Is it a sin to have never played QFG2EGA?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Dasilva
Peasant Status

Is it a sin to have never played QFG2EGA?

#1 Post by Dasilva » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:11 am

Hey everyone, I have a confession to make... I've never played QFG2EGA. Quest for Glory is my all time favourite adventure game series, its neck and neck with Space Quest. I've played every QFG except QFG2EGA, and I wanted to ask if Im missing out on anything special if I skip the EGA version and just play the remake when it comes out. I tried QFG2EGA once but I found the start quite confusing and I stopped after 10minutes, maybe its just me. |I

Alliance
Knight Status

Re: Is it a sin to have never played QFG2EGA?

#2 Post by Alliance » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:28 am

I'd recommend you play it before the remake comes out. It'll give you more reason to gasp in wonder at things in the remake.

Also, I'd say it's the best one out of the series.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#3 Post by Solarkid » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:34 am

Yes, it is a sin.

PLAY IT NOW, NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:36 pm

I think most people agree that QFG2 takes some time to pick up momentum and once you get past the first 15 minutes, things get a lot better. The game's very good if you can put up with the EGA graphics, parser interface and confusing streets. And it IS a very important chapter in the QFG-series. I'd say give it a try...it'll also make you appreciate the remake more, since you can make an actual comparison.

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Dasilva » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:07 pm

Erpy wrote:I think most people agree that QFG2 takes some time to pick up momentum and once you get past the first 15 minutes, things get a lot better. The game's very good if you can put up with the EGA graphics, parser interface and confusing streets. And it IS a very important chapter in the QFG-series. I'd say give it a try...it'll also make you appreciate the remake more, since you can make an actual comparison.

I love EGA graphics just as much as VGA & 3D, so Im no graphics whore. You got it there, those streets really threw me off and put me off the game. Isen't a map required to play the game? Because I notice one comes with the game when you buy it back in the day.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:18 pm

You don't need the map to play the game. You can go up to Alichica (the merchant selling the junk in the Gates Plaza) and ask him directions to the money changer. Just be sure to write them down.

Alternatively, you can go straight out into the desert and try to find a Brigand to kill, get his money, and then return to the city and buy a map from Alichica that way. Once you have acquired the map, you'll be able to jump to key locations that you have already visited.

Asking Alichicha, the moneychanger, and some other NPC's about certain places will result in them providing directions which you can write down and follow. Then, once you've visited all the important places by foot, you can use the map to jump directly to them.

Fender178
Knight Status

#7 Post by Fender178 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:29 pm

Ya its not recommended to play the EGA original of the game but some people recommend it. I havent played any QFG games myself but I can tell you this I would recommend playing the EGA version of QFG2 Since it has the event day completion thing that the others dont have where you have to do something by a particular day once it happens So you can get comfortable with the game.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#8 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:11 pm

Is it a sin to have never played any QFG? :rolleyes :o

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Dasilva » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:36 pm

Woulden't it be better if I waited til QFG2VGA comes out and play that instead of the EGA version, so I'll love the game more because of the spitshine that AGDI have done. I think I might be underwhelmed playing QFG2EGA and then QFG2VGA just a week or two later.

adeyke

#10 Post by adeyke » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:51 pm

I think it'll be much harder to play QfG2EGA after QfG2VGA than vice versa.

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Dasilva » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:56 pm

Okay you guys win, I'm loading up QFG2 now and playing it. :p

Solarkid
Knight Status

#12 Post by Solarkid » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:26 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:You don't need the map to play the game. You can go up to Alichica (the merchant selling the junk in the Gates Plaza) and ask him directions to the money changer. Just be sure to write them down.
Seriously?
I tried to follow his directions SO many times before giving up and just wondering until i found her. In my younger days i even got my dad to double check every direction i wrote down with Alichica's to make sure i got the correct ones. Alas, i always ended up near the guy who reads your future

Dave

adeyke

#13 Post by adeyke » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:06 pm

The key thing about Alichica's directions is that only those places where you have an actual choice count. That is, if you come to the end of the street and the only option is to go left, that doesn't count as one of the left turns.

haradan
Knight Status

#14 Post by haradan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:09 pm

Yep, Alichica's directions may seem confusing, but they are quite accurate.
Angelus3K wrote:Is it a sin to have never played any QFG?
OMG, that is not a sin, that is like a bundle of 5 or 6 sins put together!! That is simply EVIL!! :lol

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#15 Post by Spikey » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:15 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Is it a sin to have never played any QFG? :rolleyes :o
Not a sin, but out of this world.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:19 am

They should remake the QFG series without the RPG elements. Then I might be persuaded to play through them without hesitation.

*dodges tomatoes*

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#17 Post by Klytos » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:33 am

There wouldn't be much of a game if you removed the RPG elements.

MusicallyInspired

#18 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:14 am

Hence why I've never played it :D. I hate stat-grinding. I decided that if that's what the bulk of the games is about I'm not interested. I will attempt to get through them someday, just because I have to.. I've already finished one and got partway through two (with almost no fighting so far).

haradan
Knight Status

#19 Post by haradan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:49 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:They should remake the QFG series without the RPG elements. Then I might be persuaded to play through them without hesitation.

*dodges tomatoes*
Ah, but that's exactly the charm of QFG! That, my friend, is like saying I would play King's Quest if they removed the royal family, or Space Quest if it had less humor! :rollin

Kloreep
Knight Status

#20 Post by Kloreep » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:40 pm

Though, to be fair to QFG, the RPG element definitely diminishes in importance as the series goes on. Grinding is probably the biggest element in 1, but as time goes on, the plots & puzzles get a big bigger and your minimum starting stats become a greater percentage of the ceiling.

MusicallyInspired

#21 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:01 pm

haradan wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:They should remake the QFG series without the RPG elements. Then I might be persuaded to play through them without hesitation.

*dodges tomatoes*
Ah, but that's exactly the charm of QFG! That, my friend, is like saying I would play King's Quest if they removed the royal family, or Space Quest if it had less humor! :rollin
Again, that's why I haven't played through it. If it's nothing without the RPG elements it isn't worth playing that much to me.

haradan
Knight Status

#22 Post by haradan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:17 pm

I wouldn't say that nothing remains if you take out the RPG, I was just saying that the mix of adventure and RPG is what made QFG unique. But I agree with Kloreep, the stats are more important in the first two games, after QFG3 you can more or less forget abouth them (in QFG3 you can beat the toughest monter on day 1 without breaking a sweat).

Tell you what, MI and others, start QFG1, type "razzle dazzle root beer", raise all your stats to max, and then you can focus on the adventure part of the game. You will probably finish it very quickly, but that will give a chance to taste the QFG universe. Trust me, the setting and characters can really be touching. And you can do the same in QFG2 (EGA) with "suck blue frogs". You'll see there's more to the game than just RPG.

On the other hand, maybe you just don't want to play it and that's all right. I don't pretend to be pushy, it's just that QFG is my favorite series of all times and I have continued playing it through all these years, something I can't say about any other adventure game or series, so I just want to share my passion about it, that's all.

Nobara
Peasant Status

#23 Post by Nobara » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:22 pm

I used to HATE rpgs. Now I am an obsessive-compulsive rpg player, the type that plays through a game slowly and methodically, raising ever stat and doing every possible sidequest. But I digress!

Anyway, I HATED rpgs and having to raise stats, and this was back in the day, when I first played the QfG games. However, my hatred of stats and rpg-elements didn't keep me from loving these games back then. It could be because I always played as a thief, who only needs a few stats raised (ones that raise quickly, even!) to solve all the puzzles.

MusicallyInspired

#24 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:55 pm

One sure good thing about me never wanting to play the QFG series before is that it's now perfectly preserved un-explored Sierra adventure territory for me. Which is rare nowadays. I've played and beat almost everything else. It'll be brand new and exciting.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#25 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:16 am

You can play QFG's without much fighting. It can be done. Hell, it's the way I do it. I hate stat grinding too. Most people do it in QFG because it gives them a boner. It's not needed.

Bt