So, You Wanna Remake QFG?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: So, You Wanna Remake QFG?

#26 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:19 am

Presumably portal magic is a bit hardier than just Far-Seeing. It makes sense since it's implied that portals are ritual magic. Plus, the Demon Wizard admitted the Gate Orb was drained by posessing the Laibon, so perhaps there was a short period of time that the drain effect was inactive.

Rask
Peasant Status

#27 Post by Rask » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:30 am

Brainiac wrote:Plus, the Demon Wizard admitted the Gate Orb was drained by posessing the Laibon, so perhaps there was a short period of time that the drain effect was inactive.
Really? Where?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#28 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:32 am

Right at the end, in the converation between the Wizard and the Master before you start fighting.

You can find the text at 4:00 into ADVRipper4's 88th QfG3 video. Oh, and it was the Leopardman Chief who was posessed to kill the Simbani Laibon, not vice-versa. My mistake.

Rask
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Rask » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:44 am

Ooh, his sound effects sound awesome in that video. I wonder if it's possible to make DOSBox do that. Back in the day when I ran Win98 or so, I set the game to General MIDI and it sounded pretty sweet. DOSBox has the authentic sound of the SB16, but... it has the authentic sound of the SB16.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#30 Post by Goilveig » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:15 am

Rask wrote:Ooh, his sound effects sound awesome in that video. I wonder if it's possible to make DOSBox do that. Back in the day when I ran Win98 or so, I set the game to General MIDI and it sounded pretty sweet. DOSBox has the authentic sound of the SB16, but... it has the authentic sound of the SB16.
It can actually emulate a variety of sound systems.

I wish the Quest for Glory games would support the Gravis Ultrasound, because man, that is a good sound system.

I am pretty sure that YouTube video is DOSBox, with the Roland MT32 emulation for music.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#31 Post by Schloss Ritter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:41 pm

The problem lies with the fact that some of Sierra older SCI installers / engine versions wouldn't let you set music to one driver and sound effects to another. So, even with DosBox running QfG2 (original), for example, you can only use Sound Blaster for both and get sound effects with poorer music synth, or use something General Midi compliant and get no digital sound effects.

CrazyStalker
Peasant Status

#32 Post by CrazyStalker » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:28 pm

Uh... is remaking all the five games an option?

Things that I would do if I were in charge...
-New class: Bard (Solves puzzles by speaking to people and charming, lying, or persuading them...)
-More side-quests!
-More class upgrades:
Fighter->Paladin (This is already in the games, after all...)
Wizard->Scholar (Now he can make potions and use some technological gizmos!)
Thief->Assassin (Work for the local mafia as a "problem-solver"! It's Quest for Glory, not Hero's Quest, after all!
Bard->Diplomat (It would be like a non-violent Paladin... this class could make QFG3 very interesting!)

gogogoff
Royal Servant Status

#33 Post by gogogoff » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:54 pm

Lots more Side Quests,

for the Thief, WAY more places to ROB 5 or so a game.
For the Wiz, way more things to do, more games, Staff stuff, in QG1&2
Fighter, having a Tournament in all games where you can become Grand Master of that land.
For the Paladin, more things to do like, in QG2 have to rescue a Cat person from the desert, Be able to become a Paladin in QG1 also.

Just have more things to do in each city, more fights, more spells, more Paladin ability's, etc etc

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#34 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:25 pm

Heh. I love how easy it is to suggest "MORE" but people don't realize what the entails, really.

Plus, I don't think the Hero should be able to become a Paladin in QFG1. He's never even encountered one. Rakeesh is the first he's met.

Bt

gogogoff
Royal Servant Status

#35 Post by gogogoff » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:32 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:Heh. I love how easy it is to suggest "MORE" but people don't realize what the entails, really.

Plus, I don't think the Hero should be able to become a Paladin in QFG1. He's never even encountered one. Rakeesh is the first he's met.

Bt

true but based one what he did in QG1 he should be able to become one somewhere in the middle of QG2.

and if you want me to go in detail I can, I could not get to sleep the other night and thought up a lot of things

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#36 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:54 pm

Heh, QFG5 went partially along in the "more"-trend. Those who wanted more weapons, more spells and more returning characters definitely got what they wanted. Of course, when following the "more"-trend, it's difficult to give all those new elements room in the game...half of them ends up being snowed under and not really getting time to shine.

Ditto for places to steal from. The rewarding feeling would diminish if you could get a truckload of places to break into. (that's leaving the time it takes to design it out of things)