What chance is there for a new Quest for Glory Anthology?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Senor Matt
Knight Status

What chance is there for a new Quest for Glory Anthology?

#1 Post by Senor Matt » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:24 pm

Here is a question for everyone at AGDinteractive. I know that Vivendi released a new collection of the King's Quest and Space Quest series, which I own. But what do you think the chances are of them releasing another collection for Quest for Glory? And what do you think the chances are that they might include your game in with that collection?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Spanky
Royal Servant Status

Re: What chance is there for a new Quest for Glory Anthology?

#2 Post by Spanky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:57 pm

I was very disappointed with the Space Quest and King's Quest anthologies, so I doubt I'd ever buy a Quest for Glory anthology if it were released. They pretty come with one or two cds, with all the games and pdf files of the manuals, and it's all run under a dos emulator. So, as a fan who already owns the games, I really have no need for an anthology. And by the way, you CAN get the original games to work perfectly on your computer. There are patches and dos emulators available online. All free, of course.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#3 Post by Senor Matt » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:42 pm

Yeah, I know I can get the games and I already have a previous anthology and QFG 5 but I just wanted to get an actual box and all, plus a new release would probably have taken care of all the bugs.

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:56 am

They didn't fix any bugs for the latest anthologies, so there's no reason to think they'd do so for a QfG one.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Asrai » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:14 am

Although buying those games is probably a good way to let them know that there is still interest in these old games and make them more likely to re-release QfG. Even if they release them bugs and all, at least there would be new copies of them out there so that people who really want to play the games but can't afford to pay an arm and a leg for them on eBay, won't turn to illegal downloads.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:18 am

Everybody who enjoys the QFG2 remake should contact Vivendi and Sierra and request that a new QFG Collection be released. If Vivendi see a big demand for one, then it will make sense for them to release one.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:49 am

Hold up. Do we know for a fact who's going to own the licenses in a little while? My understanding is the newly-formed Activision Blizzard is still planning to drop these.

Chief
Knight Status

#8 Post by Chief » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:22 am

how do we contact them, do you happen to have an address?

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Everybody who enjoys the QFG2 remake should contact Vivendi and Sierra and request that a new QFG Collection be released. If Vivendi see a big demand for one, then it will make sense for them to release one.

Broomie
The Enigma

#9 Post by Broomie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:56 am

Why is there so much dislike for the new collections? Vivendi have re-released all the classics again. So what if they just added Dosbox? Sure, to people like you and me that's just an easy way of saying it works with XP, but to others who have never played them before or who aren't technical savvy but loved the series before this is great news! And it's not just about the emulation either, it's the fact the games are readily available again legally. No need searching through Abandonware sites when for about $10 you can get the series off Amazon or in your local shop!

I'd like to see a QFG Collection too! But as Brainiac has mentioned it's only a matter of time when the fate of the licenses are revealed. I just hope it's done soon before it's too late!

hypn
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by hypn » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Broomie wrote:Why is there so much dislike for the new collections?
Didn't have the original SQ1 - only the VGA :(

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#11 Post by Senor Matt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:56 pm

I wasn't aware that there was anything going on with the licensing. Can anybody tell me what is going on there? Is Vivendi going to sell the copyrights for those Sierra characters?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:06 pm

Nobody knows. Obviously, if there's not going to be an interested party, they'll keep hold of them themselves.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#13 Post by Schloss Ritter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:27 pm

Erpy wrote:Nobody knows. Obviously, if there's not going to be an interested party, they'll keep hold of them themselves.

"Interested" as in Vivendi-Activision-Blizzard-whatever will ask for too much money for another company to be interested and too much for the original designers to afford. Grr, I hate when companies just squat on Trademarks, etc. >:

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#14 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Well, they mentioned that they only want to hold on to a few titles. If they dislike them that much perhaps they'll sell them for as cheap as they can get rid of them. I just hope whoever gets them (if anyone) will make a better home for them than Vivendi did.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:55 pm

Two words. Jane Jensen. I'd donate whatever I could if she would get a hold of them.

Beverheim
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Beverheim » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:43 am

Well, if they're not planning to do anything more for the qfg-series than to make a crappy anthology with no extras, then it's better they don't. In a just world they would sell the IP cheaply to someone with a love for the games and a desire to continue the stories. Like the people at AGDInteractive. Not just using the brand to sell the same old games one more time - just in a cheaper wrapping this time. Jeezes, what did Vivendi actually do for those old Sierra classics? Except for releasing that horrible new Leisure suit Larry game >:

MeshGearFox
Peasant Status

#17 Post by MeshGearFox » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:06 am

I wouldn't mind a new collection. I mean, honestly, they don't even have to put the thing in a box. Just throw the thing up on Steam. My only concern is that I'd really like QfG EGA and VGA both included. I love VGA's art but I'm curious how the original played too.

Truthfully I don't have a problem with abandonware from an ethical standpoint (and it's not likely Corey and Lori would actually get paid anything if a new collection came out anyway, from what I understand about who owns rights to the things) but actually having a legal copy of something... I don't know. I'm a collector, I guess, and the stuff on eBay is... well, QfG anthology's running about 130 dollars on average, now? I mean, I'll keep looking at Flea Markets and Half Price Books & Mores, but...

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#18 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:43 am

Actually, Lori and Corey do still get paid royalties from any sales of the Quest for Glory games, which is another reason why having an official QFG collection would be a nice idea.

It would be great if we (or someone with equal respect for honoring the classic Sierra titles) could obtain the rights for the 'Quest' titles as then the legacy can be continued in a commercial way. Fan-made games are all well and good, but there comes a point where you reach the limits of what's possible, your exposure is maxed-out, and you start doing more harm that good to the overall adventure genre.

Any commercially released "Quest" game is always going to have a wider reach than a fan-made project, which is why the IP should ideally be in the possession of people who will use it to its potential (not try and make hack-and-slash clones like MOE, that are thinly disguised as a KQ title trying to emulate whatever genre is selling big at the time). Traditionally, these games are adventures. They should remain that way, even as commercial titles. If an IP is considered 'not lucrative enough' for a big company like Vivendi to produce, then they will only horde those titles for years without any intention of doing anything with them. It seems far better to place the IP in the hands of capable indie developers who are in a better position to do something useful with the IP - even if it's licensed out to the indie developer and the IP owner is receiving revenue from the sales.

Vivendi/Activision will probably sell the IP to the highest bidder. But on the other hand, if they retain the rights, and if enough fans are vocal on the subject I think they would notice the demand. We already have Vivendi's attention after releasing three self-funded Sierra games, after all. And that's probably the best advantage one could have have to negotiate anything with them.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#19 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:17 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Vivendi/Activision will probably sell the IP to the highest bidder. But on the other hand, if they retain the rights, and if enough fans are vocal on the subject I think they would notice the demand. We already have Vivendi's attention after releasing three self-funded Sierra games, after all. And that's probably the best advantage one could have have to negotiate anything with them.
You know, one could almost interpret that as Himalaya Studios attempting to buy out the Sierra licenses... :p

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#20 Post by Senor Matt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:09 pm

Yeah, why don't the AGD's just buy them? I'm sure they have a few million dollars lying around that they aren't using. ;)

MeshGearFox
Peasant Status

#21 Post by MeshGearFox » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Do Corey and Lori get royalties for the QfG games on Gametap? I'm not entirely sure how that system works, really.

Anyway, the Quest for Glory games are oldschool, but 1, 3, and 4 have VGA versions, and while EGA can be off-putting (not that QfG2 looks bad or anything. We're not talking Ultima 4, here), I don't think any modern gamers would be that bothered by VGA artwork (and if they went up on Steam or something anyway, that's got a very large oldschool gaming base, there), and while I can't speak directly about any of the games other than 2, 2's definitely not something that's niche or something only a hardcore gamer could enjoy, and I assume the rest of the games are the same way. I have a hard time seeing them having an only limitted appeal.