King's Quest V AGI

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

King's Quest V AGI

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Just made it for fun. I'm not going to actually make it a game because I don't know how to program in AGI.

Here are the EGA and VGA versions to compare (some people like them side by side):

ImageImage

greensenshi
Knight Status

#2 Post by greensenshi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:40 am

That looks really good(relatively speaking).  If I could blend colors well enough, I'd try my hand at a screen just to see what it looks like.

Fender178
Knight Status

#3 Post by Fender178 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:52 am

Sounds and looks interesting.

haradan
Knight Status

Re: King's Quest V AGI

#4 Post by haradan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:33 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Just made it for fun. I'm not going to actually make it a game because I don't know how to program in AGI.
I'd hope so. Even if you knew how to program in AGI, I'd prefer you spend your time in KQ2 SCI or composing music, rather than making a degraded version of KQ5. I know sending Cedric into oblivion may seem like an upgrade worth the whole remake, but I disagree. You need Cedric to take that mortal shot Mordack throws at you at the end of the game.  :p

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: King's Quest V AGI

#5 Post by Brainiac » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:01 pm

haradan wrote:I know sending Cedric into oblivion may seem like an upgrade worth the whole remake, but I disagree. You need Cedric to take that mortal shot Mordack throws at you at the end of the game.  :p
It's the only way Sierra could figure out to make sure everyone saved owl-boy from the harpies.  Besides, without his KQ5 "greatness," we would never have had such lovely easter eggs in SQ4, Freddy Pharkas, or AGDI's KQ2. :evil

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:33 pm

I must have missed him in SQ4... or blocked it from memory.

Fender178
Knight Status

#7 Post by Fender178 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:41 pm

Sq6 had the Cedric Easter egg in it.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#8 Post by Vildern » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:54 am

That looks really nice, man! Sure feels agi. Great job! :)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Cedric in SQ4

#9 Post by Brainiac » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:39 am

Fender178 wrote:Sq6 had the Cedric Easter egg in it.
I recall no Cedric in The Spinal Frontier.  Cite your source.
Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I must have missed him in SQ4... or blocked it from memory.
He appears randomly in the Ms. Astro Chicken game.  Run into him and Ms. AC kicks his tail for 25 points, I think.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:32 am

I recall no Cedric in The Spinal Frontier.  Cite your source.
I've heard about that one too. In the elevator on Delta Burksilon, his voice can be heard saying something like: "I'll wait for you here, Graham."

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#11 Post by Renodox » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP7VTeTCVCU

You'll get to see and hear the lines from that link.  And if you're too impatient to wait for it, it's found at about 4:40.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Cedric in SQ6

#12 Post by Brainiac » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:48 pm

Oh, I remember that now.  But it doesn't count.  First, it's Gary Owens, not Richard Aronson, and second, it's not a fun easter egg, like in SQ4, FPFP, and AGDI's KQ2+.  Those ones involve damage (or at least the potential for it) to the annoying animate feather-duster. :p

Lambonius
Knight Status

#13 Post by Lambonius » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:36 am

Back to the post topic, I keep coming back to that image and thinking about how cool the rest of the game would look in that style, or KQ6 for that matter.  I dunno, call me an old retro fool (and I mean RETRO retro...this is a primarily-VGA adventure gaming community after all :p ), I guess, but I find those old AGI graphics quite charming.  When I was a kid I used to draw the sprites from these old games (both AGI and the VGA ones) pixel per pixel on graph paper with colored pencils, and then transfer them onto my old 286's paint program.  Man, what an awesomely nerdy hobby.  I still have some of the drawings, but sadly, the 286 is somewhere in storage--probably doesn't even work anymore.

I love the screen though, and I'd love to see more like it! :)

EDIT: *100th post!  ;)

haradan
Knight Status

#14 Post by haradan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:59 am

Actually, AGI games have a lot of charm and some of them are even better than their VGA remakes. Two examples:

PQ1 AGI was an awesome game in which you really needed to know police procedures in order to complete the game, like when you stop the blue cadillac. Man, it took me a while to solve all the necesary steps to aprehend that guy! In the VGA version you could just click your talk icon and Sonny would shout all the correct things. All charm was lost, and of course all the famous "instruction to even real police officers" was lost as well.

SQ1 VGA was not bad, but it ruined one of the best moments of SQ4: when you go back to Ulence Flats all the graphics are EGA despite being a VGA game. That was so cool! But if you play the VGA version of SQ1, and then play SQ4, your trip to Ulence Flats will seem out of place. Bad planning, Kerona should have remained EGA to keep coherency with the SQ cosmogony.

Anyway, my point is AGI games will keep having a lot of charm no matter how many remakes are done (But keep remaking, AGDI and IA! ) ;)

haradan
Knight Status

#15 Post by haradan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:02 am

Oh, and I just remembered the infamous "Masturbate" command in Larry 1. I don't think you could do it in the VGA remake, could you?

greensenshi
Knight Status

#16 Post by greensenshi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:05 pm

... *cough* Um... I don't remember THAT command.  Click the zipper or the hand icon on yourself for the remake?  *shrug*

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:34 pm

I actually think an "AGI" remake of a later Sierra game would be fun.  

Bt

Lambonius
Knight Status

#18 Post by Lambonius » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:37 pm

haradan wrote:Actually, AGI games have a lot of charm and some of them are even better than their VGA remakes.
Agreed.  SQ1 AGI is great, though I can think of a number of great moments from the VGA version that weren't present in the AGI version as well (the hilarious acid pool from the Kerona caves comes immediately to mind.)  SQ2 is my favorite in the series, and that's AGI glory all the way.  Actually, come to think of it, I think SQ2 is my favorite Sierra AGI game, period.  That was old school graphics and parser-based adventuring at its absolute best!  IA, take note, you've got some big shoes to fill there!  ;)

Lambonius
Knight Status

#19 Post by Lambonius » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:I actually think an "AGI" remake of a later Sierra game would be fun.  

Bt
I completely agree.  I'd like to see if it could be done with any of the more intricate later Sierra games (a la KQ6.)  Just how limiting is programming in AGI in terms of being able to do cut scenes and things?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Lambonius wrote:
haradan wrote:Actually, AGI games have a lot of charm and some of them are even better than their VGA remakes.
Agreed.  SQ1 AGI is great, though I can think of a number of great moments from the VGA version that weren't present in the AGI version as well (the hilarious acid pool from the Kerona caves comes immediately to mind.)  SQ2 is my favorite in the series, and that's AGI glory all the way.  Actually, come to think of it, I think SQ2 is my favorite Sierra AGI game, period.  That was old school graphics and parser-based adventuring at its absolute best!  IA, take note, you've got some big shoes to fill there!  ;)
Believe me, we know.

I really love the AGI games.  I mean, I spent a lot of time playing those.  I still, in fact, enjoy playing them on my KEGS Apple IIgs emulator.

I love playing the IIgs versions of KQ1,2,3 and SQ 1, and 2.  As well as Leisure Suit Larry!

As far as AGI being limiting in cutscenes, as I'm not fluent in it, I couldn't say - but I bet it could be done.  Look at the little cut scenes in, say, SQ2.  You know, when Vohaul captures you and talks to you.

I bet an AGI version of KQ5 could be done.  I'd like to see an AGI SQ4, heh!

Bt

Lambonius
Knight Status

#21 Post by Lambonius » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:07 am

This thread has inspired me to download AGIstudio.  I haven't coded since CS105 years ago in undergrad, so I won't be making any games, but this Picedit is a nifty little piece of software (novel for the time being, anyway.)  I may try my hand at a few retro-style Sierra backgrounds myself in the coming days.  Just for fun, of course.  I'll post anything worthwhile here.  :)

MusicallyInspired

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:27 pm

A little advice, use WinAGI instead of AGI Studio. It's updated whereas AGI Studio is abandoned. It also has a much better internal Picture editor. Use that instead.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#23 Post by Lambonius » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:50 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:A little advice, use WinAGI instead of AGI Studio. It's updated whereas AGI Studio is abandoned. It also has a much better internal Picture editor. Use that instead.
Ah yes, thanks.  This one is much easier to use.  :)

Lambonius
Knight Status

#24 Post by Lambonius » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Maybe you can help me out.  How exactly do I save a finished picture as a regular image file (i.e. jpeg, bitmap, gif, etc.) rather than just the WinAGI resource file?  I'd like to post a quick KQ6 screen I did, but can't figure out how to get it into a postable file type.

MusicallyInspired

#25 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:49 pm

I did a screen capture. But you can also save it as a picture resource file in AGI and then extract it from the resources as a BMP file.