stats at the end when they are over a certain maximum just before exporting. Maybe QFG2EGA does not...I don't know about that.

In QFG2VGA, yes you have a 16-day limit, but spells rise remarkably quick while casting them in wizard games and the F6 key can make relatively short work of some others too.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#60 Post by Brainiac » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:22 pm

Erpy wrote:Actually, it's QFG2VGA who resets stats at the end when they are over a certain maximum just before exporting. Maybe QFG2EGA does not...I don't know about that.
It doesn't; I've checked. I've Blue Frogged a character with all stats at 255 in the original QfG2 and it imported as such into QfG3.

Dr. Spengler
Peasant Status

#61 Post by Dr. Spengler » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:28 am

Hey, what happens if you tell Yuri & Bella that Tanya is in the Castle Borgov?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#62 Post by Erpy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:34 am

I don't think you can.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#63 Post by Spikey » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:59 pm

About Tanya & Ad Avis, possible spoilers.

I was playing through Qfg4 the other day, and noticed that when I saved Tanya, I could talk to her about Ad Avis at the inn the next day. I felt like "Hey...does my hero even know Ad Avis is in Mordavia at this point?" I couldn't remember. Does she name Ad Avis somewhere while she's still at the castle? I know that you can oil the door to the great hall and spy on Katrina and Ad Avis, but it's optional.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#64 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:38 pm

No, she does not. I think the game assumes you've either listened to the conversation between Katrina and Ad Avis in the hall or have eavesdropped on the goon guards standing in front of the dungeon.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#65 Post by Lambonius » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:36 pm

In regards to dialogue options in QFG4, I've noticed a number of bugs during different playthroughs of the game where certain dialogue options appeared before they had been referenced in-game. Additionally, I've had bugs where I'd go into the inn after rescuing Tanya only to have a conversation with the innkeeper with the same dialogue options (where he talks about his wife's depression at Tanya's loss) as though I hadn't yet rescued her. I think the dialogue tree system is just one of the spots in the game that was in need of more polish before its release.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#66 Post by Spikey » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:37 pm

Most dialogue inconsistencies revolve around rescuing Tanya; you shouldn't do it all too early.

krrris
Peasant Status

#67 Post by krrris » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Question about importing character into QFG4 -

I started off as a fighter with magic in QFG2, then became a Paladin. I gained every spell possible in QFG2, and went on to QFG3 and beat the game. After I imported my character in QFG4 I noticed that I'm missing almost half of my spells! I don't even have fetch or force bolt. I also no longer have the ability to heal, even though my honor is at 300. Is there any reason for this, or is it an odd bug?

krrris
Peasant Status

#68 Post by krrris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:00 pm

Nevermind - I figured out my own solution; during the import process, it told me I was a Paladin, and asked if that was correct. Instead of selecting "okay" or "continue" (whatever the option was) I instead selected "Paladin" to the right. That messed up my spells and my ability to heal. So I guess I'm going to play the game over.

But I do have another question (If anyone eventually reads this) I have the QFG anthology, but I'm missing one cd - I have the install CD for dragonfire, but not the play CD. Does anyone know of anyway to get another CD without buying the game again through ebay or amazon?

Thanks!

haradan
Knight Status

#69 Post by haradan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:25 pm

A couple of things:

1) Dragonfire is not included in the Anthology. The only thing included was the Dragonfire Soundtrack and Demo, but not the finished game. So if you only have 1 CD, you lost the soundtrack, but you never had QFG5 complete.

2) If you bought QFG5 AND the Anthology and you lost one of your CDs, tough luck, but there's no legal way of buying just one CD, as far as I know. You'll have to buy the whole game again. That's the reason it's always a good idea to make backups, even of CD games.

krrris
Peasant Status

#70 Post by krrris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:40 pm

Oh okay. I did own the game; because I've played it before. So I just lost the play CD.

I definitely know now how important it is to back up CDs, but I was 17 when I got it, and I lost it soon after.

Do you think it's worth buying? The game is 50 bucks from Amazon. I never finished the game when I was 17, because it didn't appeal to me as much as the others (it seemed to be more fighting, less puzzles) but then again, I didn't give it that much of a shot.

Kris

haradan
Knight Status

#71 Post by haradan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:11 pm

Well, that's up to you. You could try Ebay to see if there's a cheaper deal. I'd say go for it, but I'm kind of a QFG freak and I just love every single game, but many people will tell you that QFG5 was the weakest of all the series.

While it may seem it's more combat oriented, that's entirely up to you, you can actually finish the game without too much fighting, really. And the combat system is actually one of the weak points in the game. The story is quite good and you get a feeling of completion after finishing it. Music is superb, and graphics, well, many people complain about it not being a true 3D game nor being the old 2.5 Sierra style graphics, but I thought they were OK, I guess it depend on what you like.

If you really like the QFG universe, then you should try it. If QFG is just another game for you, you won't like QFG5 very much, I think.

krrris
Peasant Status

#72 Post by krrris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. The Quest for glory series is definitely the best game series I've ever played. I've played them several times (as well as a lot of the other sierra series) because there doesn't seem to be a lot of modern options for me. That's why I'm excited about AGD's projects.

I suppose I'll break down and buy the game again, but I may scour my parent's attic first. It's so frustrating to pay 50 dollars for a game that I paid 50 dollars for 10 years ago. I'll keep my eyes open on ebay as well.

Thanks again!

Kris

greensenshi
Knight Status

#73 Post by greensenshi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:31 am

Going back to the Tanya thing, exactly how early in the game can you rescue her? I was under the impression it was scripted for the Domovoi to approach you after some trigger.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#74 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:56 pm

As far as I know, you must have gotten the doll from the domovoi (who will show up at midnight if not the first night, then at least the second) and learned about the staff from the gypsies. Thus, any time after Davy has been saved and you've gotten the critical information from Magda should be okay (presuming you've done everything the hotel domovoi has asked of you). It's only for the Wizard that things get slowed up due to the special staff-related events involving that class.

Chrismarr
Peasant Status

#75 Post by Chrismarr » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:20 pm

I'm having a problem finding the guardian in the giant tree, in QFG3...I'm apparently supposed to get the GEM from it, but I can't seem to find this guardian anywhere...Can anyone help me regarding this?