Warning RE: NewRisingSun's QFG4 fixes

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Goilveig
Knight Status

Warning RE: NewRisingSun's QFG4 fixes

#1 Post by Goilveig » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:18 am

I found to my dismay that the fix can itself cause new bugs. While playing, I had the following happen:

1. Wraith combat would lock up the game -- it wouldn't show the wraith animations at all on the main screen, and it hung forever trying. Makes the game impossible as you can't get the Heart ritual.

2. One event (don't want to spoil too much, but it involves an unexpected reunion with an old adversary) triggered vastly prematurely, long before I'd done any of the prerequisite stuff.

As I know pretty much everyone here is interested in QFG4, I just thought I'd give a heads-up.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Warning RE: NewRisingSun's QFG4 fixes

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:30 am

Have you emailed NewRisingSun himself?

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#3 Post by Schloss Ritter » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:43 am

"Last updated on March 26th 2005"

Something tells me he has moved on from this project. I'm not even sure if the email address on the page is valid any more.

As for the Wraith combat issue, I had the game get stuck a lot when a Wraith died. I think I found messing with the Speed or Detail sliders before entering the screen sometimes helps. And if it did "lock up", leaving it sit for a couple minutes (or longer on faster computers) would finally get the game to move on.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:01 am

NewRisingSun can still be found on various Sierra forums. I know for a fact he visits Quest Studios and the Janitorial Times (SQ.Net's forums).

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:19 am

You should tell him to come over here, MI. He can get threads devoted to him, just like CyricZ. :p

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#6 Post by Senor Matt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:24 am

I have a copy of the anthology that I plan on playing along with the remake. Does anybody know if those patches apply to the anthology as well? Or if I even need them?

Goilveig
Knight Status

#7 Post by Goilveig » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:14 am

Yes, the patches are still needed with the anthology. NewRisingSun's QFG3 patch worked great for me, but I played without his QFG4 patch after having issues. (Granted, I think the issue with the event mistriggering was related to the fact I was moving savegames between the patched and unpatched versions to try to get past the bug with the wraith.)

Here's how to get QFG4 off the anthology working (with voices) in DosBox:
http://tawmis.com/collector/Games/Quest ... OSBox.html

I skipped step 2 after having issues with fighting wraith. You can easily tell if you have the issue -- go two screens south and one screen east of the town gates after dark. There'll be a pile of stones. If a wraith rises out of the stones (i.e. you can see it on the main room, not just in the battle) you're OK. If there's nothing but stones until you click on them, you're bugged and if you win the battle, you'll lock up.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#8 Post by Schloss Ritter » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Though, like I said, there are things you can do in the game to possibly avoid the glitch (speed/detail sliders) or recover afterwards (wait it out).

Proxas
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Proxas » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:00 am

there's a way around this, you can enter exit screen till it happens but that mostly doesn't work with the heart ritual one.

you can also start combat then beat it down like close to dead and run away from combat

keep starting and running away till you see the wraith out of the burrow, once hes outside of it the next time you enter combat just kill him and you wont lock out.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#10 Post by Goilveig » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:44 pm

Yes, I eventually managed to get the wraith issue to work, by setting the speed slider to max and moving around the screen until the wraith finished spawning.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#11 Post by Goilveig » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Actually, having played through on a second character now, it seems more tied to time of night than anything else.

If I fight a wraith very early in the night, I have no issues. The later on it gets, the less likely the wraith will work. I'm not sure if it's actual time of day or if it's just the actions I took during the earlier part of the night, but going just after sundown seems to always work for me now.