The most evil Sierra Person

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: The most evil Sierra Person

#26 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:55 pm

In my opinion, evil and ignorance don't combine well. For me to see something as evil and not horribly misguided, a certain "knowing-but-not-caring" must be present. Someone turning his own ignorance into a weapon is just being a zealot. Someone turning someone else's ignorance into a weapon, now THAT's evil.

Kotskoets
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by Kotskoets » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:58 pm

Roberta Williams... I can see the devil in those eyes.

Just a lil joke folks! I guess the demon wizard in QFG3! Or that pal of his in the world gate. What an evil SON OF A GUN.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#28 Post by Asrai » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:13 pm

Erpy wrote:Someone turning his own ignorance into a weapon is just being a zealot. Someone turning someone else's ignorance into a weapon, now THAT's evil.
Hmmmm... interesting point. But that begs the question, can't zealotry be a form of evil? But now we're getting out into the deeper waters of the whole what are good and evil really? And I don't think even the greatest philosophical minds in history could really come up with a satisfactory answer that everybody agrees on, so to continue my original analogy to the extreme, I'm going to turn around and swim back to shore now. :p

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#29 Post by FatherGhostface » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Well of course Manannan from KQ3 is the evilest! I mean seriously talk about a black heart, although I kind of-sort of-a little bit find Abdul Alhazered from KQ6 pretty evil himself considering he savagely murdered the King and Queen in their beds, around the time they were still missing Cassima. Now THAT is the act of one seriously evil dude. He's conniving and manipulative, he didn't really need magic for some of the pain he caused, except for Shamir (can't spell his name!) the Genie that used his powers to spread the islands apart (although I think they split by themselves, argggh, correct me if I'm wrong!).

Now if I had to pick someone OUTSIDE of the Sierra world, I would say KEFKA from Final Fantasy 6 is totally the most evil villain of all. (Sorry, I know it's only sierra villains, but this was just too tempting) Kefka actually succeeded in destroying the world. He molded and crafted it into whatever he desired and became the God of Magic himself. He was also different from all the other FF villains because he had a real personality along with a kick-arse laugh. He, IMO, is THE BEST villain of ALL the gaming world. Sorry Sephiroth fans... ;)

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#30 Post by Vildern » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Kind of surprised no one has yet to mention "not so good old" Cedrick. He was more of a pain than that Mordack dude.

Yendor
Peasant Status

#31 Post by Yendor » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Brainiac wrote:
Blackthorne519 wrote:Ken Williams.
Heh-heh-heh; I was wondering how long it would be until someone went with real-world Sierra people. Leave it to Bt.
Hey, he appears in games. That totally counts.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#32 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:19 pm

Indeed. Mostly in Space Quest. A brief cameo in an older version of SQ1AGI and as an employee-whipping taskmaster in SQ3.

Luna
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Luna » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:20 pm

In QFG ... I'd say Ad Avis, not for the Trial by Fire game, I never really despised him until QFGIV. Then again, one could blame the master for how bad he turned out..... not that nice people go looking for that sort of a tutor.

frankts1
Peasant Status

#34 Post by frankts1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:55 am

Well that's easy. KQII has the most evil characters compared to any of the games mentioned. Hagatha and Dracula are pure evil. No chit-chat, no screwing around. If they see you, they will kill you. Period.

MusicallyInspired

#35 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:29 pm

So were the enemies from KQ1. I wouldn't necessarily call that evil, though. I think Manannan is more evil than that. This guy kidnaps kids from the cradle, makes them do his bidding for 18 years, and then kills them off again. That's pretty twisted.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#36 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:12 am

I would say Ad Avis or Sludge Vohaul. Jessie Bains was kind of a douche but no where near overly evil. Of course Van Glower was the evilest of all though

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#37 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:05 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:Of course Van Glower was the evilest of all though
Now THAT is a statement in demand of debate.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#38 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:36 pm

I never really saw Von Glower as evil. He pretty much explains it in his philosophy. Nature can be cruel, but it is purposeful. It does not waste or torture. I always saw Von Glower as someone who had no way out of a predicament he was in through no fault of his own and had decided to embrace it, rather than fight it. If anything, he was to be pitied.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#39 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:22 pm

Erpy wrote:I never really saw Von Glower as evil. He pretty much explains it in his philosophy. Nature can be cruel, but it is purposeful. It does not waste or torture. I always saw Von Glower as someone who had no way out of a predicament he was in through no fault of his own and had decided to embrace it, rather than fight it. If anything, he was to be pitied.
Nicely put, Erpy. I agree wholeheartedly.

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#40 Post by malekdarshin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:31 am

Roberta Williams.

Anyone that cute has to have an S&M closet somewhere.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#41 Post by Senor Matt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:44 pm

FatherGhostface wrote:
Now if I had to pick someone OUTSIDE of the Sierra world, I would say KEFKA from Final Fantasy 6 is totally the most evil villain of all. (Sorry, I know it's only sierra villains, but this was just too tempting) Kefka actually succeeded in destroying the world. He molded and crafted it into whatever he desired and became the God of Magic himself. He was also different from all the other FF villains because he had a real personality along with a kick-arse laugh. He, IMO, is THE BEST villain of ALL the gaming world. Sorry Sephiroth fans... ;)
I think that Kefka and the Joker both have a lot of similarities. I believe that while many people would be willing to llie, cheat, steal, or even kill, they almost always have some rationalization for it. Perhaps telling themselves that the victim was different from them and therefore bad. Or the worse ones would kill, but only if they stood to gain something for it. Those two reasons, gain or hate, are pretty much the reasons behind 99% of all evil acts. But with Kefka and the Joker the motivation is something completely inhuman, they're both just cold blooded killers. They don't kill out of hate or to gain anything, they just kill and cause chaos just for the sake of killing and causing chaos, because they enjoy it, they enjoy causing pain and destruction. That, in my mind, is true evil.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#42 Post by Klytos » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:54 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Indeed. Mostly in Space Quest. A brief cameo in an older version of SQ1AGI and as an employee-whipping taskmaster in SQ3.
Many more appearances in LSL than SQ.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#43 Post by pbpb33 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Brainiac wrote:
ATMachine wrote:I'm curious as to why you think Mark Crowe deserves to be included.
Ask Scott Murphy.
From what I've read, it seems that Scott Murphy has badmouthed nearly everyone he worked with (unless I'm mistaken, that list included Ken Williams, Al Lowe, Roberta Williams, Josh Mandel, Mark Crowe, Bill Davis, etc.). In that sense, I think Mark Crowe is in good company. At what point after criticizing almost everyone else do you start to wonder whether the problem is your own?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#44 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:28 pm

pbpb33 wrote:
Brainiac wrote:
ATMachine wrote:I'm curious as to why you think Mark Crowe deserves to be included.
Ask Scott Murphy.
From what I've read, it seems that Scott Murphy has badmouthed nearly everyone he worked with (unless I'm mistaken, that list included Ken Williams, Al Lowe, Roberta Williams, Josh Mandel, Mark Crowe, Bill Davis, etc.). In that sense, I think Mark Crowe is in good company. At what point after criticizing almost everyone else do you start to wonder whether the problem is your own?
Possibly after nearly a year?

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#45 Post by FatherGhostface » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:51 pm

I looked up Scott Murphy online...he sounds lovely. :p

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#46 Post by pbpb33 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:08 pm

That's not to say that I don't believe Murphy might not have some legitimate gripes... and who doesn't hold at least one or two grudges from the past? But I believe his credibility takes a hit when he badmouths SO many different people, including "a programmer who will go unnamed at least for now" who Murphy years later describes as not working very hard. What, is Murphy threatening to out this supposed lazy programmer so many years later? The whole thing is silly. His whole diatribe just comes across as immature, unprofessional, bitter and more revealing of Murphy himself than anything else. It was also a bit strange how, near the end of the profanity-laced diatribe, Murphy essentially praises Roberta Williams and others, doubles back and says that good times were had by all.

MusicallyInspired

#47 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:09 pm

pbpb33 wrote:
Brainiac wrote:
Ask Scott Murphy.
Scott's said that he and Josh Mandel are good friends to this day. I believe he posted that on the Tell Tale Games forums when someone incorrectly stated that he was at odds with Josh. And it's no secret that Scott has had problems with Ken Williams...even since the beginning....in fact nearly everyone at Sierra thought so because he was a hardcore boss. He's been made fun of several times in Sierra games.

UnknownHero
Peasant Status

#48 Post by UnknownHero » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:35 pm

I dunno... it's pretty hard to see something really evil when so much comedy is applied... I'd have no say none.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#49 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:20 pm

You can't say none of them are the most evil unless you mean there is no evil in Sierra games, otherwise you're saying every character is equally evil meaning that Mother Goose is just as evil as Baba Yaga. Looking back At Erpy's post I also kind of misread the topic. I think Von Glower was my favorite villain but not necessarily the most evil. Straight up Evil I'm stuck between Manannan, Ad Avis and Vohaul... Maybe Mordak over Manannan now that I think about it, he went too far with his revenge plot and had a slave girl just for kicks.