Duke Nukem for XBox

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

XboxNation
Peasant Status

Duke Nukem for XBox

#1 Post by XboxNation » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:29 am

Excellent news

http://www.duke4.net/news.php

Duke3d is coming to XBOX!

I just know Duke Nukem Forever is coming out soon!

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

Re: Duke Nukem for XBox

#2 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:50 am

XboxNation wrote:Excellent news

http://www.duke4.net/news.php

Duke3d is coming to XBOX!

I just know Duke Nukem Forever is coming out soon!
i personally think it never will, it will go the way of the last ninja...

its such a good original, they will keep trying to top it, but never will, because of the corporate mentality that doesn't promote big changes and risks...

personally i hope it does, and it really take FPS to a new level...

XboxNation
Peasant Status

#3 Post by XboxNation » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:33 am

Scroll down some on that web page. Go to some past articles for he like the past two or three months. It's almost ready. A playable build was played by the director/creator of Blood who has his own show, Jace.

It looks GOOD.

No it looks GREAT.

It's coming, seriously. Revolutionize? Oh my god, this game will be epic. This isn't 1995 anymore. We're in a media world right now. We have 50 inch plasma TVs with HD. We have HD outputs from out PCs. We have REALLY high speed Internet access.

It's the right time for a blockbuster FPS to come out and just tear the house down from the EA-mediocrity. It's got to happen, and Crysis and that other one I forget the name of that are big now are going to look like WOLF 3D was to DN3D in comparison to the release of DNF.

I have faith and am willing to to put money down. The game will come. I know it will. And it's going to kick so much ass!!!!

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:47 am

XboxNation wrote:Scroll down some on that web page. Go to some past articles for he like the past two or three months. It's almost ready. A playable build was played by the director/creator of Blood who has his own show, Jace.

It looks GOOD.

No it looks GREAT.

It's coming, seriously. Revolutionize? Oh my god, this game will be epic. This isn't 1995 anymore. We're in a media world right now. We have 50 inch plasma TVs with HD. We have HD outputs from out PCs. We have REALLY high speed Internet access.

It's the right time for a blockbuster FPS to come out and just tear the house down from the EA-mediocrity. It's got to happen, and Crysis and that other one I forget the name of that are big now are going to look like WOLF 3D was to DN3D in comparison to the release of DNF.

I have faith and am willing to to put money down. The game will come. I know it will. And it's going to kick so much ass!!!!
name one feature that will blow Crysis out of the water?

I think games like Strife and Half-life were steps in the right direction, but until some really good adventure game developers start working with really good FPS developers, i don't see much happening with FPS's...

XboxNation
Peasant Status

#5 Post by XboxNation » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:15 am

oughtobe wrote:name one feature that will blow Crysis out of the water?
I'll list seven.

The storyline. The character development. The graphics. The babes. The one-liners. The gameplay. The feeling you get playing it.

Make it eight. The weapons.
I think games like Strife and Half-life were steps in the right direction, but until some really good adventure game developers start working with really good FPS developers, i don't see much happening with FPS's...
What you are describing is The Problem. The unintentional blending of genres through misguided attempts to appeal to more than one gaming market have given birth to such monstrosities as Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun, Sim City 4000, and Civilization 4.

I'll break each one down for you:

C&C:TS's central flaw is that it tries to make a RTS a RPG. This is great for the fantasy genre and virtually impossible to commit for a realistic combat simulator. StarCraft and WarCraft are fine for that because they start out an RPG anyway and manifest into a RTSish battle simulation interface. That magic doesn't work in reverse. No matter how well rendered the cut scenes are, or how well acted. That's cinema, not a game.

SC4000 is a total piece of crap. I say that because it is a simulator and not a game. The reason SC1 and SC2000 worked well was because it was a GAME that behaved like a (limited) simulation. The controls were pretty basic and the results of your actions were readily apparent in the game. It required trial and error, and learning the effective use of the controls in order to accomplish the objectives of the game: Growth of population, economic development, and positive statistics. SC300 onward, the game took a backseat to the simulation. They substituted sophistication in the controls for operative gameplay, replaced innovation in design with highly rendered sprites, and deprived the player of simple pleasure in order to provide them pleasant boredom. You watch a simulation and tweak variables essentially. What kind of game is that? Rainman might enjoy it. I don't. I want to play my games and feel like I am playing them when I am doing it. If the game runs without me, I never pick it up.

I don't even know where to get started on Civ4. It is a game, I will give it that. Just an overly saturated one with no sense of direction, no plot, no point apparent to it. Conquest was too politically incorrect as the obvious solution to the game, so taking a page from the textbooks issued to America's public school children, they made the ultimate objective a Globalist One World Government run by the U.N.. That in and of itself made me puke. I know the people who design that game aren't political scientists, nor most of the gamers who play it, but that is so improbable and so gross an abuse of the player's participation that that alone merits leaving the game on the shelf. That said, starting with Civ3 they introduced ridiculously highly rendered graphics, unnecessarily large and complex cut scenes and diplomacy screens which consumed far too much attention from the player (featuring realistic expressions, etc.) The game has clunky operation, numerous overlapping systems of controls and objectives, and basically doesn't know what to do with it self, much less offer you the opportunity to play it. See, I played CIV I when it came out. It was good. Cartoonish. Cute. Easy to play and understand. Simple in gameplay but rich with opportunities for a determined player to succeed. Like god damned Chess. Not fancy. Simple. Easy. Fun. It was a game. It played like a game. It was fun. It didn't pretend to be more than a game. I enjoyed that. It knew its place on my harddrive. Its copy protection scheme was aside from it all, easily cracked. Now they booby trap the game discs so they can't be backed up, and the software it dies under the weight of its exaggerated controls and overwrought graphics and orchestra-rendered scores.

I don't need all that. I don't need Jazz and a simulation,.. I don't need a movie, and an orchestra.

I want to sit my ass down, no muss, no fuss, boot up in less than 1 minute, type in CD SC2000 at the command prompt, and in less than a second after hitting the enter key after typing SC2000 enjoy the instant satisfaction of seeing the splash screen load, a second or two later, having the main menu right there, no movies, no bullshit... and starting a game I can easily control that has 0 lag and 0 bullshit with a nice tinny MIDI piped in the background. THAT's WHAT I WANT! AGAIN!

I want my World Leaders to make outlandish threats and unrealistic demands, and to smile their cute little cartoonish smiles as they do so. I want war, trade, and diplomacy to be the primary control interfaces. All the rest is bullshit anyway.

I want my tanks to mass and drive into enemy bases without excessive fanfare of pop-up warnings, HUD distractions, videos playing, pagers ringing, cellphones going off, faxes coming in, men with lawnmowers outside making agoddamnded racket... YOU GETTING THIS?!!

YOU UNDERSTAND ME!?

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I enjoy simple pleasures and games that are, at least, and at most, games. And nothing but.

I don't want an Orchestra playing in the background.
I don't want your little Commie politics built into my game.
I don't need your flashy videos playing in my face while I'm trying to play.
Just cut the crap and get to the game.

So you see what I'm saying here? The games ceased to be games when they became productions, and not something you could sit down and enjoy for a few minutes, or hours, with no great obligations, or investiture of opinion, or necessity to gain understanding of an arcane system of controls.

I maintain DOS games like CIV1, SC2000, DUKE3D were essentially and actually superior to the games we play today. As an aside, I happen to think the same thing has happened with movies. Modern movies do not approach classic films. But that's another subject and I'm critical of all of them.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#6 Post by Kloreep » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:49 am

Eh heh heh... stack destruction, my friend. Stack destruction. That alone means CIV > CI & CII

CIV may have a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles, but the core gameplay mechanics are definitely some of the best of the series. And as for the UN, if you don't like it, defy all the resolutions and roll your tanks over your enemies. Warmongering may not be as easy as it was in CIII, but it's still damn effective. I don't know why you think the game designers are trying to pass off a message. If there's one lesson I learned from CIV, it's that you should always invade and conquer your neighbors...

XboxNation
Peasant Status

#7 Post by XboxNation » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:15 am

Kloreep wrote:Eh heh heh... stack destruction, my friend. Stack destruction. That alone means CIV > CI & CII

CIV may have a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles, but the core gameplay mechanics are definitely some of the best of the series. And as for the UN, if you don't like it, defy all the resolutions and roll your tanks over your enemies. Warmongering may not be as easy as it was in CIII, but it's still damn effective. I don't know why you think the game designers are trying to pass off a message. If there's one lesson I learned from CIV, it's that you should always invade and conquer your neighbors...
Ah, yres. Right. My point with that is, just because I let some of them live doesn't mean I want to hear them talk or make agreements with one and other as though they were valid without my permission.

It rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again, you dig me man? The U.N. tramples on my style. Total War added Unmitigated Genocide seems, a tad, anti-social, I guess I would say? Schizophrenic relationships are completely possible even when you are the undisputed hegemonic ruler of the World. But not with the U.N., which it seems to disregard the fact you control over every other nation on Earth, if only one, one precious faggot country builds it, and some other pathetic ones assent, you are stuck with their decisions. Thus necessitating their total destruction, which they of course are oblivious to.

In CIV I the AI was predictably petty or short-sighted. That meant they were f*in smart inasmuch as they did not get knocked over early. CIV II was better for a variety of reasons, including the stack issue you mention, but frankly if you stack you lose IMHO. Choose your terrain carefully and deploy for maximum effect. I see no problem with the group loss concept, but it was poorly applied in CIV I, as much is true. CIV II was the perfect balance of all these elements.

And ultimately from a strategic standpoint, you're completely correct on this issue. From a gaming standpoint however, I believe it represents poor design to incorporate a multitude of victory strategies only to reduce them to two (UN Globalism or Militant Universal Genocide) at the end game. I see those strategies as valid THROUGHOUT the game (an ancient UN is not so inconceivable, the concept of a Republic is ancient itself.) My objection is to the incorporation of a uniform treaty and diplomatic matrix. If I wanted the game to play itself, as I said, or to watch as a NPC ruled the World, no, the answer is no. So no, no money to disgusting Firaxis or whoever makes it now.

Where is Sid Meier, and what did you do to his idea? Wikipedia explains it: He gave it to someone else to produce. Well, Sid, they didn't have your talent! Hah. The company must have simply gotten away from him, he's still with it.

Sigh. Who else played Tank Wars back in the day? Shufflepuck?

Lemmings?

Those were games. These days, these things the put on the shelves are not.