So, You Wanna Remake QFG?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

gamemaniax
Peasant Status

So, You Wanna Remake QFG?

#1 Post by gamemaniax » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:41 am

just wondering, IF you can remake QFG, what feature will you do / add to the game?

for me, its:
Title: Quest for Gloriana
Background Story:
Five years after being the King of Silmaria, your kingdom was suddenly invaded by hordes of monsters of unknown origin. This time they mean business. Even the combined forces of Rakeesh, Erana, and all your fellow friends are no match for the incoming waves of monsters. Your team of heroes fight to the very end and took out thousands of those furious beings before you started to realize...there is no end to this. In the last minute, Erana opened a portal back to the sacred garden near Simbani village only to find Tarna, Simbani and the Lepoardmen village are in flames... Suddenly you heard Erasmus' voice in your head requesting help saying Spielburg were under attack as well...What has happened?

Game Feature:
1. Build your stronghold from scratch (kinda like the stronghold in Suikoden 2)
2. Train and command your armies in a mini war game (more like mini turn based game)
3. Recruit friends, heroes, and villains from your past adventures to aid and lead your army

Combat Feature:
1. 2D realtime combat mode as in QFG4 and Tales of Eternia
2. Fight along friends and villains (a group of 4 ppl) in one screen
3. Combo and special moves are now enabled
4. Only Fighter can Dual Wield swords and axes
5. Paladin can do Shield Bash to push and knock back opponent
6. Thief can now fight unarmed (martial artist)

Wizard:
*Due to the nature of war, wizard is forced to upgrade the function of his spells*
0. QFG5 wizard spells become obselete
1. Open: Can open inflicted wounds to cause damage over time
2. Zap: Auto-Cast feature, will decrease MP with every attacks made by weapon
3. Calm: Slows oppoent's movement and attack speed
4. Fetch: 5% to disarm opponent
5. Force Bolt: added ability to push back opponent
6. Levitate: haste movement and attack speed
7. Aura: Regen ability
8. Flame Dart: Charge to become Dragonfire
9. Summon Staff: when spell cast with staff, all effect and damage x 1.5

haradan
Knight Status

Re: So, You Wanna Remake QFG?

#2 Post by haradan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:54 am

I think you should call it World of Glorcraft or something like that! :lol

What happened to the adventure side of Quest for Glory?

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#3 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:38 am

Yeah, plus it would be technically a sequel and not a remake. Remember, a remake is something old that you either 'update' or create once again from scratch. If you start over from QFG 1 once again and move forward in a different path, it's a reboot. :rollin

Seriously, even though I was mildly disappointed in the end of QFG 5, it was an adequate ending... a very open ended one, but still adequate. If the hero refuses and wants more adventure (or if a paladin, he goes on to other quests to save more nations and people) or just opts to retire quietly after having saved no less than 5 lands from danger and settles down in Silmaria on whatever fortune he made during his adventures there, or becomes the Chief Thief... or, as a wizard, he returns to the WIT to make his training to become a master wizard (or perhaps just goes under Erasmus's wing... he did save his life after all and I think it wouldn't be that much to ask).

There, it's all fodder for the imagination and for FanFic writing. However my fanfic writing days are long since over... but maybe I should write a parody based on an idea I made up nearly 8 years ago! :D Quest for Infamy: So you want to be a villain!

Till next time stay cool 8))

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:44 am

Paladinlover wrote:... but maybe I should write a parody based on an idea I made up nearly 8 years ago! :D Quest for Infamy: So you want to be a villain!
<sends Bt and Klytos over to have a chat>

:p

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:49 am

Paladinlover wrote:but maybe I should write a parody based on an idea I made up nearly 8 years ago! :D Quest for Infamy: So you want to be a villain!

THAT is a good, good idea.

Scribbles furiously.

Bt

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#6 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:03 am

Right, you guys want the idea? I wrote it when I was bored and I posted it on a poll format (something which was very common on the old boards, and when QFG was the main subject we spoke about.)

Are you guys sure you want me to give you the basic main idea of the plot I had in mind? It might have been 8 years ago, it's still fairly strong in my head. BTW, people found it demented yet highly imaginative and it was what caused Almirena to love what I can come up with! :rollin :alien: :rollin :rollin 8))

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#7 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:48 am

Guys, may I ask you a question? Do you really want me to post it here or would like it PMed? :rollin

Chief
Knight Status

#8 Post by Chief » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:13 am

yes post it.. why not??

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#9 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:15 am

I will, tomorrow. I wrote the parody ideas for the first two games, I still got 3, 4, and 5 to dig out of my memory and 'update' it a bit. :p

Till next time stay cool :Cool:

gamemaniax
Peasant Status

#10 Post by gamemaniax » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:34 am

Well, its just that the way i see it, the hero fights ALONE and not alongside his friends. and what can be more perfect than having an ending with all friends and villains living in one kingdom THEY help to create. and the battle with the dragon in QFG5 with all your friends helping along kinda cool.

Q:What happened to the adventure side of Quest for Glory?
A: the adventure still there, just changes in some aspect of the game.

Hero: So, how do u defeat Earth Elemental?
Rakeesh: Here take my sword and bash 'em
Hero. Why don't you?
Rakeesh: My leg hurt.
Hero: OOkay

Hero: So, how do u defeat the demon wizard?
Rakeesh: Seek him in the lost city.
Hero: Let's go together! It will be awesome
Rakeesh: Um. im kinda busy with my wife at the moment

Hero: Help me with the dragon. my pally friend!
Rakeesh: Uh... im kinda busy tanning my skin on this stone :D
Hero: . . . .

murphy
Peasant Status

#11 Post by murphy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Paladinlover wrote:
There, it's all fodder for the imagination and for FanFic writing. However my fanfic writing days are long since over... but maybe I should write a parody based on an idea I made up nearly 8 years ago! :D Quest for Infamy: So you want to be a villain!

Whoops.

techie775
Knight Status

#12 Post by techie775 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:46 pm

gamemaniax wrote:
Hero: So, how do u defeat Earth Elemental?
Rakeesh: Here take my sword and bash 'em
Hero. Why don't you?
Rakeesh: My leg hurt.
Hero: OOkay

Hero: So, how do u defeat the demon wizard?
Rakeesh: Seek him in the lost city.
Hero: Let's go together! It will be awesome
Rakeesh: Um. im kinda busy with my wife at the moment

Hero: Help me with the dragon. my pally friend!
Rakeesh: Uh... im kinda busy tanning my skin on this stone :D
Hero: . . . .
:lol

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#13 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:05 pm

murphy wrote:
Paladinlover wrote:

Whoops.
No Whoops. even though I heard about Infamous Adventures in the last year or so, I came up with the Quest for infamy parody in 2000. :)

Goilveig
Knight Status

#14 Post by Goilveig » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:59 am

The only game I'd like to remake would be QFG3, mainly to:

* Adjust the plot to get rid of obscure event triggers
* Force the players to free manu & help the thief before those characters will help them
* Increase the opportunities to train certain skills
* Add back some of the keyboard shortcuts
* Improve the plot of the Thief arc

Of course, adding more content (especially thief-related) would be good too.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:09 am

Goilveig wrote:The only game I'd like to remake would be QFG3, mainly to:

* Adjust the plot to get rid of obscure event triggers
* Force the players to free manu & help the thief before those characters will help them
* Increase the opportunities to train certain skills
* Add back some of the keyboard shortcuts
* Improve the plot of the Thief arc

Of course, adding more content (especially thief-related) would be good too.
Did someone forget fixing the points issues?

Rask
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Rask » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:44 pm

It's hard to balance the obscure-plot-trigger problem with the realism problem. The fact that Manu will take you to the lost city and pretend like he knows you, regardless of whether you freed him or not, is somewhat annoying to me... but after the peace conference, were this not the case, you'd be up the creek. Similarly, if Harami didn't take over fighting your demon self, you'd die.

As much as it's tempting to suggest they pull a QFG1 and just let you continue the game without Manu/Harami ever entering/re-entering the picture (in the way that you can finish QFG1 without helping Barnard)... it'd just render the game unwinnable after a certain point, rather than winnable-but-not-the-good-way, and some people may not have a save far enough back.

Maybe the solution is to delay Johari's appearance until after you've triggered the Harami and Manu events? On the one hand, this fixes the problem of their later appearances not making any sense, but on the other, it may drive new (and some old) players insane, having to guess where the event trigger is hiding.

In my humble opinion, QFG1 is the strongest of the games because of its relative nonlinearity and open-endedness. (But... come to think of it, if you import a character from QFG1 up to QFG4 without driving Baba Yaga out of Spielburg, shouldn't she not appear in Mordavia? :D Food for thought.)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Rask wrote:In my humble opinion, QFG1 is the strongest of the games because of its relative nonlinearity and open-endedness. (But... come to think of it, if you import a character from QFG1 up to QFG4 without driving Baba Yaga out of Spielburg, shouldn't she not appear in Mordavia? :D Food for thought.)
Actually, the problem isn't her being in Mordavia; that could just be her deciding to move after the Hero returned the Baron's kids. The problem is the presumption that you did transform her into a frog.

Rask
Peasant Status

#18 Post by Rask » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:07 am

Brainiac wrote: Actually, the problem isn't her being in Mordavia; that could just be her deciding to move after the Hero returned the Baron's kids. The problem is the presumption that you did transform her into a frog.
Point conceded. In two games' time, she could have conceivably gotten tired of the things Spielburg offers for her consumption. (har har) However, the frog transformation must be interpreted as being temporary. She did, after all, teleport you out of the hut and make it fly away, both whilst a member of the species called Rana. =D

Goilveig
Knight Status

#19 Post by Goilveig » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:46 am

Rask wrote:It's hard to balance the obscure-plot-trigger problem with the realism problem. The fact that Manu will take you to the lost city and pretend like he knows you, regardless of whether you freed him or not, is somewhat annoying to me... but after the peace conference, were this not the case, you'd be up the creek. Similarly, if Harami didn't take over fighting your demon self, you'd die.
Both could be pretty simply solved:

1. If you didn't already rescue Manu, instead of just finding Manu after the peace conference, you find him in the trap. Then you free him and he immediately takes you to his city.

2. At the end of the peace conference, instead of locking you out of Tarna, you get locked in as the liontaurs prepare for war. You have to befriend Harami who knows a secret way out of the city.

They're both simple, nonobscure, and plausible event triggers.

Rask
Peasant Status

#20 Post by Rask » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:05 am

Goilveig wrote:2. At the end of the peace conference, instead of locking you out of Tarna, you get locked in as the liontaurs prepare for war. You have to befriend Harami who knows a secret way out of the city.
Points for cleverness... but would it be pull-off-able? I mean, if Tarna has those massive, elaborate gates on the entrance, it seems like the rest of it would be surrounded by a wall, limiting opportunities for secret ways out. If the hero is about 6 feet tall and the game's scale factor is to be believed, those gates are 25 to 30 feet high... egress of any sort seems like it would be pretty hard to manage.

...Then again, Troy had a secret tunnel.

But if Tarna had such a thing, how would Harami of all people know about it? It seems like Rakeesh would, if anyone would.

I dunno. *thinker pose*

Goilveig
Knight Status

#21 Post by Goilveig » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:53 am

Rask wrote: But if Tarna had such a thing, how would Harami of all people know about it? It seems like Rakeesh would, if anyone would.

I dunno. *thinker pose*
It could be something like a smuggler's tunnel or a storm sewer or someplace that Rakeesh probably doesn't muck about in. I mean, he probably has never had a reason to not just walk out the main gates, as even though he's no longer King, I expect his travel is not restricted. And Harami would know more about smuggling than anyone else ingame.

'Course, the other plot difficulty with that would be why you don't just get a magical portal out, the portals being the deux ex machina for so much of the rest of the plot.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#22 Post by Senor Matt » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:22 pm

Well I always got the impression from the opening of QFG3 that those portals took a lot of time and effort to make. I believe that Aziza says at the little meeting that a portal will be opened in a week or something like that, I believe that they had to schedule a time like that in order to coordinate things. Thus I don't think that Rakeesh's wife could just wave a wand and make a portal. Thus the need to get out fast, or leave by a secret way.
Last edited by Senor Matt on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rask
Peasant Status

#23 Post by Rask » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:54 am

There are two portals in the game -- the one from Shapeir to Tarna and the one from Tarna to the Lost City. The portal from Tarna to the Lost City happens in (conveniently) the time it takes for you to walk there (about two nights, if I recall)... of course, Kreesha probably started preparing the portal to the Lost City as soon as she could. This begs the question, though, of whether it was even necessary for you to hoof it all the way to the lost city, but for the plot point of you bumping into Manu.

Additionally, Kreesha had said earlier that any spell she tried to perform to find out what was going on was getting drawn east into the gate orb, to keep the world gate open, and that she didn't want to perform any more magic in that area, lest its power be absorbed and used to let more demons cross through the world gate. How she managed to open a portal so close to the site of the gate orb, let alone get three humans and a liontaur through it, is cause for curiosity...

(My, but I ramble a lot.)

EDIT: Four humans. Silly me.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#24 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:05 am

The logical analysis is that Kreesha was aware of the prophecy requiring five allies' presence (as was Rakeesh) and took the risk of feeding the Gate Orb to get everyone needed to the Lost City. It was likely the only way to pull this off since she and the others were all inside Tarna when the gates were shut and were thus barred from leaving.

Rask
Peasant Status

#25 Post by Rask » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:12 am

Fair enough, but the problem lies not only in the risk of feeding the gate orb, but the risk of having the spell completely absorbed, such that Kreesha's MP is drained into the gate orb and doesn't open the portal at all. Her comments from earlier in the game seem to indicate this is what happened when she tried to see what was going on -- not only was the magic drawn east, she wasn't able to see what she was trying to focus on.