I just found this....

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Luna
Peasant Status

I just found this....

#1 Post by Luna » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:18 am

Wow, my parents raised me, a little, on the Quest for Glory series. They used it to help me learn to read, and never let me play the remake version of QFGI so I'd have to learn to type and spell. They thought it was better than the educational games because it could be, sort of, educational, without being an educational game... so it was fun. And it was. This is very nice to find. Um, I downloaded it, but I realized after downloading it that I want to play the others too... I'd like to play it all in order.

I have a problem with playing the others though. I have my parent's old dusty Quest for Glory Anthology CD and, after lots and lots of digging, I even found their QFGV Dragon Fire CD. But... well, QFGIV and QFGV have never run right on even my older computers.... (QFGV tends to not run at all) let alone this computer. And QFG I and QFG III have bunches of problems when I try and run them. Oddly the old QFG II is the only one I don't have any trouble running... *boggles*

It's probably a common new person question, and I'm really, really, sorry if it bugs anyone... but, well, how do I get the old games running?

I have .... a near non-existent knowledge of such things. I remember a loooooong time ago someone told me I needed either an old old computer or something to slow down my computer for QFGIV to prevent this part where I'd get stuck in the swamp in a continuous loop. Another person talked about patches... but But... I've no idea where to look for stuff like that. Well, geez... I don't know a lot... does anyone know about this stuff? I sure don't...

If possible I'd like to get them all running just fine, and be able to import from one to the other. When I found this remake I had this horrible nostalgia attack....

Help? :(

Goilveig
Knight Status

Re: I just found this....

#2 Post by Goilveig » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:46 am

The anthology CD is perfect :) I just played through them all just as you intend to, using the anthology (and, of course, QFG2 VGA).

http://www.dosbox.com is what you need to get started. I think I'll code an installer for the anthology that sets up dosbox and makes shortcuts, as even I'm gonna forget how to install 4 next time I want to play it, as it's kind of involved. But for 1, which should get you started, just copy the folder into a place where DosBox has access, and run it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:55 am

Be sure to check out the Newrisingsun patches thread in this forum and go to the referred site for instructions on how to get the fan-made patches and set up the games in Dosbox for optimal performance.

Luna
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Luna » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:55 am

Erpy wrote:Be sure to check out the Newrisingsun patches thread in this forum and go to the referred site for instructions on how to get the fan-made patches and set up the games in Dosbox for optimal performance.

Sorry to bother, is this: "Warning RE: NewRisingSun's QFG4 fixes" thread the one you meant? Using the search function it's the only one that come up when I typed that in...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:22 am

Yup, that's the one. :)

Goilveig
Knight Status

#6 Post by Goilveig » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:57 am

You can also go ahead and test out my installer program if you'd like:

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtop ... 19&t=12809

Seems to work just fine so far for me.

Luna
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Luna » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:41 am

Goilveig wrote:You can also go ahead and test out my installer program if you'd like:

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtop ... 19&t=12809

Seems to work just fine so far for me.
Very kind, thank you.