Literacy and dirty-mindedness

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

XboxNation
Peasant Status

Literacy and dirty-mindedness

#1 Post by XboxNation » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:21 am

So I got to thinking, you know, I believe that bookish people are inherently due to their characteristics greater and more amazing freaks than say, your average rock star or star athlete.

Yes, I think that way because in my view, the literate (or language-processing) part of the mind travels further faster than your average sensory processing grey-matter. Yes, like a wet sponge the braincells involved in sensory processing saturate the inputs, and digest the data in such a way that it becomes intelligible to us. But really, is that all that brilliant?

The eyes see, but the mind understands. Literacy is all about what you do with the input when you have it. Best of all it requires exercise without the accompanying strains of the body which produce stupid reactions (elevated heart rate, pupillary dilation, mass release of hormones and proteins, etc.)

So to get back to my original point, the literate mind is downright mischievous. For example, I was scanning the titles of postings in this forum when somehow, out of a string of words I obviously knew Quest For Glory Heros, I got, don't ask me how "Quest For Glory Holes." Which frankly is not safe for work if you don't know what that is. I have to laugh at that and I wonder where that comes from, because that happens more often than not, I'll just read something and interpret it offhandedly without comprehending the meaning of the text or its literal definition.

It has to be that the literate mind, the calmest and most powerful of our senses, comprehension, in a word, is guided by our preliminary senses but not bound by them. And that's the point. The literate mind is downright devious.

In the spirit of the subject I've decided to expand the initial misreading into something more awful still. A twisted game / or / documentary book idea.

Quest for Gloryholes: Journey to San Francisco

I sincerely hope no one picks up on that, but I couldn't leave the thought unfinished.

Oh, not to be outdone, I was just browsing in another tab for Star Trek uniforms I might purchase to wear. And yay! Yes they have them. http://www.clicket.com/Costumes/ALL/ALL ... -1-16.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-TNG-Unifo ... otohosting

I love the Internet!

glyfrahnour
Peasant Status

Re: Literacy and dirty-mindedness

#2 Post by glyfrahnour » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:28 am

yes. you are sick.

XboxNation
Peasant Status

#3 Post by XboxNation » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:50 am

glyfrahnour wrote:yes. you are sick.
Actually I'm feeling just fine. Never better. I take it you don't read much? I wouldn't be the first to make part of the observation above. Anyone who reads alot of Sci-Fi and Fantasy can't help but come away with appreciation for how unusual the authors often are.

I appreciate your endorsement of the concept however.

PS Are you mentally divergent, friend?
http://www.youtube.com/v/L9ya6G5S8MA&fmt=18

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#4 Post by eriqchang » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:13 pm

LOLOL! :)