Getting QFG5 to work?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Goilveig
Knight Status

Getting QFG5 to work?

#1 Post by Goilveig » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:47 pm

OK, I've read and followed all the directions on this page, and while that helped in actually getting to the title screen, once I get there, I can click "Play" and get the new character creation screen, but anything (and I mean anything) I do on that page gives me a crash to desktop. I can't import, I can't play, I can't even alter my stats.

Anyone seen this and solved it?

Chief
Knight Status

Re: Getting QFG5 to work?

#2 Post by Chief » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:49 pm

which windows version are you using?

Goilveig
Knight Status

#3 Post by Goilveig » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Windows XP SP3, 32 bit

I've tried the following in addition to what's on the site:
* Every possible level of sound and graphics acceleration
* Every possible compatibility mode with visual themes disabled

The only odd thing I can think of about my situation is that my computer doesn't have a CDROM so I installed it off a networked computer which has a CD drive. It didn't complain and there doesn't appear to be any copy protection beyond me needing to have the CD in that other machine (and it does complain if absent).

I cancelled out of the ancient Quicktime install but since I saw the intro movie just fine I assume that's working.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#4 Post by Goilveig » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:49 pm

It seems to be the 1.2 patch that does it in fact. If I run in compatibility mode, the original game will start.

Edit: Even the 1.1 patch won't work. I have to play 1.0 in all its bugginess ><

1.2 works if I delete the \Data\QGM folder. Not sure what those files are but hope they're not important.