Gabriel Knight 1 in DosBox

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Nightfall1121
Peasant Status

Gabriel Knight 1 in DosBox

#1 Post by Nightfall1121 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi.

Has anyone tried running GK1:Sins of the Fathers in DosBox and ever had the same problems I'm currently having? For some reason, after I've mounted the C drive, completed the installation process, and started running the game, I run into the following issues:

I can't play the introduction; it crashes.

When I begin the game, there are no voices (I also tried changing the sound options for the game during installation, and it doesn't help with anything).

When Gabriel enters the room and Grace is on the phone with one of Gabriel's [many] one-night stands, the dialogue script flashes too quickly to read until you go into the "options" menu.

However, you can't adjust any of the options, such as sound, detail, music, or turning off the dialogue script, or rather, even if you adjust the bars, it has no effect.

I also tried a Windows XP installer for GK1 that someone created, and while it runs pretty well, I also can't adjust the options. The music drowns out the voices, and I can't turn off the dialogue script. The only thing I can adjust is the speed Gabriel can walk.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can remedy this (being able to adjust the sound. I don't have to turn off the dialogue script, but I'd like to at least balance out the voices and music, and also turn off the voices from time to time, for a project I'd like to work on), it'd be very appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Gabriel Knight 1 in DosBox

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:11 am

Sounds like the game isn't finding the speech file (resource.aud). Are you running the game from the CD? You have to mount your CD-ROM drive too. If you copied the files from the CD to the hard drive to play without the CD then you need to edit the resource.cfg file and change the pathways at the bottom for things like "Patches" and "resAUD" or stuff like that and make sure they're pointing to where the files actually are that it's looking for (resource.aud etc).

Mordavia
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Mordavia » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:04 am

just to let you guys know if you didnt know already that here is a website that allows you to play both Gabriel Knight 1 and 2 on win xp. here it is http://www.vogons.zetafleet.com/gkpatches/ but you need the original cd to install it on winxp. i have it both on it and it works fine.also with GK2 you can install the game fully on you computer without switching disks after every chapter. hope this helps out :D

Nightfall1121
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Nightfall1121 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:28 pm

Yes, that was the site that I got the GK Windows XP installer from. Though I used it (and am using it now to play the game), for some reason, I can't make any adjustments in the "Options" Menu, except for the speed. The music overpowers the voices, I can't turn the voices off, or turn off the dialogue script.

Do you think it was made for the newer "Collection" version of the Gabriel Knight games, or that there might be a problem with my CD? I'm using the one that was first released in 1993... from before I was old enough to play it (I was nine, and it was really for my older brother at the time, and it was a few years before the parents would allow me to play it :o .).

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:17 pm

I had to jump through the same hurdles when I played these games. Eventually there was a configuration I found where the Music would just be overpowering but adjusting it in the sliders would fix it until I restarted the game again. This also happens during some cut scenes but it's bearable. I had the speech skip problem too and I can't for the life of me remember what I did to fix it. Make sure you're playing it from where the GK2K installer put it... oh also I didn't use Dosbox at all maybe that was it. If you go to the lake on Mosley's order though be sure to save as the game can crash there.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#6 Post by Spikey » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:18 pm

I had the same trouble running the game in DosBox, but it works now.

If you hear no voices / music at the intro screen, it's not finding the CD. Make sure you mount the CD by the command "mount d d:\ -t cdrom -iotcl", and then run the game from the c:\ directory where you installed the game.

The overpowering thing happens with a certain sound configuration, mostly with the Roland option. I think it is solved with changing the soundcard option in the installation: run the install again select another option. Either Soundblaster Pro or / and Soundblaster should fix the problem.