Knights of the Old Republic MMO Confirmed!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: Knights of the Old Republic MMO Confirmed!!

#2 Post by Gronagor » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:02 am

Urgh... the Star Wars brand has already been milked for all it is worth... isn't it about time to let it die?!?

Kloreep
Knight Status

#3 Post by Kloreep » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Have you played the KOTOR games, Gronagor? They're quite good.

An MMO sounds like a terrible idea to me at first glance, though. Both Bioware's KOTOR1 and Obsidian's KOTOR2 were defined, and succeeded on, good story. Making that setting and that type of storytelling work in a MMO... I doubt it would have any of the best parts of the single player games.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:59 pm

I haven't played either KOTOR games but I have heard that unlike the other Star Wars games which are all rehashes or Star Wars versions of other games, KOTOR is actually quite a good series (not being an in-house LucasArts project). If this MMO is as good as the first two games I wouldn't mind seeing released. Star Wars does need to die, though. It either needs a rebirth and a fresh approach or it needs to die. Now.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#5 Post by Kloreep » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Sadly, I doubt we'll see either a rest or a rebirth. The prequels were about the closest I imagine the franchise will come to rebirth, and they weren't the greatest addition...

KOTOR is probably the closest you'll come to a fresh approach. Setting thousands of years before the movies = all the basic background (force, Jedi, Sith, lightsabers, etc.) that the game devs care to take, without any of Lucas' characters or events dictating things.

MusicallyInspired

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Speaking of Star Wars MMO's, whatever happened to Star Wars Galaxies? Was it any good?

Broomie
The Enigma

#7 Post by Broomie » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:56 pm

Although I'm never one to actually praise a Star Wars game seeing as it is officially the most milked franchise ever to exist, The Force Unleashed does look awesome which makes it the only Star Wars game I've ever looked forward to.

MusicallyInspired

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Why didn't they ever make a Star Wars adventure? That would have done well. At least as well as the Indy adventures.

Stupid LucasArts....

Kloreep
Knight Status

#9 Post by Kloreep » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:46 pm

The Force Unleashed does look like fun, though I'm having trouble figuring out what makes it all that new compared to the Jedi Knight series. Aside, of course, from the requisite iterations on graphics & physics.

techie775
Knight Status

#10 Post by techie775 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Kloreep wrote:The Force Unleashed does look like fun, though I'm having trouble figuring out what makes it all that new compared to the Jedi Knight series. Aside, of course, from the requisite iterations on graphics & physics.
The thing I wonder about the force unleashed is I was told that you as one of Vader's secret apprentices which makes me wonder if you can turn your character to the light side like in KOTOR....

Solarkid
Knight Status

#11 Post by Solarkid » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 pm

Kotor 1 and 2 are fantasic games, I really recommend playing them, Kotor 1 has one of the best plot/plot twists I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing in a game.

I'm a little scared about this mmo tbh, it just doesn't seem like the kotor universe.

Dave

Kloreep
Knight Status

#12 Post by Kloreep » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:02 pm

The KOTORs are indeed excellent. Definitely worth a play - even, I would say, if you aren't a big Star Wars fan. As long as you're okay with fantastic sci-fi (space opera, whatever you want to call it) you're good; the KOTORs really take the SW universe in their own direction.
techie775 wrote:
Kloreep wrote:The Force Unleashed does look like fun, though I'm having trouble figuring out what makes it all that new compared to the Jedi Knight series. Aside, of course, from the requisite iterations on graphics & physics.
The thing I wonder about the force unleashed is I was told that you as one of Vader's secret apprentices which makes me wonder if you can turn your character to the light side like in KOTOR....
If you can take on Vader, I have a sneaking suspicion you don't win. ;)

It would be cool if they had a branching story like that though. I know the original Jedi Knight even had you pick different force powers depending on alignment. Then Jedi Outcast dumped that in favor of a linear track... (I haven't played Jedi Academy. Did they go back to picking force powers?)

techie775
Knight Status

#13 Post by techie775 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Kloreep wrote:
If you can take on Vader, I have a sneaking suspicion you don't win. ;)
I didn't mean that. I thought while Vader was secretly training you to be a sith, you'd secretly be using his teachings to learn how to access how to become a Jedi instead. Heck it even become possible to have a failed assassination attempt or something clever to escape him...

Dragonfang
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Dragonfang » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:19 pm

KOTOR1 was fine, even though the story was just a remix of A New Hope and Neverwinter Nights: Original Campaign. I haven't played KOTOR2 because of the very bad reviews.

KOTOR MMO sound ok... until EA decide to slap DRM on it just like they did with Mass Effect. So wait and see.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#15 Post by Kloreep » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:48 pm

If you disliked the unoriginality of KOTOR1, I'd certainly give KOTOR2 a spin. It bounces some interesting ideas and characters off the backdrop of a galaxy still dealing with the Mandalorian Wars and all its consequences. Might want to wait for the Restoration Project to finish though; while the game is good, it shipped way too early. Just another reason to hate LucasArts...

Dragonfang
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Dragonfang » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:44 am

Kloreep wrote:If you disliked the unoriginality of KOTOR1, I'd certainly give KOTOR2 a spin. It bounces some interesting ideas and characters off the backdrop of a galaxy still dealing with the Mandalorian Wars and all its consequences.
On the contrary, while I did felt KOTOR1 was unoriginal on certain levels, I enjoyed the game nonetheless. In fact, KOTOR1 was much better than NWN:OC.

As for KOTOR2, it does bring a fresh take on the SW archetypes (Planescape:Torment anyone?). But rather than bringing all those newcomers and a new main character, it should have been all the about the same characters from KOTOR1. We should have been allowed to carry on where we left off, just like in QFG and Baldur's Gate with the character export.
Might want to wait for the Restoration Project to finish though; while the game is good, it shipped way too early. Just another reason to hate LucasArts...
Maybe ADGI can lend the Restoration Project a hand? :)

As for (present day) Lucasarts, I can say a lot of nasty things, but I'll restrain myself.