thinking of hanging up my adventurers cap

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#26 Post by Klytos » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:30 am

Blackthorne the Legend wrote:It's not right for a young man to living at home, off his parents coffers, past the age of 30.  Yet, I know someone who is nearing forty and shows no signs of leaving his parents home.  He lives in their basement, eats their food and doesn't hold down a steady job.
The only place I disagree with BT is about living at home until you're 30. I moved out at 19, and although I've moved back home twice since, each time was only for a couple of months and I couldn't wait to get out again. I love my parents and we get along great for the most part. I certainly love my mothers cooking and having the use of their swimming pool. But there's something tangible about having your own place that can't be explained until your do it.

Don't you think your parents deserve to have a life too? They probably love you completely and without question, but they deserve to have some time alone without their kids in the house.
AGD2 wrote:Too true, Lambonius. Most of my friends were extremely foolhardy; they got married when they were 18, 19, or in their very early 20's. In fact, I dare say that almost every friend I've known has fallen into exactly the same trap, making completely unrealistic over-compromises in an effort to gain the acceptance of their 'significant other.' They usually end up severely damaging (or, more often than not, completely breaking off) their friendships as a result of that. Sadly, when you're up against a friendship vs. that insecure friend's relationship, the relationship will usually take precedence hands down. And as you say, there isn't anything as a friend that you can do about that, even if you're convinced that it can't work out for them and they don't see it. I find it difficult to respect selfish behavior like that. I think friends who get into relationships like that can very easily get blinded to the fact than their original friends will be affected by the change too, depending on how good a friend that person was, and how often you'd normally hang out with them etc.
As a single person I watched a lot of my friends grow up and get married before I did. It was a time of change in our friendships, and a couple of those friendships fell by the by, but some of them just changed. They had to change, simply because there's a third person in the equation.

I think it's incredibly naive to expect your friends, or anyone else, to stay the same when they've fallen in love and gone off and got married. As BT said, people's priorities change as they grow up. They're thinking about (hopefully) setting up with a partner for the rest of their lives, maybe children come into the equation. There's a lot of things that the "old" friends are simply not privy too.

In short, it happens. It's called life and the one thing about life is that it changes. Embrace the change and be a friend in the new situation.
AGD2 wrote:Don't be concerned about other people's opinions of you or any stigma attached to living at home beyond a certain age. If living at home while you generate more income to become financially stable works for you (and providing your parents will put up with you!), then I think you should use that to your advantage while you can. It's not stupid; It's being smart. Just be sure not to become over-reliant to the point where you can't/won't do anything for yourself anymore.
Grow up! That's the harsh version of what I think. The not-so-harsh version is this. You will NEVER be in the perfect situation to move out and start paying your own bills. It's about respect for your parents and respect for yourself. Your parents deserve you gone. You're a pain in their ass. As much as they love you, they want you gone. They might have plans they can never fulfill because they feel like they're bound because you're there. And they've done their duty, they've raised you and they could be feeling that they've not done a good job because you don't have the skills to live on your own.

I'm not saying that you should move out simply because you turn 18 and you're legally allowed to sign a lease. Get a job. Be self-reliant. Save your moving costs, work out a weekly budget.

If there's one trap people fall into, it's that they want to start off where their parents finished. It doesn't work that way.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#27 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:35 am

I think it's incredibly naive to expect your friends, or anyone else, to stay the same when they've fallen in love and gone off and got married.
Well, it's one thing to get married etc. But it's quite another to start completely disregarding or cut off former long-term friendships on account of that. I think there should be a high degree of loyalty maintained in all good friendships, and doing that pretty much equates to saying, "You've served your purpose now. I've found something better, see ya!" That's self-centered. A decent friend would want to make time for both. (And in my friend's cases, I wouldn't exactly call it "love" that they fell into. More like a "rut." :lol)
If there's one trap people fall into, it's that they want to start off where their parents finished. It doesn't work that way.
Hmm, I don't believe it's a situation that can be generalized into black and white categories. Sure, it's GOOD to move out. But it's not always practical or financially possible for everyone to do so. And if you must remain at home due to circumstances beyond your control (i.e Parents need help, sickness, disability), then the situation cannot simply be branded as laziness or remaining in one's comfort zone. There can be many factors at play. I guess what makes all the difference here is the person's intent. For example; you can intend to move out, but not have the funds/job stability to do so. Or, on the other hand, you can be financially stable enough to move out, but never intend to. Big difference there. I do think moving out is something that should be aimed towards though, but particularly these days, people need to be smart about the timing of it.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#28 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:39 am

You're right, man.  There never is the "perfect time" to move out of the 'rents house.  When I did it, it was tough for the first few months - I didn't have all the creature comforts I was used to.  But I worked hard, and managed to "work" my way into a situation I was comfortable with.

And my parents are enjoying their empty nest - as much as they love me, they like their independence!

Sometimes I think that "kids" who still live with their folks past an appropriate age don't think about how they affect their parents lives socially.

Bt

Klytos

#29 Post by Klytos » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:47 am

It was tough as hell for me when I first moved out. I actually moved to a different town where I only knew my brother. But after a couple of months I got settled into my job, realised that my clothes weren't going to wash themselves and my meals weren't going to be prepared for me, and I got into it.

When I moved home about 3 years later, I couldn't believe the change in myself. This will sound very self-centered, but it's true none-the-less, I had really outgrown a lot of the people who I grew up with. Catching up with them on a regular basis made me realise that living at home for them had stunted their growth as people. Me, I had changed. My interests had expanded and I had a sense of responsibility that they didn't grasp. And for me, I didn't think about those things until I returned to those people who hadn't made that change.

I will agree with AGD2 about one thing, it's not always possible to do things. Sometimes situations happen that people make a choice to stay at home, sick parents are a good example. The first time I moved back home was to help my mum take care of my grandmother when she was really gone with Alzheimer's. What I'm talking about is people who don't move out of home because they're either lazy, or comfortable, or whatever. Legitimate reasons are a different issue.

I don't agree that money is ever an issue, particularly in a country like Australia. I've lived out of home on the dole which as anyone knows is total crap money, and I've scrapped by. It actually inspired me to be a lot more pro-active in my job search activities.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#30 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:00 am

I think I'm going to move out when I start school. That's pretty much it for my plan. Agree? Disagree?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#31 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:33 pm

Isn't having no money part of the whole moving-out maturising process?

Klytos

#32 Post by Klytos » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:47 pm

I don't know if it's having no money, it's having to deal with all those exciting little bills that you don't realise are going to come. Or that they come every month, without fail.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#33 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:28 pm

This whole thread reminds me of that movie "Failure to Launch" :lol

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#34 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:10 pm

I really do loathe it when people cut themselves off from friends in the name of marriage.  That happened to me with some friends of mine who married very young.

Incidentally, the friends of mine who married when they were older and more mature, I maintained excellent friendships with not only them, but their spouses as well.

And, heh, yeah, I think having no money is part of the maturing process!

Bt

Lambonius
Knight Status

#35 Post by Lambonius » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:09 pm

8 years ago, when I first went away to college, I left my particular friend behind at home; he remained a humble townie. ;)  And our friendship basically existed that way for years, and it was the strongest friendship I ever had.  They say you meet your closest, lifelong friends in college; and I did meet several, but through it all, my humble townie friend was always there.  

I'm not naive at all; I know people grow and change, and friendships change dynamics.  It happened to my friend and I more than once over the years, but we always came out ahead.  The problem with the marriage situation was exactly that which Blackthorne described.  It's a maturity thing, not a priority one.  A person isn't yet mature enough to handle more than one commitment.  And so other relationships suffer as a result.  It's no mystery why it happens; it just sucks that it does.  Like in any relationship, if you want the friendship to last through the immature spot, you have to put in a little more effort, and maybe even make a few uncomfortable sacrifices.  I've done that, and things are going alright so far.  I have no doubt that in time my friend will become more accustomed to the ways of married life (and indeed, adult life in general, having never lived away from home before this, whereas I've been on my own for almost 10 years.)  

I don't ever expect things to go back to "the good old days" of bumming around together and not having any other priorities to attend to, but I do expect to be considered as a priority, not over wife and kids, but at least as high as any other family member, since that's what friends with histories like ours essentially are--family.

PS: And incidentally, I too am broke as a joke, at least till payday tomorrow.  ;)

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#36 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:31 am

Well I know I'm going to get a few frowns from everyone here for my selfishness but I live with a single mom and my brother has a heart condition so he lives here too. But what I'm getting to is that they need me and after a lot of what y'all said I got to thinking I was actually selfish for wanting to leave yes I need a job to help out more but they need me at home so I can help with my brother while my mom works so I guess it makes me kind of a jerk for wanting to leave just for a girlfriend but I don't know I do have a friend thats been telling me to get out while I can. But I'd only feel guilty later.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#37 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:31 am

Yeah, dude if you're helping your Mom by taking care of your brother, I'd say your situation bodes a little differently.

It's not selfish - it's normal to want to move out of your parents digs.  It might just take a bit longer due to circumstances.

Bt

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#38 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:32 am

Maybe you need to sit down and have a talk with your mam about the future and you leaving or not leaving etc

According to your profile your 25, imo thats time to move on, but every situation is different so it's best you talk with your family and decide what your going to do, otherwise it will be another 5 years fly by and you'll still be there, which isnt a bad thing given the situation but at least by then you could of saved some money up to get your own place and be ready to move.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#39 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:59 pm

I knew a girl who moved out and had her own job and apartment at 16. Crazy, but she was apparently mature enough to handle it. Never moved back in either.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#40 Post by Senor Matt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Another factor to ask yourself is how well they would be able to get along without you. I lived with my mother well after 25, but I was helping her to raise my baby brother. At least that's what I kept telling myself, but while I did help a lot with many things around the house, they were all things that my mother was completely capable of doing on her own. And while they of course love me and my help was certainly appreciated, they didn't really NEED me to be there, they do fine now without me there all day.  So I don't know what your situation is seraphim, or how bad your brother's condition is, but one thing you should ask yourself is how well your mother and brother would get along without you in the house.

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#41 Post by avoozl snot » Tue May 20, 2008 11:56 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:This whole thread reminds me of that movie "Failure to Launch" :lol
Truly, the key component of any successful ~ MY GIRLFRIEND ~ thread is the girlfriend.