QfG3 bug.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Freewheeler
Peasant Status

QfG3 bug.

#1 Post by Freewheeler » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:30 am

Shocking, I know, but has anyone ever encountered a bug wherein one can't re-enter the Laibon's hut after the initiation to pay the bride price?
If so, I'd appreciate some assistance. I'd forgotten how very much half-dead this game seemed from a QA standpoint.

Goilveig
Knight Status

Re: QfG3 bug.

#2 Post by Goilveig » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:14 am

You need to wait until the following day. The game designers were expecting that you would need to go back to Tarna to buy the stuff, not try to turn it in just after the initiation.

Schrijvertje
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Schrijvertje » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:17 am

I've just started a playthrough of this game myself. It's my first time. I already looked through this forum for some advice but like you say it's rarely mentioned here.

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:10 pm

I was going to start a new thread in this forum about a QFG3 problem, but saw it's being talked about here-- I can't even get the INITIATION to start let alone buy the bride. How do I do it?!

The bug was like this: I beat Uhura at the spears and bridge. I have pretty good stats. The only thing I didn't have was a dinosaur horn.

It took DAYS before a dinosaur finally turns up on the savannah to fight me and I took its horn. By this time, the Simbani already caught the Leopardman, which I used the dispel potion on...

So I go back to talk to Uhura about the Leopard Lady and after getting puzzle points for talking about wooing her-- I kept getting this message "They don't speak your language" every time I tried talking to Uhura after that! So after I left the hut and tried talking to her again, it was the same boring dialogue she has at the beginning of the game. Same with the elders. Yesefu hasn't even been back by the Leopard's cage in days after that.

I think I'm stuck in a permanent bug loop or something...because I can now NEVER get into the Laibon's hut to give him the frigging horn and start the Initiation. How do I get past this?!? Do I need to start allllll the way from the beginning of the game because I'm only on one save file?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:42 am

Not sure, but I do remember avoiding the "woo"-topic until the very last moment because it reset Uhura's dialog tree. The rest of the NPC's trees might reset if you leave after going through their situational dialog tree once. Unless you're also completely unable to enter the laibon's hut, you shouldn't be stuck.

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:51 am

Crap crap CRAP! I can nevvvver get into the Laibon's hut. It's simply not letting me. I'll try resetting the NPC dialog trees with the elders and Uhura by exhausting all the options, but it looks like I'm stuck starting all the way from the beginning of the game! After I worked up the stats real nice too...doh.

I love Quest For Glory but this was the one game in the series I never played all the way through...now I remember why. The QA was...uh...WAS there any QA?!

I mean there's a lot of great things about this game but some of these unworkable bugs totally ruin it.

Emily_Konichi
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Emily_Konichi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:49 am

Unfortunately, I always found QFG3 to be the weakest of the games. I originally thought QFG2 was, but once I learned the parser and battle system, I enjoyed the game a lot. QFG3 is, quite simply, the weakest of the QFG games...and if it weren't for the fact that it's an important piece between 2 and 4, I'd just say skip it...I usually use the suck blue frog cheat to max stats on QFG2, then transfer to 4...oh, and when I wrote the novelization form...it took me a year to write QFG3...none of the others did...

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:00 pm

There's some cool things about QFG3. I think a lot of people are divided up between saying it's a great game or a crappy game (much like QFG5).

The classic humor's present: Sanford and Son as the junk sellers, and Kalb the over the top meat seller. Meerbats on the savannah!

There's great follow-through as you see Rakeesh and Uhura after hearing all about Tarna and the Simbani in the last game; as well as seeing a Katta merchant who wants to hear all about Shapier...and a tree-hugging hippie who's psyched about finding Julanar. The combat system's a little boring and not very challenging, but it's better than the one from QFG1 where I'd always be healthy but would die from running out of stamina. Overall, the characters are pretty are memorable.

But I think that the poor QA ruins this game. It was very buggy, and too easy to miss events or get totally screwed out of them. Some things also moved way too slow (or like the map, fast).

The map navigation...was an interesting idea that gave you something a little different. It could've actually made the game more enjoyable than frustrating if the design was better and not so faulty. I mean, QFG2's maps for the desert and city went differently than the first game and come to think of it, unique to QFG2 and it was awesome with a new level of challenge. In QFG3, it's cool to see something different yet again: but it was too flawed, like the time passes TOO fast. The way you'd try to go somewhere and you'd just click and suddenly he STOPS and that annoying music plays...argh!

QFG4 reprises the linear mapping of QFG1 which came as such a relief. Then they reprised the crappy external layout with the time ticking too fast system in QFG5 only I think it was even worse.

Training with Uhura goes too slow, even with the speed turned all the way up. Waiting for Janna to come to and from your table at the Inn...takes FOREVER.

Maybe someday QFG3 will be remade. The graphics and music (except for the random stoppage music) were nice but there were just too many bugs that made the game virtually unplayable.

Thepal
Knight Status

#9 Post by Thepal » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:12 pm

If it makes you feel better, I do remember that there is something you need to do to get into the hut in that situation.

Unfortunately I don't remember what it is.

It happened to me many times while playing. I hated that hut. :p

haradan
Knight Status

#10 Post by haradan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Mmh, I don't recall it exactly, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to restart. Thing is, the Laibon only accepts events one by one. So, if you get the horn, buy the gifts and dispel the leopard lady all in a single day, and then go to the Laibon, the game gets kind of screwed. You should try:

1) Put the horn in your storage chest and go see the Laibon. If it doesn't work, put the gifts away as well and try again.
2) Try to do things in the logical order and see the laibon after each deed. That is, A) Prisoner captured, go see the laibon B) Prisoner dispelled, go see the laibon, C) Obtain horn, go see the laibon, D) do initiation, go see the laibon E) Get gifts, go see the laibon.

That should work. About Uhura's dialog bug, don't worry about it, it doesn't affect the rest of the game.

Jack of All Trades
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Jack of All Trades » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:01 pm

I'm sorry to necropost on this but I figured it was better then starting a new topic. Does anybody have more information on this. I'm going through the exact same thing with my wizard right now and its super frustrating. I've actually maxed out not one but two hybrid characters now and the second one was killed by this bug. I'm really starting to get frustrated with this game and I would love some help here.

haradan
Knight Status

#12 Post by haradan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:04 pm

Exactly how was your character killed by the bug?

As I said, the easiest way to avoid this bug is to do things in order, even if it takes more time. If you get a horn too early in the game, put in in a chest until you need it. Seeing the laibon with a horn or gifts in your inventory is what starts screwing things around.