Sierra Games playable in Browser!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Sierra Games playable in Browser!!

#1 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 am

I was going to put this into the free adventure gaming goodness thread but this deserves its own lol!!!

Sarien now works from your browser and currently LSL1, PQ1 and SQ1 are available to play ONLINE with other people too!! Can't remember the solution to a puzzle, watch a fellow gamer show you the answer or help a n00b enjoy these classic games by giving them a hand!!

This is just what I was after when I was asking about online txt adventures lol!!

http://kotaku.com/5222231/play-old-sier ... ur-browser

EDIT: LOVE the pic on Kotaku, "run from activison" lol!!!

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: Sierra Games playable in Browser!!

#2 Post by Broomie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:10 pm

This isn't anything new. They did this with Good Old Adventures about 5 or so years ago. That even played better than this as this doesn't really work. Besides, they're not the full games. Just chatrooms in certain parts of the game from what I can see.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:06 pm

Admittedly it didnt seem to work too well when I tried before, but if you read the website it says what it is, which is that you play your own single player game and so does everybody else, if you happen to be in the same room as somebody else then you can talk to them etc but in game messages and actions only appear on your screen, so you actually are playing the game, its not just a chatroom (which obviously I knew about Good Ole Adventures ages ago too).

So the game is there, he does say everything's not 100% and some games may not even be completable yet but the full game is there to play, puzzles and all etc.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:16 pm

This isn't a chat room. You see ghosts of other players in the same area as you but it's not a chat room. There is no save/restore feature, though. I thought it was pretty awesome when I tried it. Though I died due to a bug. I got as far as the mountains on Kerona in SQ1 and when I stepped onto the elevator at the arch the spider droid came down and as soon as he landed he exploded and I died. Strange as I wasn't anywhere near him and he can't get on top of the rocks where I am...oh well.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#5 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Its a fantastic idea though and once it gets polished a bit I think it could be one of the best things for adventure game fans. Why replay Sierra classics all alone when you can do it online anywhere and chat to other people while you play. Ingenious!

I'm especially excited as it means I can play them all day at work lol!! (Only don't tell my boss! Hmmm, I can sense the old Boss Screen key making a comeback lol!)

Broomie
The Enigma

#6 Post by Broomie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:01 am

This isn't a chat room.
This is a chatroom, but it's not the main fundamental of it as you can obviously play the game but you can interact with each other, a few times anyway as people just want to play the damned game! It's like playing a game of Halo and being able to chat to other people. I did judge it quite quickly however, I did think it was very good.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#7 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:45 am

I wouldnt say it technically was a chat room, like you say you can chat to people while you play Halo, does that make Halo a chatroom?

Anyway some new updates today!

Space Quest 2 is playable
The Black Cauldron is playable
The menu bar displays the amount of players in your room
A new "disable multiplayer" action has been added to the submenu
Several connection issues have been fixed

So you can now disable multiplayer if you just want to play alone, I think I might use this at work as I don't want other people running around talking while I'm trying to play the game!

hypn
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by hypn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Darn, was just about to post this ;)

Definitely not a chat room - they're fully playable (though maybe a bit buggy) and you can switch off multiplayer.

Who would've thought that old school adventure games would go MMO, hahaha.

Broomie
The Enigma

#9 Post by Broomie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:06 pm

I mean chatroom as you can talk to other people and play the game, I'm not comparing it to IRC or a typical chatroom, I just mean you're able to interact with each other if you like. If you're playing a game like Halo than you will likely chat to the other people in the game (as long as they're not 12 years old shouting FAG!) and I just compared that to a chatroom. So, yes I would say it was a chatroom but that's just an element of it, you're talking but at the same times gunnin' noob just like you're solving puzzles in this and maybe saying hi to a fellow adventurer.

However, I have completely misjudged this. I only compared it to Good Old Adventures as I started at a random point and was able to talk to people but a lot of the function didn't work until I started to use the right click. I didn't think the whole game was playable until now. This is awesome stuff.
Last edited by Broomie on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#10 Post by DrJones » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:06 pm

I was wondering why so few people were playing to Space Quest II, then I saw the vine labyrinth and discovered that you can't save the game at any point. >:

Broomie
The Enigma

#11 Post by Broomie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:45 pm

If you double click anywhere on the screen it will take you there instantly. It's not the Space Quest way but it saves you having to go back to the beginning all the time!

haradan
Knight Status

#12 Post by haradan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Not bad, it's interesting how you can help other people or just funnily watch them trying all sort of stupid things! :lol
Too bad it's still very buggy, but it'll be fun when it gets a little more polished.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:58 pm

ya I was having fun in the first room of Space Quest I telling people how to pick up the card.

Fender178
Knight Status

#14 Post by Fender178 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:06 am

Not a bad idea with the chat room along with the game. You can help people quicker.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#15 Post by Lady Pyro » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:26 am

Fender178 wrote:Not a bad idea with the chat room along with the game. You can help people quicker.
Yeah but can you imagine how lazy it will make people when it comes to solving the puzzles?

haradan
Knight Status

#16 Post by haradan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:21 am

If they are lazy enough to not solve the puzzles by themselves, chances are they wouldn't even bother to play these old games without help anyway, so it's not so bad. Besides, in these days that you can easily find any walkthrough on the internet, lazyness is almost a second nature! ;)