My one real problem with Dragon Fire... The Ending.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

TheLonelyPaladin
Peasant Status

My one real problem with Dragon Fire... The Ending.

#1 Post by TheLonelyPaladin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Like I said in another thread... QFGV has really grown on me over the years. But is just me or does it fall flat in a huge way at the end?

I mean, here it is... the culmination of the entire series... the game made just for the fans, all the loose threads tied up... and the closing scene basically amounts to:

Minos: Alright well the dragon's dead, the Rites of Rulership are over and nobody died. Well, except for the people that did but they where jerks anyway, well except for that one red-shirt guy but he was a bit-part that had it coming. So wanna be king or what?

Hero: I guess.

Minos: Well alright! I guess that's a wrap.

Erana: By the way we're getting married.

Minos: Sure, whatever.

Roll Credits.

wayninja
Peasant Status

Re: My one real problem with Dragon Fire... The Ending.

#2 Post by wayninja » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:41 pm

I couldn't agree more. I really love the game. The writing (up to the end) is pretty witty and etertaining and in keeping with the spirit of the series. The puzzles are logical and fun and the gameplay with the new engine works fairly well (unless you run into bugs of course). But the ending just seems so rushed...

I guess I would have rather had another open ending even knowing the game will never get made...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:55 pm

Yeah, the ending was a bit quick. A shame since they could have shortened the intro somewhat and used that time to create an ending movie of the ceremony. Or, maybe instead of the credits scrolling past a black background, let them scroll past various shots of various moments in the hero's adventures.

It's Logos, btw. Not Minos. ;)

TheLonelyPaladin
Peasant Status

#4 Post by TheLonelyPaladin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Erpy wrote:It's Logos, btw. Not Minos. ;)
Good Call :lol

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Alanor. » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:00 pm

Yes, except for the ending QFG 5 is my most favourite very closely followed by QFG 4 and 1. Haven't played 2 yet so can't rate it. 3 was ok.

TheLonelyPaladin
Peasant Status

#6 Post by TheLonelyPaladin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:21 pm

Really? I assume you mean the climax as opposed to the ending... I.E. the fight with the Dragon, which is assuredly bad ass. I'm talking about the ceramony at the VERY end... which should be this huge awesome, awards ceramony at the end of Star Wars moment... but instead is basically a throw-away.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#7 Post by Spikey » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:58 pm

I'm all for interactive endings. I mean, wouldn't it be cool to wander around Silmaria one last time after the ending, as a King or not, interacting with all the characters one last time?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#8 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:55 pm

kinda like that one ending in Chrono Trigger where you can talk to various people from the production team at the end of time?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#9 Post by Spikey » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:11 pm

And like the ending of Hotel Dusk.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#10 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:11 am

Spikey you know me as well as any other forum dweller possibly can which is to say not very much however being a rabid Phoenix Wright fan do you think I could enjoy Hotel Dusk? I know they're different but hey I also liked Police Quest so you never know.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#11 Post by Spikey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:50 pm

Sorry for the late response.

You should definately try it, QfgFan; it's sort of a Gabriel Knight / Police Quest -y game, only the focus lies more on dialogues and people's backstories, not on suspsense or thrilling scenes. There's nothing much actually happening in the game itself but conversation. A lot of the mysteries remain mysteries.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#12 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:10 pm

sounds very simmilar to Phoenix Wright. It's kind of moot now anyways as I am moving out and the brother is keeping the DS at home :cry .

Back on topic I actually enjoyed QFGV because it was the first one I played and went in having absolutely no idea that most the characters were recurring ones. Then as I went back (through 1 to 3 to 4and just now to 2) it's neat to meet a character and know where they eventually end up. Take Julanar for example. I know she marries some hippie but I have no idea why they're so grateful for me. Play through an entire game and still no idea why, play through another and I find the same hippie and tell her about this tree thing but never put it all together then finally I understand that Julanar is a tree that a hippie falls in love with and it comes full circle. It's kind of like I Tarrentino'd the entire series and it actually made it more effective. To break it down I saw it something like this.

Act V: Start to finish.
Act IV: Introduction to Error 52
Act I: Intro
Act III intro to midpoint
Act I:continued to finish.
Act IV: error 52 onwards til before Ad Avis' introduction.
Act II: Start to finish

In a lot of ways it was a more effective way to tell the story than going straight through and if I want there is still more of the story to check out that I will hopefully be getting around to by the end of this year. As far as the end of the fifth game goes though I was completely satisfied but it would have disappointed me if it wasn't the first QFG ending I saw but now that I look at it sure it could have been better but the sense of accomplishment is still there.

Anecdotal aside: I remember exporting my hero from QFGV every time I completed it and wondering how the next game would work if the ending was dependent on choices you made... little did I know.

pikaporeon
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by pikaporeon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:50 pm

I went Wages of War; So You Want, Trial, and then Dragon Fire. [I was initially too scared of Mordavia (I first played QFG when I was only five), followed by numerous errors. my K6 with Windows ME just wasnt up to the task of a bug-free mordavia, and I didn't have internet access at the time to figure out otherwise]. I was amazed at Dragon Fire, as even in 1999 when I got it, QFG was that "old series i loved and no one had heard of"